We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Posts
    99

    Cosmetic Pets & Festival Emotes

    From the U35 notes...
    Instances - Festival consumables/skills and Cosmetic Pets are no longer useable in Instances.
    Why not just remove them from the game entirely?

    There's no reason to be grouped on landscape anymore 99% of the time, Middle Earth is basically a lobby where you wait to enter instances. You certainly don't meet many other people questing. Instances are where you meet other people.
    So what exactly is the point of cosmetic pets and festival emotes now?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    There's no reason to be grouped on landscape anymore 99% of the time, Middle Earth is basically a lobby where you wait to enter instances.
    I have no idea why you would think that. Must be some server issue. On my home server this is simply not the case.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4,112
    Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    From the U35 notes...

    Why not just remove them from the game entirely?

    There's no reason to be grouped on landscape anymore 99% of the time, Middle Earth is basically a lobby where you wait to enter instances. You certainly don't meet many other people questing. Instances are where you meet other people.
    So what exactly is the point of cosmetic pets and festival emotes now?
    Really weird conclusion. Maybe on low pop servers, but all other servers fairy crowded, and many people don't like cosmetic pets in instance. Just imagine how annoying can it be if all 12 people in raid use Large Shrew, as example. Cosmetic pets created for fun, and annoy other people with pets not fun

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    269
    To turn of the effects of Festival consumables: Options/Social Options/uncheck Enable Involuntary Emotes.
    To stop seeing cosmetic pets (other than your own): Options/Social Options/check Disable cosmetic pets.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromlin View Post
    I have no idea why you would think that. Must be some server issue. On my home server this is simply not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Really weird conclusion. Maybe on low pop servers, but all other servers fairy crowded, and many people don't like cosmetic pets in instance. Just imagine how annoying can it be if all 12 people in raid use Large Shrew, as example. Cosmetic pets created for fun, and annoy other people with pets not fun
    You're telling me you're running into other people questing in Dale or whatever? I don't believe you, sorry. Bree or Vernozal don't count, they are the biggest rooms in the lobby simulation is all. Almost all real player interaction occurs exclusively in instances. Landscape in Lotro now is entirely either solo or irrelevant 99% of the time.

    And I re-iterate, you could ALREADY disable the cosmetic pets and emotes if you wanted. This change simply removes the choice involved and forces an option on everyone, or rather the lack of options. It's completely killed my motivation to continue gathering pets and emotes and it feels like I've wasted years doing so, the only times I got to use them was with my kin in instances and we had lots of fun doing so. Now that's impossible.

  6. #6

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Really weird conclusion. Maybe on low pop servers, but all other servers fairy crowded, and many people don't like cosmetic pets in instance. Just imagine how annoying can it be if all 12 people in raid use Large Shrew, as example. Cosmetic pets created for fun, and annoy other people with pets not fun
    That is not true, my server is not low population & on the raids i run people enjoyed showing off their pets & using the emotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    You're telling me you're running into other people questing in Dale or whatever? I don't believe you, sorry. Bree or Vernozal don't count, they are the biggest rooms in the lobby simulation is all. Almost all real player interaction occurs exclusively in instances. Landscape in Lotro now is entirely either solo or irrelevant 99% of the time.

    And I re-iterate, you could ALREADY disable the cosmetic pets and emotes if you wanted. This change simply removes the choice involved and forces an option on everyone, or rather the lack of options. It's completely killed my motivation to continue gathering pets and emotes and it feels like I've wasted years doing so, the only times I got to use them was with my kin in instances and we had lots of fun doing so. Now that's impossible.
    I have exactly this same feeling, As i can see it the devs have no real justification to remove the option to use cosmetic pets & emotes on all instances. Both the pets & emotes can be dissable client side. The players that hate any critter that isn't its toon, & want no interaction other than kill orcs, can already dissable them without ruin the fun to everyone else, before this change happened. This other poster just mentioned it right before me:
    Quote Originally Posted by gcpate View Post
    • To turn of the effects of Festival consumables: Options/Social Options/uncheck Enable Involuntary Emotes.
    • To stop seeing cosmetic pets (other than your own): Options/Social Options/check Disable cosmetic pets.
    I will keep collecting my pet & emotes, but i can tell that i'm not alone on that feeling. Many my fellows in instances also said that they miss the pets & emotes fun. I'm not going to give up & let the people that hate pets win that 1.

    Maybe this can help them see things clear: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...s-on-instances
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Apr 03 2023 at 05:23 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    32

    Angry W T F keep the pets -.-

    WOW just read the notes and thats so bad.
    Disabling seeing cosmetic pets and disabling forced festival-emotes has been possible for so many years and still some people keep crying just thinking of the annoyance.

    THE BIG PROBLEM IS THAT INSTANCES ARE NOT ONLY RANDOM MEETUPS

    What about people that play together and have fun in enabling this - yes despite all odds THERE ARE COMPUTERS OUT THERE THAT CAN RUN LOTRO INSTANCES WITH PETS, CLOAKS AND VISUAL GRAPHICS!

    Really some people have fun letting their immortal pets join the battle field, some people like me also do a lot of screenshots and some themed about different pets in instances. THEY JUST KILLED THIS ????

    IS THIS TO DEAL WITH LAG ?? You better tell me Lag will be fixed from now on otherwise its just sad to see.

    Killed Sic'em to summon all your loremasters pets
    Killed pets auto-attacking for players that just liked convenience or roleplayed with aggressive pets
    Killed cosmetic pets for instances

    Someone call PETA ...
    Last edited by Hoppendi; Apr 04 2023 at 11:53 PM. Reason: W T F got censored
    Gwaihir [DE] - Specialized in Festivals, UI-Settings, Character-Management and Efficiency, scenic Screenshots, cinematic Videos, Showcase-Videos, Game-Guides, Opinions - Ultimate Grand-Master of Bullroarer's Challenge within Greenfield during Spring Festival - my favorite place in Lotro :) - Edit [Update 35.1]: It's still Lotro - just everyday a bit less.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13,146
    This is a sad change, and IMO, shouldn't be forced when players already have options to turn these things off.

    I hardly ever use a cosmetic pet out on landscape. They are more of a social play thing which I tend to use when playing in group settings with kinnies. For example, we will use pets while taking our bios between fights in raids etc, using pet names to have some fun with it. Yes, we put them to bed for the fights, but even if we didn't, so what?

    This change is anti-social. Not good in an MMO.

    Group leaders can manage these things in their instance/raid settings.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    436
    Having thought about this for a while, I agree with the decision to remove cosmetic pets and grief emotes from dungeons.

    Having to constantly toggle pets on and off is a bother--off for dungeons and festivals, on the rest of the time. Now I only need to turn them off during festivals.

    Unfortunately, the grief emote filter never worked properly and remains broken. I don't want some jerk knocking down a bunch of people with an area effect emote in the middle of a fight because other players forgot to turn on the grief emote toggle for the dungeon, or worse, the grief emote toggle does not block the grief emote in the first place.

    On many occasions I used emotes and pets in dungeons in a fun and non-disruptive way. So did my friends. I get it. However, when I am leading a group, I want people following instructions and killing stuff, not messing around with grief emotes and pets. Pick up groups attract some real jerk burgers and I have been in groups where people used these things to mess with other people. Dealing with that leads to drama. I left one pretty good raid group because that sort of thing happened a lot.

    When I put this on the scales, it actually makes my life better. I am not happy about the reality of the situation, but I cannot control other people. This change controls other people for me. I can definitely see how a group of people, all of whom enjoy messing with one another, would seriously dislike this change.

    Also, I somewhat regularly interact with strangers on the landscape, usually to help someone with a quest or to find the steed I am riding. I admit, such encounters rarely lead to a protracted interaction or friendship. However, I can write the same thing about my experience running dungeons. I met most of my friends and acquaintances through a guild or role play.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    This is a sad change, and IMO, shouldn't be forced when players already have options to turn these things off.

    [...]

    This change is anti-social. Not good in an MMO.

    Group leaders can manage these things in their instance/raid settings.
    Yes they could just make this a force option decided by the group leader, this way groups of friends or solo players can still do their screenshots. It is anti-social and anti-fun, i really hate this - lately many updates and changes were specifically bad for my playstyle lost a lot of fun. But this tops most other Anti-QoL they dropped within the last 2 years.

    And addressing the point that it's too stressful always telling the group to not jerk around or switching if you want to see pets:
    This is a personal usecase, can be changed by grouping up with people that have the same play-style and each individual could decide if they want to see pets or not. If you just don't want to see pets in raids? You have to change it, or make a user profile to change it quicker.

    But now cosmetic pet fans dont have any way summoning their pets, not allowed to toggle anything just for sake of same other complaining/lazy/uninformed/... players having a minor QoL for themselves

    - for me especially fun screenshots are ruined and these are literally the main thing i strive for within games.
    Gwaihir [DE] - Specialized in Festivals, UI-Settings, Character-Management and Efficiency, scenic Screenshots, cinematic Videos, Showcase-Videos, Game-Guides, Opinions - Ultimate Grand-Master of Bullroarer's Challenge within Greenfield during Spring Festival - my favorite place in Lotro :) - Edit [Update 35.1]: It's still Lotro - just everyday a bit less.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13,146
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieTheEnchantress View Post
    Having thought about this for a while, I agree with the decision to remove cosmetic pets and grief emotes from dungeons.

    Having to constantly toggle pets on and off is a bother--off for dungeons and festivals, on the rest of the time. Now I only need to turn them off during festivals.

    Unfortunately, the grief emote filter never worked properly and remains broken. I don't want some jerk knocking down a bunch of people with an area effect emote in the middle of a fight because other players forgot to turn on the grief emote toggle for the dungeon, or worse, the grief emote toggle does not block the grief emote in the first place.

    On many occasions I used emotes and pets in dungeons in a fun and non-disruptive way. So did my friends. I get it. However, when I am leading a group, I want people following instructions and killing stuff, not messing around with grief emotes and pets. Pick up groups attract some real jerk burgers and I have been in groups where people used these things to mess with other people. Dealing with that leads to drama. I left one pretty good raid group because that sort of thing happened a lot.

    When I put this on the scales, it actually makes my life better. I am not happy about the reality of the situation, but I cannot control other people. This change controls other people for me. I can definitely see how a group of people, all of whom enjoy messing with one another, would seriously dislike this change.

    Also, I somewhat regularly interact with strangers on the landscape, usually to help someone with a quest or to find the steed I am riding. I admit, such encounters rarely lead to a protracted interaction or friendship. However, I can write the same thing about my experience running dungeons. I met most of my friends and acquaintances through a guild or role play.
    This is what group leaders are for. If someone is causing issues, kick them out. It won't take many bootings for a player to understand how to behave in a group setting.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Posts
    99
    Without any hyperbole, this change made me update and go back to WoW, I took it as a sign of things to come, and especially things not to come which frankly are very overdue.
    I don't know why but the Lotro devs seem to hate their playerbase and don't want any fun to be had in this game. At the very least they don't respect their players, instead of changing the defaults of a setting, they remove options entirely, and in so doing functionally delete years of collecting and progress. Toys and pets were always more robust in WoW, miles more "distracting", and yet the idea of disabling them here is is unthinkable, because that kind of fun and the collection of these types of things is an essential part of the very appeal of MMOs. I don't like the world or aesthetic of WoW, but at least the Devs have a minimum of respect for the players and the genre.

    Removing collecting from an MMO...what is there to say but see ya later?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    This is what group leaders are for.
    If I am the group leader and someone misbehaves, drama ensues which I do not want. In past experience, the drama sometimes became server.

    If I am joining a group and the leader accepts such behavior, I leave, which means no group for me.

    As I wrote previously, when I put it all on the scales, the change makes my life better. The change also has me reconsidering my aversion to pick-up groups in this game. If the bulk of players vote to reverse the change and that happens, so be it. They will get their grief emotes and pets back and I will return to avoiding such players. Whatever the ultimate outcome, I will adapt.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

  14. #14

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by SophieTheEnchantress View Post
    Having thought about this for a while, I agree with the decision to remove cosmetic pets and grief emotes from dungeons.

    Having to constantly toggle pets on and off is a bother--off for dungeons and festivals, on the rest of the time. Now I only need to turn them off during festivals.

    Unfortunately, the grief emote filter never worked properly and remains broken. I don't want some jerk knocking down a bunch of people with an area effect emote in the middle of a fight because other players forgot to turn on the grief emote toggle for the dungeon, or worse, the grief emote toggle does not block the grief emote in the first place.

    On many occasions I used emotes and pets in dungeons in a fun and non-disruptive way. So did my friends. I get it. However, when I am leading a group, I want people following instructions and killing stuff, not messing around with grief emotes and pets. Pick up groups attract some real jerk burgers and I have been in groups where people used these things to mess with other people. Dealing with that leads to drama. I left one pretty good raid group because that sort of thing happened a lot.

    When I put this on the scales, it actually makes my life better. I am not happy about the reality of the situation, but I cannot control other people. This change controls other people for me. I can definitely see how a group of people, all of whom enjoy messing with one another, would seriously dislike this change.

    Also, I somewhat regularly interact with strangers on the landscape, usually to help someone with a quest or to find the steed I am riding. I admit, such encounters rarely lead to a protracted interaction or friendship. However, I can write the same thing about my experience running dungeons. I met most of my friends and acquaintances through a guild or role play.
    The forced emotes don't work in combat since many years ago, so i don't get from where you get that. it was negatively impacting the instance runs.

    I don't Grief anyone & neither of my pet loving friends do! It is funny i have seeing something similar to what you describe but feelings of the other 11 persons where very different to what you attribute:
    We were all doing well, nice & smooth run, having fun all players happy on a raid. Then some random player joined mid run cause somebody have to unexpectedly leave. That random start shouting "dismiss your bear, it is bothering me is going to steal agro!..." But there is no LM on the group, only 1 beorning & players with cosmetics squirrels, rabbits & maybe 1 donkey! It was worst than when some person see a less than 1 inch spider & start shouting its lungs outs & climb over a table. I swear the tinny spider is even more scared & confused of the crazy display that the overreacting person. & guess what? Cosmetic pets have no skills, so no agro of any kind so i don't get where that excuse came from. So i take that the real problem isn't the cosmetic pets & the beorning swear that he didn't taunt anything & i'm inclined to beleive him. There isn't even a problem on the raid, exept that 1 random person of 12, want all pets gone out the blue & is very upset to see any none humanoid creature. So much drama about inoffensive critters & it was over when the person left the raid. So much relief.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Apr 15 2023 at 04:40 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    The forced emotes don't work in combat since many years ago, so i don't get from where you get that. it was negatively impacting the instance runs.

    I don't Grief anyone & neither of my pet loving friends do! It is funny i have seeing something similar to what you describe but feelings of the other 11 persons where very different to what you attribute:
    We were all doing well, nice & smooth run, having fun all players happy on a raid. Then some random player joined mid run cause somebody have to unexpectedly leave. That random start shouting "dismiss your bear, it is bothering me is going to steal agro!..." But there is no LM on the group, only 1 beorning & players with cosmetics squirrels, rabbits & maybe 1 donkey! It was worst than when some person see a less than 1 inch spider & start shouting its lungs outs & climb over a table. I swear the tinny spider is even more scared & confused of the crazy display that the overreacting person. & guess what? Cosmetic pets have no skills, so no agro of any kind so i don't get where that excuse came from. So i take that the real problem isn't the cosmetic pets & the beorning swear that he didn't taunt anything & i'm inclined to beleive him. There isn't even a problem on the raid, exept that 1 random person of 12, want all pets gone out the blue & is very upset to see any none humanoid creature. So much drama about inoffensive critters & it was over when the person left the raid. So much relief.
    As a LM main, I try to not use both my pet and a cosmetic pet unless they're small in nature. Although I love using my Wildpaw bear, I wouldn't use it in a raid and would instead use the much smaller Tundra Cub. Plus if someone have such an issue with beornings or LM pets, they shouldn't join in a raid period. Every class has their roles to play. I mean are they going to gripe about Captain pets too? It makes no sense!
    I'm in Gladden, and part of The Fate of Middle Earth! Main: Teleway- Loremaster

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    44
    Here is what I am seeing in game NO ONE is using CPets any longer, sure they might summon one when they login but once they go into an instance or raid, they don't resummon them back, it just does not happen and if CPets are causing lag... dudes fix the freaking servers. You have had new servers sitting at SSG for going on 2 years, by the time you get around to installing them if ever you might as well go buy new ones.
    Also the Devs did not turn off any other classes pets, how does removing 1 or 2 CPets from an instance or raid really make that much of a difference, why not get rid of all cloaks as well? To me it seems the Devs where just looking for something to say oh we did this to reduce lag, other than really doing something that makes a real difference. This is also why the CPet nerf was a ninja nerf, they knew players would not go for
    it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,334
    Every cloud has a silver lining. It's kind of relieving now that I no longer need or want to collect pets ingame, there's far fewer festival grind to get through. It's day 1 of the anniversary and I'm all done.

    Before I loved showing them off when doing stuff with others, but now there's no point since you're the only one that sees it, which is pretty much all the time outside of instances.
    "It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed,
    though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    266
    Its most likely another poor mans programmers attemt to reduce the lag in instances...

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload