We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Two handed tanking?

Just been thinking about this recent change to disarm from 35.0.1:

"Disarm Effect

For a long time we haven't been happy with the way disarm works (by temporarily treating your weapon as un-equipped), which has a lot more performance and statistical implications than is necessary, so we've taken this opportunity to change it to work identically to Silence - your weapon is no longer disabled, but disarm simply blocks the use of certain skills for the duration.
    We also removed several cases where a skill could be affected by both Silence & Disarm - any given skill should now only be vulnerable to one or the other (or neither)."

I believe one of the (several) arguments for going sword and board while tanking was that you'd not lose your ability to block if disarmed - this change appears to remove this as a reason not to go 2 handed.

Anyone confirm this?
    Any tanks thinking about a 2 hander to make better use of the At the Fore damage boost?
    Or are the extra shield stats still king?
    Just wondering as being a 2 handed tank in yellow always struck me as the intention but never became what was done in practice and whether this might change with this update?

Main benefit of sword & board is the massive amount of stats you get.

This used to be somewhat countered by 2H weapons getting some stats as compensation, but nowadays it's just some extra damage.

Bottom line, 2H tanking won't really work as stats from shields are getting quite massive.
    "Not all those who wander are lost....some are so stubborn that they always think they're going in the right direction."

"The 4th age is the store age" - Hetweith

Erionor is offline Captain of Gondor, showed quality
    I would say this would make a difference and make 2H tanking viable. Losing the shield shouldn’t make an enormous difference in low tier instances or first tier raid with a good team. If someone is dependant on those few extra stats to survive, they probably need to practice their tanking strategy a bit more. At higher tiers I would say don’t take the chance and stick with sword and board though.

Same principle for yellow guard.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by Erionor View Post
    I would say this would make a difference and make 2H tanking viable. Losing the shield shouldn’t make an enormous difference in low tier instances or first tier raid with a good team. If someone is dependant on those few extra stats to survive, they probably need to practice their tanking strategy a bit more. At higher tiers I would say don’t take the chance and stick with sword and board though.

Same principle for yellow guard.
    In that case it should also be ok to tank with the Damage/Healing Weapon.

Als much Healing depend on the the Captains owns Moral, i would pick a Sword and Shield to get the better Statsbonus of the Shield.