We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Light oil usage

Light oil usage

Hi,

How light oil is supposed to work for Warden?

As there are no guides for U35 warden, I decided to play a bit with the specs myself. Warden Recklessness tree allows to easily get +40% on light-type damage. And light oil is supposed to switch ranged damage type to the light type. But when I use Simple light oil nothing changes. The damage type as reported in combat window is still beleriand and no additional effect is shown on the effects panel. Am I doing/getting something wrong?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomly View Post
    Hi,

How light oil is supposed to work for Warden?

As there are no guides for U35 warden, I decided to play a bit with the specs myself. Warden Recklessness tree allows to easily get +40% on light-type damage. And light oil is supposed to switch ranged damage type to the light type. But when I use Simple light oil nothing changes. The damage type as reported in combat window is still beleriand and no additional effect is shown on the effects panel. Am I doing/getting something wrong?

Thanks,
    Light and fire oils affect javelin skills but as majority of them have been removed there isn't much use for oils. Your javelin gambits will always be beleriand as oils don't affect those.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r10 Captain - r6 Guardian - r9 Reaver - r9 Warg

The word "some" in the description does a lot of heavy lifting.

If I remember correctly, it affects your javelin skills, like hampering javelin and javelin of deadly force. The light oil does not affect any of the gambits. At least that's what I remember, maybe some of that has changed.

But in short, no you aren't doing anything wrong, the oils affect "some" of your skills, as the description says, which isn't very helpful. I'm pretty sure no gambits are affected. If you are playing around with it in game then you should be able to tell me what skills it's affecting. Bottom line is you can't turn your most damaging skills into light damage to benefit from the +x% light damage.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds reasonable. Indeed, I tried it on gambits as they are more powerful than regular skill.

So, it looks like there is no much sense in using oils for Warden :-(

I seem to recall that people (Hunters?) found that +Light/Fire damage bonuses don't apply to oils in the first place.

Light oil does apply a weak debuff that could theoretically help a tanking warden.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD2 View Post
    I seem to recall that people (Hunters?) found that +Light/Fire damage bonuses don't apply to oils in the first place.
    Correct. Recently regarding the fire/light damage words of craft traceries. It has to be damage source. So the likes of RK/LM etc who has fire/light damage source skills. Hunter's damage source is range/physical, whether using oils or not.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r10 Captain - r6 Guardian - r9 Reaver - r9 Warg

I think I once saw parsing that showed Hunters did less damage using a fire oil than not, UNLESS you were using fire oil while your LM was using TAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadh View Post
    I think I once saw parsing that showed Hunters did less damage using a fire oil than not, UNLESS you were using fire oil while your LM was using TAR.
    I imagine it would depend on the specific target and their base mitigations. Some types of enemies are inherently weak to fire.

But yes, oils change which mitigation the target uses against your affected attacks.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008