We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

[New Player] [Starting Experience] Add a warning about High Elf, Stout-axe, and Beorning racial intros.

I just finished watching a YouTube video where a player rather new to LOTRO created a High Elf character for the first time. The player was having a great experience, got to the very end where he collected his gear and was about to click through to finish the intro and go to Celondim – and that's where he decided to stop.

Argh! Now he has to play the entire intro over again from the beginning with that character! Not a happy YouTuber, no precious, not a happy YouTuber at all!

Please consider adding a warning to the High Elf, Stout-axe, and Beorning racial introductions letting players know that they must complete those introductions in one session; that any progress will not be saved unless the entire introduction is fully completed. While this is also an issue for the various tutorials, those are generally quite short and after a player has completed any tutorial once on a specific server, the player is given the "skip tutorial" option on that server for all subsequent Elf, Dwarf, Man, and Hobbit characters. (The Beorning racial intro is also quite short but the need to complete it in one session applies, and so the warning should be offered to new Beorning characters as well as new High Elf and Stout-axe characters.)

Oh, wait, so... these don't actually save? I actually have a high-elf parked at intro just to have access to Dagorlad and I never noticed something was reset, and I seemed to be logging in at the same spot where I quit too. Granted, I haven't really done any progress on quest, maybe just clicked through one dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    Oh, wait, so... these don't actually save? I actually have a high-elf parked at intro just to have access to Dagorlad and I never noticed something was reset, and I seemed to be logging in at the same spot where I quit too. Granted, I haven't really done any progress on quest, maybe just clicked through one dialogue
    They are considered instances (perhaps the High Elf intro is more like a session play) and do not save anything to the server's character file until and unless the character completes it and moves into the shared game world.

When I first started playing at the very end of July 2000 I created a High Elf character a week or three later and was nearly done with the intro – the point where Elrond is walking around the room with you explaining how long you've been in a coma – and had to step away from the computer for an IRL emergency in the house. Came back over an hour later and I had been logged out – perfectly reasonable – and when I logged in I had to start the character over from the beginning of the intro. Didn't bother me much, I enjoyed it the second time almost as much as the first. But this stings new players all the time. Ideally, of course, interim progress would be saved. Since there is probably some technical reason why that is either impossible or very difficult to do with the LOTRO game engine, a prominent warning at the beginning of these intros seems like a useful addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Since there is probably some technical reason why that is either impossible or very difficult to do with the LOTRO game engine, a prominent warning at the beginning of these intros seems like a useful addition.
    Yeah, definitely. And while they're at it, they could also provide a warning for players who choose Mossward starting experience in Before the Shadow that they won't get to experience their unique starting areas in their full glory and with their full storylines. That's another thing that perhaps not exactly stings but isn't quite right, and a newbie may not even be aware they're missing out. Unless they plan to actually make these unique starter experiences part of BtS and have the current option renamed to "BtS - no intros" starter option, which would make more sense anyway