We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    Yeah, true. I wasn't exactly sure when it's supposed to debut but you might be right. Hopefully they may still reconsider :P At the very least give us more options that we want in near future because the package they delivered was incredibly one-sided

Funny that the devs took it seriously for 15+ years. Or that MoL is very utterly serious when writing all these stories or making extra things like BtS Afterwords
    And we still have very strict rules on decorating houses.

2. Apr 15 2023, 10:25 AM

3. Apr 15 2023, 11:30 AM

Something to ponder: Maybe SSG's parent company(ies) requested that they do something to add to the diversity of the player creation options?
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    Something to ponder: Maybe SSG's parent company(ies) requested that they do something to add to the diversity of the player creation options?
    As usual, the conversation is getting derailed but nobody has a problem with any diversity. What people have problems with are not being able to choose from many unique origins of the lore, extremely one-sided options (you can't even recreate any of these Haradrim/Easterlings/Corsairs, you name it, based on mobs and NPCs in game - is not made much easier than before but what you can do is go to a modern barber for 20 types of dreds and outlandish hairstyles), plus people question whether facial hairs on women are needed here (why? in a world where dwarven woman are mistaken for men due to their beards?). So even if SSG was just told "become X!" they have every creative control over their art choices here and some of these choices that skewed heavily in one direction (rather than towards actual variety of options) disappointed a lot of people.

As usual, the conversation is getting derailed but nobody has a problem with any diversity. What people have problems with are not being able to choose from many unique origins of the lore, extremely one-sided options (you can't even recreate any of these Haradrim/Easterlings/Corsairs, you name it, based on mobs and NPCs in game - is not made much easier than before but what you can do is go to a modern barber for 20 types of dreds and outlandish hairstyles), plus people question whether facial hairs on women are needed here (why? in a world where dwarven woman are mistaken for men due to their beards?). So even if SSG was just told "become X!" they have every creative control over their art choices here and some of these choices that skewed heavily in one direction (rather than towards actual variety of options) disappointed a lot of people.
    During Cord of the Rings Cordovan clearly say what they don't introduce even more wide arrange of settings and don't go into extreme. So they have some limits and cosider stay with them. For a while... or this is first step to go out of limits? And if we eat that, they make another step and go even more far from JRRT works?

That’s cool if their bosses told them so. I get it. But beards on women? That’s totally way out there in La La Land.

What is this, a circus now? Now look at this! The bearded lady!

A bearded lady in game is nothing more than shock value.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    During Cord of the Rings Cordovan clearly say what they don't introduce even more wide arrange of settings and don't go into extreme. So they have some limits and cosider stay with them. For a while... or this is first step to go out of limits? And if we eat that, they make another step and go even more far from JRRT works?
    I did watch the stream earlier today but I must have missed that.. I think? Didn't sound to me like he said much about it other than other races will take much time to get done. But if he did, then I don't see any "limits" here, they did away with any limits and the only "limits" would be due to their artist - even if not entirely aware of this - over focusing on highly specific hairstyles. Dreds of many types, highly outlandish modern wigs, extremely curly hairs, and even more dreds. There was literally nothing "tamed" "more regular" (and less modern) in that package and nothing that would have something to do with any Western/Eastern/Southern NPCs to be found in the game world (many of which with such amazing cool hairstyles people had asked for years to be able to have on their characters). Also, not much offered for long straight hairs, in fact ZERO. I mean, it was so very apparent even when Cord was going through all these new hairstyles on the stream, one by one.

Remove my comments, checks out - cowards

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    That’s cool if their bosses told them so. I get it. But beards on women? That’s totally way out there in La La Land.

What is this, a circus now? Now look at this! The bearded lady!

A bearded lady in game is nothing more than shock value.
    I am probably never going to put a beard on a female character because it is not something I would do, but is it really that much more shocking than the dwarfs who have run around in prom dresses since the game started? Is it that much more shocking than those who run around as close to naked as the game allows? Is it that much more shocking than some of the kin names and character names we see or the pet names that people use? Is it that much more shocking than those who run around with the puke emote and use it whenever possible? All things shocking have been around since the game started and people will find new and creative ways to shock others. The beards on female characters will be a thing for a bit and then when the initial shock wears off, they will become less interesting to those who wish to shock others in the game. Hopefully, everyone will enjoy the changes and the opportunity to customize their characters and not criticize others or judge them because their avatar does not appeal to their tastes. Who knows, maybe it will even make people smile and laugh a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    I think a lot of people have a failure of imagination when it comes to thinking about things outside their normal windows of observation and experience.

If I can find a reasonable justification for the existence of dinosaurs in some lost garden from the years the Valar were experimenting with creation(all of morgoth's creatures are corrupted beings, where then, did dragons come from? ), a race of elves living in the far Harad is much more plausible
    Uh huh! Folks also seem to forget that, as far as plausibility of origins / heritages go, we've already had Stout-Axes escaping from the Dark Tower itself. So, already, my Haradrim running into the lost son of a certain High Elven prince who made the Silmarils by chance on the shores of the sea - then learning all about Eru and the Valar and that Sauron is a liar - and then opting to go on an adventure and ending up in Mossward after long leagues in the wilderness and passing for a southern Gondorian- suddenly makes more sense than the given starter-instance for Stout-Axes where Sauron's massive hordes somehow let that one lone Dwarf "waltz through the Black Gate" without a problem!!! Or Voin magically walking out of Minas Morgul without any difficulty in the Black Book for that matter, hehe!

Anyways, I also think folks tend to underestimate how much of their own interpretations goes into their understanding of the lore. There are many lores - and many Tolkien canons depending on which "Tolkien" at which point in his life you're reading as well as what you've read and what you haven't. Tolkien contradicted himself numerous times in many texts - and so, if I emphasize his treatment of High Elf ghosts in "The Laws and Customs of the Eldar," I suddenly find the initial basis for "Shadow of Mordor" and "Shadow of War" and those devs' interpretations (*I find other issues with those games- but that would derail the thread, so leaving it there). If I emphasize any part of the legendarium more than other parts, I'll get a completely different reading of the same story. The reader's imagination plays a huge role in all of this; it's not only about what Tolkien wrote but where the reader takes it from there!

If folks really want something wild, try the original version of "The Fall of Gondolin" that had World War 1 Era tanks thinly disguised as Morgoth's war machines - or "Beren and Luthien" where Sauron did not exist, and they fought Tevildo, a large evil cat- or when Gollum was a kindly creature who gave Bilbo a "not-One-Ring," fanciful magic ring as a birthday present for beating him fairly in a game of riddles, or when Frodo and company did not meet the long lost heir of Isildur but met Trotter, a traumatized Hobbit with wooden shoes that trot clickety-clack - and who had survived captivity at the hands of the Black Riders - or when the Black Riders were just normal Men hired out like the Burgsmen in William Morris's "The Well at the World's End," and when, instead of the House of Tom Bombadil, the Hobbits were on their way to a Witch-house!!!

No single reading of the same books will be identical to any other reading - because each person's mind is different than any other person's mind! Every lens will have its own unique point of reference. So, there we go There was never really a "final-final" decision in Tolkien's endless writing process; it was simply that his body couldn't keep up with his brilliant mind when he passed away, and so, the gas tank ran out of fuel; the record trailed off like the ending of the Book of Mazarbul.

If anything's the perfect metaphor for Tolkien canon, it's the Book of Mazarbul- the last account of Balin's company. It's filled with gaps and fragments. It tells a tale with various snippets; there are things that don't make sense or aren't explored further. And then it ends with: "They are coming . . ." The writer just ran out of time to write more.

So, how does this connect back to the OP? Well, it's quite simple. LOTRO is about to reach the parts of Middle-earth that Tolkien seldom wrote about - and that what we do know was edited by a biased Gondorian scholar living over 172 years after the events of the LOTR, Findegil. The burden of invention comes on the devs. It would make total sense to add Harad, Rhun, Khand, etc., as heritage options (*Dunland also- that's easy with someone fleeing the war into Swanfleet), and it would make sense to give players some fun storytelling opportunities as we enter these new regions. I do not envy the devs - because they will have to rely on their own imaginations and writing more and more as the tales head eastward and southward. What a job!!! It will, by definition, not please everyone - so, increasing the game's clientele with more options, making the game more competitive with other MMOs like SWTOR and GW2, etc. - all of that makes perfect sense to me!!!

I think I'd encourage them to consider having a wider palette of new hair styles. I'm also a little surprised they aren't adding some of the Beorning hair styles to Men either, since Beornings are a kind of Men. Some of the Elven hair styles would work well on humans regardless of gender. It would be nice, for example, to have some Dol Amroth aristocrats have some of the more noble hair styles of High Elves, for example.

---

Back even further to your OP: Has anyone noticed odd . . . "cutting" - like pixelated lines showing up on their avatar's faces after a race-change-token, especially around the mouth area? I have. I've also noticed lips moving up and down on the face depending on your third-person camera angle. The avatar facial issues - with the cutting / odd graphical breaks in the face-sculpt - that's a problem I've noticed on High Elves, Elves, Men, and pretty much anyone who has a visible mouth and chin. It might only be a race-change-token issue. I'd encourage the devs to study the face sculpts in the game-world and look very closely at them from a third person angle, moving the camera around as zoomed-in as possible, etc. These are things that you just can't see first person or that are very hard to see in the character creation panel or barbershop window.

I'd also like fuller reds, silvers, blonds, etc., in some of the hair color options. It would've been nice to have . . . more hairstyles across the board - like some longer straight hair, for example, in addition to the current new styles; some of the High Elf hair styles, male and female, could work well with humans of any gender I like that they've made some of the straighter hair more reflective, more shiny - its a nice look

Cheers!
    Last edited by Phantion; Apr 15 2023 at 02:03 PM.
    Landroval player; I am Phantion on the forums only and do not have a corresponding character in-game with that name on any server. Cheers! :)

something that needs to be accepted whether you like it or not is that women with beards have existed for as long as humanity has. have none of you heard of the condition PCOS?

theres a simple solution if you do not like some of the new customization options: DONT USE THEM! ignore them and game on per usual, its that simple! a majority of other players are happy enough to finally be getting representation after 16 years of the games life. previously, we were limited to a few options that generally all resulted in the same looking character, making it seem like there was a clone army in middle earth. these new options allow for the creation of a diverse range of humans, as well as a sense of uniqueness and individuality the game did not have before.

from ZERO (0) afro-textured hairs to a multitude of BEAUTIFUL options to choose from (that only will get better on release), i can say LOTRO is moving in the right direction in terms of inclusivity. as someone with curly hair, i was surprised as well as delighted to see new curly hair options! never in a game have i seen curls so nicely done. usually, they look very blocky or lazily drawn on but the curl definition of these hairstyles are INCREDIBLY realistic! so for that i say thank you. surely there are some bugs (scalp clearly visible for some of the curly hairstyles, mostly the buns), but altogether they look great. very excited to see how this turns out. GREAT JOB AND THANK YOU SSG! im hoping elves and high elves get some attention next (long hairstyles please!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by ninos2137 View Post
    something that needs to be accepted whether you like it or not is that women with beards have existed for as long as humanity has. have none of you heard of the condition PCOS?

theres a simple solution if you do not like some of the new customization options: DONT USE THEM! ignore them and game on per usual, its that simple! a majority of other players are happy enough to finally be getting representation after 16 years of the games life. previously, we were limited to a few options that generally all resulted in the same looking character, making it seem like there was a clone army in middle earth. these new options allow for the creation of a diverse range of humans, as well as a sense of uniqueness and individuality the game did not have before.

from ZERO (0) afro-textured hairs to a multitude of BEAUTIFUL options to choose from (that only will get better on release), i can say LOTRO is moving in the right direction in terms of inclusivity. as someone with curly hair, i was surprised as well as delighted to see new curly hair options! never in a game have i seen curls so nicely done. usually, they look very blocky or lazily drawn on but the curl definition of these hairstyles are INCREDIBLY realistic! so for that i say thank you. surely there are some bugs (scalp clearly visible for some of the curly hairstyles, mostly the buns), but altogether they look great. very excited to see how this turns out. GREAT JOB AND THANK YOU SSG! im hoping elves and high elves get some attention next (long hairstyles please!!!)
    Great solution, yes. Why devs never answer to this problems? Maybe because they don't like our opinion and ignore us? Simple question: why this questional feature was created right here right now?

Same people who keep saying "well, bearded womans not my cup of tea, I don't create them" keep addining excuse after excuse after excuse to have them in first place. Why devs don't allow players create pets/LI/characters with specific names? To avoid conflicts. Why devs don't allow chracters have weddings in-game even when we have wedding events? To avoid conflicts. Why devs don't allow creeps enter locations outside of The Moors and encounter freep players with open pvp situation? To avoid conficts. When why they create feature right now and create so much conflicts in recent days? It's not about us wanting ignore or don't see something lore breaking in game, it's about devs adding something what don't have enough reasons to be here in first place. We have huge amount of new settings for characters, great job! Just avoid some settings what can make people angry/confuse them/want them to leave this game. Race of man character creation can work without that function very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ninos2137 View Post

from ZERO (0) afro-textured hairs to a multitude of BEAUTIFUL options to choose from (that only will get better on release), i can say LOTRO is moving in the right direction in terms of inclusivity. as someone with curly hair, i was surprised as well as delighted to see new curly hair options! never in a game have i seen curls so nicely done. usually, they look very blocky or lazily drawn on but the curl definition of these hairstyles are INCREDIBLY realistic! so for that i say thank you. surely there are some bugs (scalp clearly visible for some of the curly hairstyles, mostly the buns), but altogether they look great. very excited to see how this turns out. GREAT JOB AND THANK YOU SSG! i'm hoping elves and high elves get some attention next (long hairstyles please!!!)
    I have to agree with you on all that. I'm a woman & have to shave regularly, no, i will not give a beard to my elf maiden, maybe a peach fuzz to some my female toons but not the robust hair variety, but i will not mind that the option is somewhere represented for those who want it. Like you said is t is as easy, as i you don't like that particular choice on your toon then don't wear it. & i have always being annoyed that none of the current hairstyles looks like my kind of curly I'm being waiting forever to see a more realistic representation on character creation. I am very exited to see the new faces that players come on their toons after this release.

Cordovan said that the new sliders will also be applied on a later update to all other races. I think that will not necesary be all the alternatives that currently are on humans but those that apply to the particular Tolkiens race. Example: All elfs & hobbitses will have some sort of pointy ears, but the 2nd on a much shorter size range.

I did watch the stream earlier today but I must have missed that.. I think? Didn't sound to me like he said much about it other than other races will take much time to get done. But if he did, then I don't see any "limits" here, they did away with any limits and the only "limits" would be due to their artist - even if not entirely aware of this - over focusing on highly specific hairstyles. Dreds of many types, highly outlandish modern wigs, extremely curly hairs, and even more dreds. There was literally nothing "tamed" "more regular" (and less modern) in that package and nothing that would have something to do with any Western/Eastern/Southern NPCs to be found in the game world (many of which with such amazing cool hairstyles people had asked for years to be able to have on their characters). Also, not much offered for long straight hairs, in fact ZERO. I mean, it was so very apparent even when Cord was going through all these new hairstyles on the stream, one by one.
    There is nothing modern on dread locks or any braid kind. They have being registered to exist since Ancient Times on many cultures, specially those near the Mediterranean Sea. & since in game we will be soon starting to release the areas of Harad lands, it only make sense that those arrive in game for our characters creation.

Exclamation

Or perhaps they're following the general trend of things...
    I think I just realized where some of the braid/dread options came from lmao
    Oh! i so want that kind of curly for my elf maiden that Arwen have on that card!

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    There is nothing modern on dread locks or any braid kind. They have being registered to exist since Ancient Times on many cultures, specially those near the Mediterranean Sea. & since in game we will be soon starting to release the areas of Harad lands, it only make sense that those arrive in game for our characters creation.
    And you forget to add "when we can choice origins from Harad for our characters". Some hairstyles have sense when people from Harad/Rhun/Nurn have them, but how they make sense for people from Gondor/Rohan/Anor? Yes, we can imagine what man from Gondor fell with love with woman from Harad after war, but... that will be exception only proves the rules. Are you sure what people from Gondor accepts Aragorn from this picture above as their king? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Yes but modern as in some of these hairstyles would require modern barbers (sure, it's just a game, just an avatar, but still) and we already had plenty of unique Corsair models, Haradrim models and Easterling models, and I feel like none of the styles we got were actually inspired by those cultures as they're already represented in the game... so it only highlights my point. (A shame, I would love more of that approach to connect my avatar more to the already established world). Also, this was a GENERAL man avatar update, long in the waiting, not a "Far Harad" update, not a "insert a highly specific tribe of the Far East" update - so over focus in specific areas at the expense of others seems far from ideal.

It's better for the game than nothing, sure. Oh, but now it reminds me there is a pattern here with SSG - why do they always need to do that in things that could otherwise appeal to and fully satisfy more people? Overzealous over focus, asset saturation, clutter etc... and of course SSG's resources are limited so it's not like this is just some first batch with specific focus. No, this is all we're getting for men for years to come. And for some reason they just chosen to oversaturate the package with short wigs and dread locks but paid little heed to other options that were lacking or seemed lackluster. (Hopefully the reason here isn't because they felt overly inspired by the current upcoming expansion they're working on... because the Corsairs we knew were inspired by Barbary pirates and sported more "Arabian" look with beards, so I really really won't like it if they turn them all into a "Jack Sparrow" bunch with dread locks and wigs)

19. Apr 15 2023, 05:03 PM

This is a role-playing game. Now players will have more options to inspire new stories or finally have options that they have wanted to represent their characters more in a manner which they originally imagined.

Also, we're going to Umbar, we should be prepared for darker-skinned models with woven and braided hair.

I think the only ball that was dropped here was not increasing the heritage options to include the southern and eastern territories. This forced them to have to allow all of the new options for any heritage.

Women with facial hair is rare, but not unheard of. And by the books, something like a hobbit adventurer/hero is also rare. We've suspended disbelief to overlook this fact and chalked it up to it just being a video game. We can suspend disbelief for bearded ladies too.

I hope as part of the upcoming character creation revamp for the other races they give dwarves a definite masculine or feminine model with the feminine model being able to have a beard of course.
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

One thing is for sure, SSG is going to go through with everything they started, no matter how the players feel, and that includes the bearded circus lady.

If they back track on the beard and take that out, I honestly don't think there be that much of an uproar with the hairstyles and skin color.

But that is just weird, why did they decide to include that? I cannot recall anyone anywhere asking for beards on women. The skin colors and new hairstyles yeah, people have been asking for those for a long time. But beards on women? I don't remember one post or thread.
    Last edited by DavidmeetHal; Apr 17 2023 at 03:33 AM.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

They probably want to open up all hairstyles to both genders (which would be fantastic), and it's probably a lot simpler to toggle things off/on globally than mix and match AND they probably figured most people DGAF. If it's a feature that makes a player quit they were already on the fence and there were a hundred other straws before that, and they're likely to get generally good press about it, which may attract new players, most of which also DGAF.

In general, these changes/additions are almost certainly to entice new players and get them to stick around. And frankly, if this game doesn't attract or keep new players, it will cease to exist.

They probably want to open up all hairstyles to both genders (which would be fantastic), and it's probably a lot simpler to toggle things off/on globally than mix and match AND they probably figured most people DGAF. If it's a feature that makes a player quit they were already on the fence and there were a hundred other straws before that, and they're likely to get generally good press about it, which may attract new players, most of which also DGAF.

In general, these changes/additions are almost certainly to entice new players and get them to stick around. And frankly, if this game doesn't attract or keep new players, it will cease to exist.
    And that's cool with me, and I have no issue with that. I totally get it. It's just that I've run a business before and one thing I learned is don't irritate your customer base. I think that the new hair styles and skin colors will not make a fuss. On the contrary, I think it's a good balance between lore and modern times. But the beard is just strange. They had to have known that was going to raise some "What the F%%%" questions.

and they're likely to get generally good press about it, which may attract new players, most of which also DGAF.
    Good idea to attract players who DGAF though... they're as likely to jump the boat as soon as they're attracted by yet another headline about another game doing something similar yet superficial, because guess what, they DGAF (and that would include all these story/subtle things that make us stick with lotro despite its shortcomings)

Yeah, sure. What is likely to entice new players and make them stick around no less are actual real NOTICABLE improvements (key word noticeable), from the UI to graphic updates (and fix bugs that aren't fixed for months/years). I won't even mention lag or something like pad/console support. (Even just pad support alone - I'm sure you would be able to attract more potential players attracted by Middle-earth if they weren't outright forced into that cumbersome classic mmo point and click, and given the game's low difficulty, even if some things were lacking, like perfect control over all your skill sets or inability to use chat without a keyboard, this would still be an attractive way to engage with world and quests).

Also, we're going to Umbar, we should be prepared for darker-skinned models with woven and braided hair.
    Why are people saying this though? Granted, it's a hub and slaver's hub at that. Seeing many different ethnicities from the coastline with various styles/cultures may be viable, yes, plus maybe some Haradrim can pop up too, but remember Haradrim aren't necessarily all very dark skinned, unless they're from Far Harad - and what we saw of them so far was more Arabian/Turkish too, for ethnicity, rather than anything on the darker skin spectrum. And the Corsairs themselves, while distinct, seemed closely related to Nearer Haradrim ethnically (which makes sense, since it's one of the "Harad" kingdoms in same geographical area). So for "Umbarian" in general - black men with dreads and braids are definitely NOT what I imagine nor what this game has ever established in any of the Umbar/Harad storylines. And that would mirror history too, since Barbary pirates/Ottoman Empire aka Corsairs/unified Harad state

PS: SSG introduced black skinned Gondorians in that content back then, so logically, if they had any intentions for Corsairs to be some very varied ethnical mashup like the pirate lords from pirates of the caribbean movie, then they would have done it and included very dark skinned corsairs in those models. They didn't and they went with very specific looks for ethnicity/historical connotations. So I won't take kindly to any jarring retcons now.
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; Apr 16 2023 at 05:09 AM.

I'm not sure why nobody has said it really, but these new hairstyles and options look really, and I mean REALLY bad!
    Quality control is just out the window or something at SSG? It's not even about race or skin tone, it's just the overall look and feel of the new options which are awful. The bigger hairstyles clip into your cosmetics so badly it's honestly shocking.

Also... I've compared my main characters from live to bullroarer, and they all look like they've never seen the sun in their lives now and have huge eye bags. Your original characters will change in appearance with this update whether you like it or not. I am really disappointed by this unnecessary change, I still can't even tell you why or who this changes target audience even is?

Not okay. Not needed. Looks bad.

Why are people saying this though?
    Because we're going south? There logically should be more darker-skinned inhabitants.

Because we're going south? There logically should be more darker-skinned inhabitants.
    Inhabitants and characters are different though. None of our characters come from these regions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast