We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Very interesting facial slider bugs

I hopped on to Bullroarer to give the new character creation options a try. It's definitely a nice touch to finally have more fine tuning options for eyes, nose, mouth etc.

However, it seems to have all borked once I created the character, as the following pictures should illustrate:

I thought perhaps it might be because of the Brawler helm. Nope, that doesn't seem to be the issue:

Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

If you are still seeing this with "Avatar Update Visible" selected let us know. The Avatar Update Visible check box does not function under the new avatar system for humans.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    If you are still seeing this with "Avatar Update Visible" selected let us know. The Avatar Update Visible check box does not function under the new avatar system for humans.
    My bad, I hadn't noticed that specifically. Well, I'm pleased to say that it seems to be working with that box ticked!

This has got me thinking, how will this affect our characters in the live server? For those of us who prefer the old avatars, will we be able to tinker with our existing characters? And if so, by sticking to the old graphics, will that mean we will no longer be able to use that?
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

4. Apr 14 2023, 02:17 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    My bad, I hadn't noticed that specifically. Well, I'm pleased to say that it seems to be working with that box ticked!

This has got me thinking, how will this affect our characters in the live server? For those of us who prefer the old avatars, will we be able to tinker with our existing characters? And if so, by sticking to the old graphics, will that mean we will no longer be able to use that?
    The "Avatar Update Visible" check box will be removed for the Race of Men with our next update. The check box will remain available for other races, however. In general, players will see some improved textures but their existing looks will be preserved, unless you are using the old-old avatar look for the Race of Men.
    coolcool

The "Avatar Update Visible" check box will be removed for the Race of Men with our next update. The check box will remain available for other races, however. In general, players will see some improved textures but their existing looks will be preserved, unless you are using the old-old avatar look for the Race of Men.
    I may have missed this in the thread, but will this level of sliders become available for the other races in the future? Having this level of customization would be great!

I hopped on to Bullroarer to give the new character creation options a try. It's definitely a nice touch to finally have more fine tuning options for eyes, nose, mouth etc.

However, it seems to have all borked once I created the character, as the following pictures should illustrate:..
    About the 2 mouths glitch, that is a really hilarious & obviously unintended bug. I'm glad that it was spoted in time at test server, Most of use will simply laugh at that silliness, but I can imagine the outrage of some people if it comes to life. I trust that the devs will have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    I may have missed this in the thread, but will this level of sliders become available for the other races in the future? Having this level of customization would be great!
    I hope that those new sliders will be available to all other races too. I will like to give my elfs some total makeover.

A bit more wider but smaller leaf shaped ears, not like humans but not as pointy as it is now is something that always bothered me that i couldn't do.Also i tanned my elfs as much the game allow me but my main isn't a stay at home crafter but an adventurer. That said she have given as well as received many hits. Some scars of various origins, shape & nature will be well fitted. Her eyebrows looks pretty but they are not exactly what i wanted. I found a hairstyle that work for her choices of headgear but i'm open to try new hair styles & certainly curly, not lace. & lets not talk about being forced a whole face shape instead about having all parts choosen individually. This update will enable to customize each thing appart as should have always being. I'm very happy that this long requested feature is finally coming to life servers on a near future update!

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    We are hoping to bring out these and further options to other races in the future. At this time there is no timetable set for that work to be completed, but it will probably be a while.
    coolcool

Well good job I have a Helm of Rallying (full face) if you are to prevent me from sticking to the old visuals.

The thing about that "old visuals" check box is that it effects every toon you see in the game. Does this change mean that whenever I play the "man" race I have to view everyone as their super model version? Just where is the finger and the prompt to rapidly circle?

Zero attachment to characters eh m8?

I am. I realise I'm in the minority here, but I happen to really like the old style. Is there any way we can keep the old look for our characters?

This does not bode well for me because I very much hate the original avatar update and have it turned off since it ruins my characters' hair texture, hair colour, makeup, lip shapes, head shapes, basically everything. If these new sliders return the original options, or provide even better ones, then that's great, but I don't hold out hope.
    R.I.P. Elendilmir [30 Mar 2007-2015]
    R.I.P. Ithil [23 Mar 2019-23 May 2021]
    R.I.P. Anor [23 May 2021-10 Aug 2022]
    R.I.P. my handsome Man Hunter [7 Apr 2008-19 Apr 2023]

I am. I realise I'm in the minority here, but I happen to really like the old style. Is there any way we can keep the old look for our characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    This does not bode well for me because I very much hate the original avatar update and have it turned off since it ruins my characters' hair texture, hair colour, makeup, lip shapes, head shapes, basically everything. If these new sliders return the original options, or provide even better ones, then that's great, but I don't hold out hope.
    Those new sliders have more alternative details, shapes, sizes & colours than any the prior character updates. Also they do include the old & oldest models too, with improved textures, so nothing have being taken away. You will be able to choose a classic appearance if you don't like any the new ones.

Some tips for the people that prefer classic looks:

• Take a high definition screenshot of your character close up & full body, from front & side before the update release.
    • Use it as reference to adjust your toon on the barber after the new sliders get released, if you notice some undesired change.
    • They are many new sliders so each part of the face build will be more complex to achieve, & will take more time, the numbers of the old sliders will not apply anymore.
    • I do recomend you to test them on a new character (so you don't have to mez with your old one) before pass any judgement. I'm the kind that think: I don't call something bad without try it 1st.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Apr 16 2023 at 06:11 PM.

What does this actually MEAN?

"unless you are using the old-old avatar look for the Race of Men."

What is the "old-old" avatar look? I hated the "update" done to the race of men and stuck with my original appearance (yes I know there were tweaks and what not, but I mean how the characters looked BEFORE there was an "update". So are you saying we will NOT be able to keep our original appearance? If so, I fiercely object. I have had my characters set for 16 years and I LIKE them that way.

I played with the new update and sliders, but, I could NOT achieve anything very close to my originals, and my main has always looked a great deal as I, personally, did when I was young. If you force us to get rid of them, you are damaging my characters.
    Linden Starfall, Leader of Mithril Crowns of Elendilmir and Arkenstone

Yes, the original models will be unavailable; the option to retain them will be removed. I can understand that being upsetting for sure.

When they offered the updated models I was worried but I found that the new models all looked better to me.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Do the new options let me keep the look on the left, or at least get really close (especially the hair texture & colour, but I prefer the entire look to the ugliness on the right)? The image on the right looks like a graphics downgrade, to me; it's just plain ugly and I really hope the new sliders look better.

R.I.P. Elendilmir [30 Mar 2007-2015]
    R.I.P. Ithil [23 Mar 2019-23 May 2021]
    R.I.P. Anor [23 May 2021-10 Aug 2022]
    R.I.P. my handsome Man Hunter [7 Apr 2008-19 Apr 2023]

Do the new options let me keep the look on the left, or at least get really close (especially the hair texture & colour, but I prefer the entire look to the ugliness on the right)? The image on the right looks like a graphics downgrade, to me; it's just plain ugly and I really hope the new sliders look better.

So, way back when, I'm not sure if you've noticed (*check at a barber), they added the original face sculpts to new facial options even WITH the avatar revamp checked.

So, look for options "11-20" or whatever for faces to mirror the original game's "1-10," sort to speak. You'll find your original face.

It's the original hairstyle that's going bye-bye since that was only tied to the revamp. So, if I had original Face 1 and Hair 16, I could use post-revamp Face 11 and revamped Hair 16 to get the closest to my original look (*the hair from your screenie on the right matched with the face sculpt of your screenie on the left).

I have a recommendation for the devs: can you please just add the original hair styles as barber options as well? That way, folks can have the full range while removing the "check avatar revamp" option. They're already coded in the game: why not just add them?

Cheers!
    Landroval player; I am Phantion on the forums only and do not have a corresponding character in-game with that name on any server. Cheers! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    I have a recommendation for the devs: can you please just add the original hair styles as barber options as well? That way, folks can have the full range while removing the "check avatar revamp" option. They're already coded in the game: why not just add them?

Cheers!
    Most likely because, while they aren't as wildly different graphically, this is still some visible difference in graphical consistency that may appear a little off when running around such players. (Though now that you mention it, it's a bit ironic this is where they put such care to uphold visual consistency but not exactly those origin boxes, mirroring looks of game NPCs some more, or they made no promises about the rocks in old gondor so we gotta endure sitting on that time bomb with no certainty like, that really makes me worried, but who would really care if there were a few slightly dated hairstyles as options? true)

Unhappy

The one on the left definitely looks better than the one on the right. The contrast is one of the reasons I never opted for the avatar changes. I hate being forced to give up the faces that I've loved for 16 years! SSG doesn't care though.
    Linden Starfall, Leader of Mithril Crowns of Elendilmir and Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by greendarner View Post
    The one on the left definitely looks better than the one on the right. The contrast is one of the reasons I never opted for the avatar changes. I hate being forced to give up the faces that I've loved for 16 years! SSG doesn't care though.
    I think there is also something that is both distinct and charming about the original styles, and whilst I appreciate there are those who consider them dated, I for one consider them to be a recognisable aspect of LOTRO: The characters fit the world that they're in.

Do none of you appreciate that the check box determines how your game client renders every player character you come across in the game. How ignorant are you all if you come up with such a ridiculous statement? So much so you can't figure out why it is so ridiculous?

Your colleagues couldn't make the game render our choice of visuals when first entering the character screen; hubris to think we would all favour this "photoshop" nonsense back then and display the appalling visuals on the cosmetics screen without checking our choices at all and now robbing us of the choice for ever more. You don't just spoil our view of our character but enforce a different view of every char we view in game.

No wonder you can so easily cast a character aside and ditch it to stumble along with yet another disaster in the making. ZERO ENGAGEMENT!

21. Apr 19 2023, 03:39 AM

22. Apr 19 2023, 08:20 AM