We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new riding animation

The new animation for riding is awful! I doubt if the person that designed it has ever ridden a horse, or perhaps that person was kicked in the head? Awful! I enjoy having my character ride around Middle Earth, enjoying the scenery and sounds, but this animation will spoil that for me.

I see that not all races have had their animations botched, but race of man has. Ugh!
    Last edited by Paragnosis; Apr 20 2023 at 09:59 PM.

This is how they ride horses in Boston.

I hope that it is a bug and not some kind of cowboy style riding animation...

I noticed yesterday that my male beorning has the bugged animation, too. The female one looked allright. Sigh.
    "...In the information society, nobody thinks. We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought."
    Ian Malcolm

Mine looks kinda like a jocky riding a horse ( sitting up, slapping the horse ). Don't care one way or the other.
    VIP Lifetime
    Since 2007
    Server: Gladden
    Solo Player

I really don't understand why they're trying to fix what isn't broken, using time and resources on this. And are they really testing it with all the mounts available? Riding my new spring festival goat I look drunk with the new animation, looking down on the ground, and the mane of the goat is blocking my view. On a horse it looks slightly better, but why not make this animation optional? Or apply it when using mount speed boosts or something like that. As it is now the character looks drunk, hungover. It looks too hasty, like the horse is in a constant gallop. It's a no from me in the current state.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

I wrote about this in another thread so I won't repeat it all here. Last night I remembered the first thing you get told when you get on a horse: "Head up, heels down".

My human males do neither of these now. Maybe someone on the team thought this would look cool, but in reality a rider like this would get thrown off their horse pretty quickly, by not looking at what is ahead of them and having their horse stop abruptly to avoid crashing into whatever obstacle their clueless rider was heading them towards. It's the rider equivalent of someone walking into a busy intersection while staring down at their phone. Not likely to end well.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

I'm watching Cord now, and... the riding animation for males on normal horses, that was just a bug? Really? (If I understand correctly?) For serious, I wanna see a stream where you guys talk about how this bug came to be, because it didn't look in any way "unpolished" to be recognizable as bug - looks quite polished but is just not appealing/not very convincing. How come a normal straight pose with two arms in front turned into a cowboy bad boy ride with head lowered and one hand in the air (but fluent, polished movements of said hand) during a gallop I mean, even the switches between that "new" bugged animation and static/backward horse movement animation were fluent! That's some impressive bug Really thought this was a new animation

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    I really don't understand why they're trying to fix what isn't broken, using time and resources on this.
    This seems to be SSG's standard company policy and is one of the reasons I don't put any real-world money into this game atm, knowing they are likely not to spend it on something actually useful.

As for the men riding animations:

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    As it is now the character looks drunk, hungover. It looks too hasty, like the horse is in a constant gallop. It's a no from me in the current state.
    Perfectly put. Aweful, obviously buggy and probably untested. De facto impossible to enjoy playing as man right now.

It really makes me angry seeing yet another unlooked-for fix-for-what-isn't-broken-change by SSG. Please revert all of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigolas View Post
    This seems to be SSG's standard company policy
    If they break all the things that weren't broken then they'll finally have achieved a consistent level of quality

It looks like a glitched version of the hobby horse riding animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamebeard View Post
    It looks like a glitched version of the hobby horse riding animation.
    Yes! As I said in another thread, it looks like a kid playing horsey with a stick.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    I'm watching Cord now, and... the riding animation for males on normal horses, that was just a bug? Really? (If I understand correctly?) For serious, I wanna see a stream where you guys talk about how this bug came to be, because it didn't look in any way "unpolished" to be recognizable as bug - looks quite polished but is just not appealing/not very convincing. How come a normal straight pose with two arms in front turned into a cowboy bad boy ride with head lowered and one hand in the air (but fluent, polished movements of said hand) during a gallop I mean, even the switches between that "new" bugged animation and static/backward horse movement animation were fluent! That's some impressive bug Really thought this was a new animation
    Did Cord actually say this? That the new riding animation for Men is intended and the original one the game has used is actually a 16 year old bug? I can't tell if I'm reading this right. My Woman characters are NOT riding like this currently, so I don't know what this new riding looks like, but I really don't want them to be changed. Is SSG really intending to change all human characters to this new riding animation? I hope I'm misunderstanding this, because from the description, it sounds pretty darn buggy and unintended to me.

This reminds me of what happened to the High Elves, who were converted to the human riding animation because someone thought their unique way of riding was a bug. So...they were converted to ANOTHER buggy animation because that one was better? Glad that one was changed back at least.

Can someone post a video of what this new riding looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    Did Cord actually say this? That the new riding animation for Men is intended and the original one the game has used is actually a 16 year old bug? I can't tell if I'm reading this right. My Woman characters are NOT riding like this currently, so I don't know what this new riding looks like, but I really don't want them to be changed. Is SSG really intending to change all human characters to this new riding animation? I hope I'm misunderstanding this, because from the description, it sounds pretty darn buggy and unintended to me.

This reminds me of what happened to the High Elves, who were converted to the human riding animation because someone thought their unique way of riding was a bug. So...they were converted to ANOTHER buggy animation because that one was better? Glad that one was changed back at least.

Can someone post a video of what this new riding looks like?
    I meant the new one for males, not old. Cord said the new one is just a bug and they'll be fixing it. But it surprised me, because while it looks somewhat bad/doesn't feel appealing... it doesn't feel "buggy" to me. More like something that could have been an intended new animation but just done in a half-assed way. (But then again, there is also this new dance that's a bug, so their bugs sure are... good looking? lol)

I recorded it before, just in case, so here you go, the video of my cap: https://mega.nz/file/4A4QxKwZ#VNfSuG...GrwOY9q8nN2DKQ

(The hand in the air looks a bit too suspiciously like in some other games, for example here in AC origins, so I only half-believe them it was "just a bug" )
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; Apr 22 2023 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    I meant the new one for males, not old. Cord said the new one is just a bug and they'll be fixing it. But it surprised me, because while it looks somewhat bad/doesn't feel appealing... it doesn't feel "buggy" to me. More like something that could have been an intended new animation but just done in a half-assed way. (But then again, there is also this new dance that's a bug, so their bugs sure are... good looking? lol)

I recorded it before, just in case, so here you go, the video of my cap: https://mega.nz/file/4A4QxKwZ#VNfSuG...GrwOY9q8nN2DKQ

(The hand in the air looks a bit too suspiciously like in some other games, for example here in AC origins, so I only half-believe them it was "just a bug" )
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, that riding animation does look bad, and I'm glad Cord said it was in fact a bug that will be fixed. I agree that sometimes I wonder if some of the "bugs" we've encountered are in fact, intentional changes that got released too early when they were unfinished. Maybe the new class is supposed to ride like that? Or some new NPC's? (Likewise with the dance.) Who knows.

The worst part for me is that the riders are no longer in sync with the mount, so after a while with a woman character you end up looking like you're diving through the mount bum-first. With a man you're constantly in and out of sync from the very start, and I'm sorry to say it looks like they're trying to stroke the horse with one hand whilst beating it with the other. It's strange and looks awkward.

I all but abandoned my high elf character some time ago because I couldn't stand him going out of sync on his mount after a minute or two of riding, and I felt confident I would never have that problem with my human characters. Oh how wrong I was! I really hope they revert the changes on the riding. I have no problem with the updates to appearance and the new options regarding them, but the riding animations are now horribly broken. Please at least make my human characters look like they're actually on their mount, and not as if they're hovering above it or glitching right through it. I really enjoy the mounts in this game, and I love to collect them, so this is disappointing.

This is a bugged animation, and will be corrected in our next game update.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This is a bugged animation, and will be corrected in our next game update.
    off topic but will these items be updated, my wallet is full?

I thought this man riding animation, which is really the hobby-horse animation showing up with Man characters when riding - even on Stable-master horses - was supposed to be fixed this update? I can't stand playing my race of man characters the animation looks so horrendous. What gives?

Update: Apparently they changed the Release Notes and that change was pushed back to the next update
    Last edited by BentoIce; Apr 26 2023 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    I thought this man riding animation, which is really the hobby-horse animation showing up with Man characters when riding - even on Stable-master horses - was supposed to be fixed this update? I can't stand playing my race of man characters the animation looks so horrendous. What gives?
    Yeah, agreed. Looks like it hasn't been fixed yet.

This has been corrected for war-steeds, but not travel mounts. We expect the remaining fix to be in the next game update.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This has been corrected for war-steeds, but not travel mounts. We expect the remaining fix to be in the next game update.
    Thanks for responding Cordovan. I saw it in the updated patch notes.

Truly happy to see that it IS being reverted, even if a bit later than we'd like.

Learn to read ppl.
    From TODAY patch note :

War-steed animations for Humans and Beornings have been corrected. Travel mount animations for human males and male Beorning will be corrected in the next game update.

It say NEXT so why expect it today ?

Quote Originally Posted by the7hing View Post
    Learn to read ppl.
    From TODAY patch note :

War-steed animations for Humans and Beornings have been corrected. Travel mount animations for human males and male Beorning will be corrected in the next game update.

It say NEXT so why expect it today ?
    Because the release notes have been changed. It was supposed to be fixed for normal mounts as well. Just like BR notes. Before you start throwing *learn to read people* stuff around next time......
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r10 Captain - r6 Guardian - r9 Reaver - r9 Warg

Quote Originally Posted by RicoFTW View Post
    Because the release notes have been changed. It was supposed to be fixed for normal mounts as well. Just like BR notes. Before you start throwing *learn to read people* stuff around next time......
    When were they changed? I read the notes the day they came out and it said only war-steeds were getting fixed this week.

Seriously, this wasn't meant to be fixed? Is this the animation we have to deal with from now on? It's horrible
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast