We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cannot Play with Modern PC

Well, this is probably the same same as many other posts and people are saying read this do that, well, I give up. I keep getting D3d renderer error messages anytime I try to play the game in recent times.

There are posts here over a page long that Ive followed with no success and any installations required ARE installed.

Still no luck.

Why on earth arent they just starting again? It really is time for modernisation, which has so many benefits like stripping me of two lifetime accounts

I seriously cba with this. EVERY other game I have has zero issues, and I have old games too. I shouldn't have to play the game in 25 year old resolutions! (ofc I could just forget about the whole thing, but why?)

I say: Its not us, its the game code, so please, fix it?

Thanks

I am truly sorry for your frustration. But as shown in a video recorded only a few months ago, LotRO can/will run fine on a modern computer. In my own experience, on fresh Windows 11 installs with an Intel 13th gen cpu and nvidia 40-series gpu, there's no issue. I don't say that to gainsay you or frustrate you. I say it only because, when troubleshooting PCs, it's helpful to know that, in a pristine environment, things do work. Leaving us to determine the factor keeping it from working in the environment we find ourselves (restored computer from backup or old system image? moved drive from older computer? etc.).

You mentioned that you've installed all the prerequisites. So, taking that on faith, I'd guess that the next step would be to delete/rename your UserPreferences.ini file from Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online. The hope being that you have something in there (perhaps from a prior computer/config) that is gumming things up.

It does truly work. If you want try to work through the issue, please post your computer specs! If not, I hope this doesn't touch off a "No! It's the game! There's no point!" back-and-forth. I'm not here to try to convince you that the game couldn't be made better or that its method of handling setup and migration to new systems couldn't be improved. . . I'm just saying that it could be made to work and to offer to help you get there.
    Last edited by Laura_of_Dor-lomin; Apr 22 2023 at 10:41 AM.

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    I rebuilt my computer after getting some great deals on parts during the end of year sales. It took a bit of time to get everything working (I dual boot Windows and Linux); but after sorting out drivers, etc., a clean installation of Windows 11 and installing the needed prerequisites; the game runs, for me, just fine. It runs just as fine on the Linux side, too. If you can post your computer's specifications, we might be able to help get you up and running.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Could you be more specific in the errors you are getting? Like codes and literal error messages?
    That might shed some light.