We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please work on a player tank agro system.

With SSG messing with mastery MIT's etc, I'd like to propose that SSG develop the threat system in lotro for tanking. At the moment, agro primarily works by force taunting mobs and copying and then multiplying agro made by the DPS. Yes there are other methods to generate some agro but 9/10 times agro is secured by a force taunt. This isn't great fun, particularly for the start of fights. Either you gave to let your DPS take some hits, or you risk taunting too soon and losing agro, with no way to get it back untill the skill is available again. I know other games have much better mechanics. Classes in tank lines, as a standard, generate much more agro from just using there skills. Relying on forced taunts isn't a great method since all aoe taunts have large CDs.

Side note until there is something in place, please make all force taunts a 10s duration. Poor brawler struggles with multi mob tanking without using mini reset!

Quote Originally Posted by Feldanor View Post
    With SSG messing with mastery MIT's etc, I'd like to propose that SSG develop the threat system in lotro for tanking. At the moment, agro primarily works by force taunting mobs and copying and then multiplying agro made by the DPS. Yes there are other methods to generate some agro but 9/10 times agro is secured by a force taunt. This isn't great fun, particularly for the start of fights. Either you gave to let your DPS take some hits, or you risk taunting too soon and losing agro, with no way to get it back untill the skill is available again. I know other games have much better mechanics. Classes in tank lines, as a standard, generate much more agro from just using there skills. Relying on forced taunts isn't a great method since all aoe taunts have large CDs.

Side note until there is something in place, please make all force taunts a 10s duration. Poor brawler struggles with multi mob tanking without using mini reset!
    We had such a system but the brain drain left us with nought to understand and maintain it. If the likes of Orion had been around there might have been a dissenting voice or two against the changes. We have perhaps gone too far down a path for Orion to claw back all the harm that has been done (in ignorance) since. Hats off to him though. But we perhaps lost the calibre of player along with that downsizing, if not it's direct cause. Please don't assume any insult for such a suggestion; can't have inept play ever be used to promote the game and not result in drawing in such players.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldanor View Post

Honestly I would be happy with threat just being increased by like 200% across the board, there is no reason to make tanks job any harder than it has to be, I've never understood the "struggle to keep threat" mentality of game design.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLeggedCow View Post
    Honestly I would be happy with threat just being increased by like 200% across the board, there is no reason to make tanks job any harder than it has to be, I've never understood the "struggle to keep threat" mentality of game design.

To stimulate the minds of players and not have them punching keys in a specified order. To hear Orion talk of "rotations" a shame, telling how mindless he must assume we are now. Multi effect skill in these rotation means the best effect is removed from our choice to use it situationally.

Asking for combat to be more of a bore? Glad there are T12 delving for some stimulus, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by DoRonRon View Post
    To stimulate the minds of players and not have them punching keys in a specified order. To hear Orion talk of "rotations" a shame, telling how mindless he must assume we are now. Multi effect skill in these rotation means the best effect is removed from our choice to use it situationally.

Asking for combat to be more of a bore? Glad there are T12 delving for some stimulus, finally.
    Ah yes, puddles, puddles and more puddles. So....."stimulating"

Dont forget reflects and triple respawn on dead.

Tank system is made from someone who never tanked. Nor have any idea of gaming in general.
    In other games taunt is used prinary to switch bosses between tanks. Like WoW for example. OR have 15 sec forced duration, low cost, long range, and no cd , like in EsO. Games with no lag, no skill delay, no target healing, etc.
    But in lotro, we make everything clunky, and call it mechanc, or lagy, and call it reduced awareness. So reduced, that in time you are not friking aware what your character do more than 30 seconds.

Also noticed smth strange during years. If mobs spawn. There are no dmg agro, no pre hots, they will attack classes like LM mini, rk 1st. Always.
    Tested so many times. Are there are some targeting based on class ? It can be rng.

Solutiion is here. We already have skill like reduce agro etc. To clases like hunt an rk. Convert this to skills which redirect agro to a specific target. Beor have something similar, just buff it.
    AND give a tanks 200% agro increase like someone suggested.
    Or let it like it is but only if you fix damn lag. So far is a joke. Sorry, bad joke.
    My pc is not high end, but is good enough to play all the content in ultra settings.
    Lets say i barely get fps drop in places like HH or 12m Doom. Like never.
    Did SV countless times, never got fps drop there. And then your u35 come life.
    Tf you did with that 1st boss ? My pc literaly freeze when he summon adds. My video phan sounds like its prepared to be launched at space ..
    This happens in solo instance too. Only at 1st boss, only on add summoning phase ....
    Remind me of HoR hot spot, while you kite tank adds up to first gate. Ppl who kno are aware. Then we blamed LM for the lag but in the end was smth diferent, smth you fix without telling us. Same thing we have outside MT and at NE Angmar, thing you friking refuse to fix.
    Start fixing your game. And by that i dont mean start adding new stuff. Make it playable. Make mechanic smooth. Give your players a journal with loot drop and boss skills explained. To not have situation lie friking dps blaming LM/burg because "there is full of puddles" in instances like Sagroth, not even aware they sh/t those pudles by dispeling themselfs at the wrong time/spot. Give us skill timers/boss skill timers. I dont friking neeed to forced to use plugins like Prime to be able to do sv t3 + and good luck doing it by that. Make it fun not just stack random #### in tiny bucker and then give it a good shake....

Also show some specific roless more love. By start fix your instance finder. Copy it from WoW or EsO or 99% of the other mmos out there.
    We lack tanks. and sometimes we lack support too. There is zero reason one will do a instance after he have lock on chests. Change it. Give a rolle reward to tanks to encourage players, or give some nice mystery bag reward to players who do the instance with locked chest, This will give them reason to redo them more than 2-3 per week.
    ONECE sm1 from Turbine say they refuse to give us such instance finder /automatic/ because it will ruing the social aspec of the game and turn ppl to robots.
    If that person is in SSG can i ask him do what we have now is better .
    Ppl spamming/ lieteraly and i dont blame them/ LFF and WC with Neeed xXXX for xxxx like for hours?

Again, start making things smoother for the players, not just trow random new stuf at ###.
    Speaking of tanks, warden for example.
    Now feel great, but man, how many times per day i want to delete it because of all 6 skills i need to reaply before each significent pull.
    And all this just because sm1 from ssg thing is funy to press keys constanly /speaking out of combat/ refusing to give us one 2min usable only ooc skill which applies this buffs. Also taking feedback from some dimwits who sugested to remove animation of Battle Preparation to make it smoother you know .... But at the end we got our visual efect to help us see do damn skill fire out or not. Even without lag is hard to tell, and now i need extra settings to my addon to be able to track it.
    Whatever.
    No matter what we say, we will still get random changes, based on nothing.
    It may change only if devs play their game. Il will love to see that happen.

Sure if you stand in them. Use your alt account to supply the mini and the hunter to carry all the other classes. Problem being to even things up their utility has been castrated in the raid environment and might come to Delvings in time, for lack imagination/understanding.

I do have to delay each pull by 1min 39seconds (I can work on that a bit) in the worse of cases though. Beats waiting on a crafted token CD though. SSG aren't likely to balance them for all classes are they, see prior paragraph?

Not out of the box, but another box thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Plidak View Post
    Dont forget reflects and triple respawn on dead.

Tank system is made from someone who never tanked. Nor have any idea of gaming in general.
    In other games taunt is used prinary to switch bosses between tanks. Like WoW for example. OR have 15 sec forced duration, low cost, long range, and no cd , like in EsO. Games with no lag, no skill delay, no target healing, etc.
    But in lotro, we make everything clunky, and call it mechanc, or lagy, and call it reduced awareness. So reduced, that in time you are not friking aware what your character do more than 30 seconds.

Also noticed smth strange during years. If mobs spawn. There are no dmg agro, no pre hots, they will attack classes like LM mini, rk 1st. Always.
    Tested so many times. Are there are some targeting based on class ? It can be rng.

Solutiion is here. We already have skill like reduce agro etc. To clases like hunt an rk. Convert this to skills which redirect agro to a specific target. Beor have something similar, just buff it.
    AND give a tanks 200% agro increase like someone suggested.
    Or let it like it is but only if you fix damn lag. So far is a joke. Sorry, bad joke.
    My pc is not high end, but is good enough to play all the content in ultra settings.
    Lets say i barely get fps drop in places like HH or 12m Doom. Like never.
    Did SV countless times, never got fps drop there. And then your u35 come life.
    Tf you did with that 1st boss ? My pc literaly freeze when he summon adds. My video phan sounds like its prepared to be launched at space ..
    This happens in solo instance too. Only at 1st boss, only on add summoning phase ....
    Remind me of HoR hot spot, while you kite tank adds up to first gate. Ppl who kno are aware. Then we blamed LM for the lag but in the end was smth diferent, smth you fix without telling us. Same thing we have outside MT and at NE Angmar, thing you friking refuse to fix.
    Start fixing your game. And by that i dont mean start adding new stuff. Make it playable. Make mechanic smooth. Give your players a journal with loot drop and boss skills explained. To not have situation lie friking dps blaming LM/burg because "there is full of puddles" in instances like Sagroth, not even aware they sh/t those pudles by dispeling themselfs at the wrong time/spot. Give us skill timers/boss skill timers. I dont friking neeed to forced to use plugins like Prime to be able to do sv t3 + and good luck doing it by that. Make it fun not just stack random #### in tiny bucker and then give it a good shake....

Also show some specific roless more love. By start fix your instance finder. Copy it from WoW or EsO or 99% of the other mmos out there.
    We lack tanks. and sometimes we lack support too. There is zero reason one will do a instance after he have lock on chests. Change it. Give a rolle reward to tanks to encourage players, or give some nice mystery bag reward to players who do the instance with locked chest, This will give them reason to redo them more than 2-3 per week.
    ONECE sm1 from Turbine say they refuse to give us such instance finder /automatic/ because it will ruing the social aspec of the game and turn ppl to robots.
    If that person is in SSG can i ask him do what we have now is better .
    Ppl spamming/ lieteraly and i dont blame them/ LFF and WC with Neeed xXXX for xxxx like for hours?

Again, start making things smoother for the players, not just trow random new stuf at ###.
    Speaking of tanks, warden for example.
    Now feel great, but man, how many times per day i want to delete it because of all 6 skills i need to reaply before each significent pull.
    And all this just because sm1 from ssg thing is funy to press keys constanly /speaking out of combat/ refusing to give us one 2min usable only ooc skill which applies this buffs. Also taking feedback from some dimwits who sugested to remove animation of Battle Preparation to make it smoother you know .... But at the end we got our visual efect to help us see do damn skill fire out or not. Even without lag is hard to tell, and now i need extra settings to my addon to be able to track it.
    Whatever.
    No matter what we say, we will still get random changes, based on nothing.
    It may change only if devs play their game. Il will love to see that happen.
    I wanna see orion and the dev team do a livestream of them completing their own delvings on tier 12 solo and t3+ content

As others have noted, we used to have a great aggro system here. Taunt was to switch tanks or to quickly grab adds or in emergency situations only. It was something you saved for when you really needed it. I particularly loved playing my warden with those marvelous aggro leaches.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Morat View Post
    As others have noted, we used to have a great aggro system here. Taunt was to switch tanks or to quickly grab adds or in emergency situations only. It was something you saved for when you really needed it. I particularly loved playing my warden with those marvelous aggro leaches.
    And as a Guard aggrieved at my comrade at arms when he was allowed, at times, to trump my threat But still not the heydays of stance dancing aggro swaps when threat mattered to every player. We lost the emergence skills to take back control of the encounter to have them in the "rotation" for others to beat the rage timers

I've never been a big fan of maintaining aggro as a primary focus for tanks. I haven't played tank at a high level properly yet but I'm a big fan of some other MMOs having the tank focus on actively mitigating attacks (i.e. rotating cooldowns, spending resources, etc. on short-ish defensive buffs) as their primary gameplay focus. It's less binary than aggro, and doing it well reduces the load on healers and makes incoming damage way more predictable. It's a really satisfying gameplay loop.