We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Game Client Fails to Launch

Today I downloaded a fresh install from the LOTRO site. However, when I select a World and hit play the game shuts down.

I did ensure the game is using my discrete graphics card using the instructions here - https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...t-DX-10-and-11

Some specs
    Windows 10 home
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    AMD Radeon RX 580
    16 gb ram

If any other info would help please let me know.

Any suggestions?

1- If you use more than one monitor, please disconnect all but one.
    2- Go to *\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UserPreferences.ini and rename UserPreferences.ini (to UserPreferencesORIGINAL.ini, for example) or move it to another location.
    3- Check your graphics card control panel and be sure you have a specific entry for your discrete graphics card to handle lotroclient64.exe as described in that other thread.
    4- Run LotroLauncher.exe as Administrator.
    5- When the LotroLauncher is running, be sure it is set to use your discrete graphics card and not your integrated graphics or the "automatic" setting as described in that other thread.
    ---
    Note: It is unlikely Step 3 or Step 5 are necessary since your CPU does not have integrated graphics, but please go through that process anyway.
    ---
    6- Enter your credentials and click the PLAY button.
    7a- If the game client launches, GREAT! Report back here with your results then go have fun in Middle-earth.
    7b- If the game client fails to launch, BOO! Go on to Step 8.
    8- Open the newly-created replacement *\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UserPreferences.ini file with your favorite text editor, COPY the entire contents, and PASTE them into your next reply in this thread. Please do so between CODE tags if you know how to do that. Please redact your account name from the pasted contents of the file to protect your security and privacy.

Silent crash to desktop before actual game client launch is what often happens when you use the Steam installer due to the Steam installer failing to install all of the Visual C++ prerequisites. SSG fixed their own installer. But for reasons known only to SSG, they have not ever fixed the Steam installer. Did you install the game from Steam?

Short version: Steam still fails to install the Visual C++ prerequisites.

The microphone is glitching terribly in that video. It is fixed in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura_of_Dor-lomin View Post
    Silent crash to desktop before actual game client launch is what often happens when you use the Steam installer due to the Steam installer failing to install all of the Visual C++ prerequisites. SSG fixed their own installer. But for reasons known only to SSG, they have not ever fixed the Steam installer. Did you install the game from Steam?

Short version: Steam still fails to install the Visual C++ prerequisites.

The microphone is glitching terribly in that video. It is fixed in others.
    I did not use Steam. I used the download link on the LOTRO homepage for the stand alone installer. Thanks for the reply

I followed the steps suggested above. LOTRO still fails to launch. Included below is the contents of the file requested using Notepad.
    Unfamiliar with code tags so unsure how to help with that. The only change is the username which has been rewritten to xxxxx.

[Launcher]
    AllowMultipleInstances=true
    FirstRun=false
    UseHighResolutionGameData=true
    PreCache=true
    SelectLastPlayedWorld=false
    GameClientType=3
    WindowGeometry=@ByteArray(\x1\ xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x1\0\0\0\0\x2X\0 \0\x1\x44\0\0\x5'\0\0\x3l\0\0\ x2X\0\0\x1\x44\0\0\x5'\0\0\x3l \0\0\0\0\0\0)

[User_1]
    UserName=xxxxx
    WorldName_1=Arkenstone
    LastPlayed_1=2023-04-27T12:51:12
    UserFileName_1=en-LOTRO_Eula-html
    UserAckTime_1=2019-04-10T17:56:38
    UserFileName_2=en-LOTRO_TOS-html
    UserAckTime_2=2019-04-10T17:56:38

Thanks for any suggestions.

If it helps/matters at all - LOTRO used to run on this computer. However, at one point Windows became corrupted and needed to be reinstalled.
    I was not playing LOTRO at the time and so did not reinstall the game until just recently.

Quote Originally Posted by afuturestrader View Post
    If it helps/matters at all - LOTRO used to run on this computer. However, at one point Windows became corrupted and needed to be reinstalled.
    I was not playing LOTRO at the time and so did not reinstall the game until just recently.
    CODE tags are a forum function. Like IMG tags for embedding images from links. No worries, what you posted was fine.

A
    Please add the following lines to your UserPreferences.ini file. It doesn't matter where you add them, or in what order:
    Code:
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    Then run the LOTRO Launcher application. Be sure that your graphics card is selected. Then attempt to get the game client to run again.

B
    If that doesn't work, please change one line in your UserPreferences.ini file:
    Code:
    GraphicsCore=D3D11
    Then run the LOTRO Launcher application and try to get the game client to run.

C
    If that doesn't work, please edit the UserPreferences.ini file again to set:
    Code:
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    D
    If you got through Step B and the game still isn't running after you click PLAY in the LOTRO Launcher application, let's be sure you have the latest C++ stuff as Laura suggested. Even with the SSG installer, this sometimes doesn't get installed correctly. Go to this web page...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...?view=msvc-170
    ...and download from the "Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022" part of the page the X64 Redistributable package. Install the package. Restart your PC if needed. Then run the LOTRO Launcher application and attempt to get the game client to run.

In all cases, please run the LOTRO Launcher application, LotroLauncher.exe, as administrator.

All seems to be working now! Thank you for your help.