We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Will there be a new Shadowfax?

I'd like to give the quicker multiple cap runs a go, now the ship has long sailed on Treebeard for me. I'm sure there might at least be one other player somewhere who would enjoy it, I've never got in on the ground floor on a legendary server and I'd like too. Hope they start another one.

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    They may create another "fresh start" progression server like Anor, Ithil, Treebeard and Shadowfax. They may create a fresh start non-progression server for VIPs only. Capped at 50 or 75 for example since populations tend to die as servers get into Rohan and mounted combat. They may create a fresh start non-progression server with a different ruleset such as free trade or a focus on grouping (harder mobs or a huge xp penalty when not in a group) whether for VIPs or everyone. They may do nothing. As far as I know the only information we have is that they "may" create another "legendary" server of indeterminate ruleset and it "may" be sometime this year. For all we know they will announce something when they give the details of Shadowfax closing which could come as early as today or tomorrow (tomorrow being the date Shadowfax gets the latest content). I would not bet on it.

I'd personally say another Shadowfax doesn't seem likely. Its reception was underwhelming from the start, and when met with a choice much more people chose Treebeard instead. LOTRO's playerbase generally showed to be much more inclined towards slow leveling and slow progression than the opposite.

That said, even if they release another TB I'd say it would underperform too. They need to make some changes to the core game mechanics or else any fresh Legendary Server will end up being a failure in a matter of months. It's been proven that these servers struggle with player retention after Angmar-Moria.

If they do, I'm betting the next VIP server will be another event server, like Bombadil. Something with a defined, limited lifespan from the start.

No telling what they might want to test out as a part of it, but they'll find a way to incorporate something novel into the adventure.

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    " It's been proven that these servers struggle with player retention after Angmar-Moria."

Truth. So they need to consider either a non-progression approach or some new "hook" to get us to try again.

While unlikely, another possibility is a legendary server that does not have a single fixed ruleset for speed of leveling and speed of new releases. Picking numbers almost randomly - something like a year at the original level 50 cap with xp at 80%, six months of Moria with xp at 80%, 6 months through Isengard with xp at 80% and then new level caps every month with xp at 150%.

I love the legendary servers! And I do hope they start a fresh one soon.

There's something so fun about starting with nothing, not being able to move anything on or off. And while the community lasts on the servers, it feels so much more like old times than anything on the traditional live servers.

And I do love getting the chance to max out my Eldgang rep
    ---
    "the only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive."