We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    Hand

/words
    I would hazard that it is Maedhros that you have in mind. He was hung by his right hand from the walls of Thangorodrim by Morgoth; and later rescued by Fingon, who cut his hand of to do so.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    The butlers name was Galion
    That is correct. Galion the butler also happens to be the only elf with a given name in the entire Hobbit.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    That is correct. Galion the butler also happens to be the only elf with a given name in the entire Hobbit.
    you mean besides elrond and thranduil? that's an interesting tidbit i didn't realize...

who's turn?

Jaylaxel - 140 LM | Moiron - 140 Champ | Aedush - R5 Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    who's turn?
    Not sure, but here's a new one.

Rapunzel?

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Not sure, but here's a new one.

Rapunzel?
    Luthien Tinuviel, who let down her hair to escape the tree house she was held in when Thingol realized she would go after Beren.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    I would hazard that it is Maedhros that you have in mind. He was hung by his right hand from the walls of Thangorodrim by Morgoth; and later rescued by Fingon, who cut his hand of to do so.
    Yup.

/words
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Tater?

/words
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Mash 'em, boil 'em, put them in stew, but you can keep your nasty chips, Precious.

[I suppose a proper answer would be Samwise Gamgee, or else Gollum responding to Sam.]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

you mean besides elrond and thranduil? that's an interesting tidbit i didn't realize...

who's turn?
    elrond is named, thranduil is not. hes simply called the elven king

Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    elrond is named, thranduil is not. hes simply called the elven king
    Ah, but I said the only elf to be named. I did not include half-elves in my statement.

Actually, I should allow for the possibility that Bladorthin was an elf, but the name certainly doesn't sound elvish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    Luthien Tinuviel, who let down her hair to escape the tree house she was held in when Thingol realized she would go after Beren.
    Yes. Luthien is correct.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

What did I have today, yesterday and looks like getting again tomorrow?.
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Death?

To keep this riddle from being classified with Amnesty International as a potential Human Rights Violation, the answer I'm looking for is in The Hobbit. I'll also say that to the best of my knowledge it's in harmony with the Cutholen Standard, to wit:

Please, the clue is not arbitrary. There are no doubt hundreds, if not thousands of x's for any given x in Tolkien's works; and I am not making you play a guessing game amongst all those hundreds of things. The answer when found will also be found to fit the clue exactly, and uniquely.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    What did I have today, yesterday and looks like getting again tomorrow?.
    any Hobbit worth his salt would say "Lunch!"
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

On the right track but no.

Mutton according to one of the trolls in The Hobbit.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Correct, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Death?

To keep this riddle from being classified with Amnesty International as a potential Human Rights Violation, the answer I'm looking for is in The Hobbit. I'll also say that to the best of my knowledge it's in harmony with the Cutholen Standard, to wit:
    Smaug's breath.

Ah, but I said the only elf to be named. I did not include half-elves in my statement.

Actually, I should allow for the possibility that Bladorthin was an elf, but the name certainly doesn't sound elvish.
    However, the name Bladorthin seems to be of Elvish origin. The first part blador, elsewhere found in Bladorwen, another name for Yavanna which is glossed as "the wide earth", "Mother Earth" (in Tolkien's GnomishLexicon? related words are blant 'flat, open, expansive, candid', blath 'floor', bladwen 'a plain'). The second part, -thin represents the Sindarin element 'grey'. Christopher Gilson suggests (in a letter to Vinyar Tengwar 17:1) that blador could also be an agent noun of the meaning 'wanderer, ranger, pilgrim'. Hence Bladorthin could (like Mithrandir) be rendered to "grey pilgrim".
    http://www.thetolkienwiki.org/wiki.cgi?Bladorthin

Mash 'em, boil 'em, put them in stew, but you can keep your nasty chips, Precious.

[I suppose a proper answer would be Samwise Gamgee, or else Gollum responding to Sam.]
    Yep, yep, and yep. Easy enough
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Smaug's breath.
    You are right! Jeeze, I thought that one would be harder.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

The shadows.

geez who's turn exactly? we still doing one word?

Jaylaxel - 140 LM | Moiron - 140 Champ | Aedush - R5 Stalker

Maedhros the Tall was the eldest son of Fëanor, and the last of his house. He was captured by Morgoth, who hung Maedhros by his right hand from a cliff in Thangorodrim. Fingon freed him by cutting off his hand. Later, when the Silmarils had been reclaimed, Maedhros ended up with one of them, having stolen it, but it burned his (other, I suppose) hand, by which he knew that he had lost his right to it. The pain in his hand was unbearable and so he threw himself (with the Silmaril) into a fiery chasm, and died.

Edit: Ah crud, this one's already been answered. Thought the end of the page was the end of the thread.
    Last edited by gradivus; Mar 18 2010 at 03:54 PM.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

geez who's turn exactly? we still doing one word?
    I think the concept of turns disappeared at about the time we had three riddles concurrently. However, as the answerer of the last riddle before those three were proposed, and one of the three; I have as strong a claim to it being my turn as anyone else. I waited, however, till no other riddles were unanswered before proposing mine.

As to whether "The shadows" is an acceptable clue, I'm not sure. You can, however treat the clue as being "Shadows", or content yourself that it IS one word in ur-Quenya.

Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast