We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

Good work, Mr. Hawk.

Well done.

Wow, that took a lot of work and attention to detail. I'm going to link to this from my kin's own forums.

Some must fight, so that all may be free.

I'm glad this has been so well received. My thanks go out for all the comments and praise it has garnered thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by GV-Tanith View Post
    Wow, that took a lot of work and attention to detail.
    Just to give you an example of my thought process in putting this together, there is actually one point where the Fellowship's path is a little uncertain. I'm fairly confident that my final mapping of their path is accurate, but here is how I determined what that path was.

Now consider this passage, part of which I left out of my original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, Ch. 4: A Journey in the Dark
    It was well for the Company that they had such a guide. They had no fuel nor any means of making torches; in the desperate scramble at the doors many things had been left behind. But without any light they would soon have come to grief. There were not only many roads to choose from, there were also in many places holes and pitfalls, and dark wells beside the path in which their passing feet echoed. There were fissures and chasms in the walls and floor, and every now and then a crack would open right before their feet. The widest was more than seven feet across, and it was long before Pippin could summon enough courage to leap over the dreadful gap. The noise of churning water came up from far below, as if some great mill-wheel was turning in the depths.

[. . .]

The Company behind [Frodo] spoke seldom, and then only in hurried whispers. There was no sound but the sound of their own feet; the dull stump of Gimli's dwarf-boots; the heavy tread of Boromir; the light step of Legolas; the soft, scarce-heard patter of hobbit-feet; and in the rear the slow firm footfalls of Aragorn with his long stride. When they halted for a moment they heard nothing at all, unless it were occasionally a faint trickle and drip of unseen water. Yet Frodo began to hear, or to imagine that he heard, something else: like the faint fall of soft bare feet. It was never loud enough, or near enough, for him to feel certain that he heard it; but once it had started it never stopped, while the Company was moving. But it was not an echo, for when they halted it pattered on for a little all by itself, and then grew still.
    The part highlighted in green could very well be a description of the chasm marked by A. If so, this would mean that the Fellowship would have taken the yellow path. However, the latter quote marked in blue indicates that while the Fellowship heard dripping water, it remained faint and was never seen. Had they followed the yellow path, they would have eventually crossed over The Dwarf-lord's gate (B). This gate is flanked on either side by waterfalls that flow, as if they were beards, from statues of dwarven faces. Most certainly, the Fellowship would have both seen and heard these waterfalls; but as already described, they only heard faint, "unseen water". With this bit of information, we can very clearly say that the Fellowship did not follow the yellow path. This leaves only one other option, the red path, that the Fellowship could have followed on their way to the Chamber of the Crossroads. Clearly then, the seven foot gap encountered by the Fellowship was not the chasm (A) marked above. Furthermore, this latter route would have kept them away from The Dwarf-lord's Gate, which would be an excellent indication of why they heard water flowing, but never actually saw it.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Another Request...

Redhawk, can you help trace gandalf VS balrog fight from the bridge of khazaddum to the peaks of caradhras ?

also can you include the screen shot of those 'unnamable gnawing ancient things' that gandalf and the balrog met in their fight ? afaik those 'things' scared gandalf and the balrog so bad that they both forgot their fight and they flee the deeps..

thanks
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000003df53/01006/signature.png]Thissa[/charsig]

Once you get into Moria you'll see them. Besides, I think their path is pretty simple: straight down to the 'foundations of stone' and then straight up the Endless Stair to Zirak-zigil.

This is awesome!
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinanda View Post
    This is awesome!
    In other news, water is found to be wet!

[center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post

We are also receiving reports that the sky may be blue but it may be North Korean Propaganda

Quote Originally Posted by magu View Post
    We are also receiving reports that the sky may be blue but it may be North Korean Propaganda
    I think Gandalf was on to something...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Two Towers, Ch. 5: The Window on the West
    'Mithrandir we called him in elf-fashion,' said Faramir, 'and he was content. Many are my names in many countries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.'

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post

Fine, mock me for pointing out the obvious! I was just struck pretty speechless by teh awesomeness of it all.

Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

Thumbs up Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

Thank you very much for the thread OP, very well done!
    Theoandor - Leader of Children of Illuvatar.
    Soloing Middle Earth since '07.
    Currently recruiting for Children of Illuvatar. Send tell in game or message on forums for more information regarding kin membership!

Very well done post sir!

I so enjoy reading posts such as this. Thank you for putting it together.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][FONT=Monotype Corsiva][COLOR=Aqua]Evenstar Kinship[/COLOR] - [URL]http://www.evenstar-kinship.com[/URL] - [COLOR=Aqua]Vilya Server[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Wow! That is totally awesome! Thanks!
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000affe8/signature.png]Larriel[/charsig]
    Lifetime Member since November 2007
    [/COLOR]

Simply awesome Reddhawk.

Thank you!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000163a5d/01008/signature.png]Mjollinar[/charsig]
    "Those are horsepants." -[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]floon[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]
    [/COLOR]

Wow. You really like lotr.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320d01000005b1bf/signature.png]Grivri[/charsig]

I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed reading this. It makes me realize just how much attention Turbine put into Moria.

Reddhawk, I am truly impressed.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by stubing View Post
    Wow. You really like lotr.
    Oh, you have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinanda View Post
    Fine, mock me for pointing out the obvious! I was just struck pretty speechless by teh awesomeness of it all.

Not mocking, just stating in a fun way how obvious it is that this thread is awesome

Btw, EVERYONE needs to visit this thread -> Nominate this thread for the Hall of Fame!
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

19. Jun 20 2009, 08:22 AM

Dude that's sick! Thank you for doing it Hawk.
    Beo ~ Chn
    Tho ~ Brg
    -=TDWF=-

Holy hell Redd that is amazing!

The tiniest details that Turbine implements in-game and the length that the fans of this Trilogy will go to warms my heart

The Professor would be proud
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000be194/01008/signature.png]Beragle[/charsig]
    [color=#0000FF][url=http://eriadorsknights.freeforums.org/] Eriador's Knights Kinship of Vilya[/url][font=Harrington] Beragle 65 champ ~~ Caeser 29 minny ~~ Twain 19 burg[/font][/color]
    [COLOR=gold][size=4][I][font=Old english text MT]We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me; Shall be my brother.[/font][/I][/size][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Reodred14 View Post
    Holy hell Redd that is amazing!

The tiniest details that Turbine implements in-game and the length that the fans of this Trilogy will go to warms my heart

The Professor would be proud
    Indeed! Huzzah for such an amazing effort. I must agree, while I have admired the creative detail and numerous unique locations in Moria, I had no idea Turbine followed the LOTR story even to tiny details like the recesses and chests in the Chamber of Mazarbul.

Many thanks for the wonderful tour, Reddhawk,

Aerhinn

Wow, thanks Red. The world builders rock (except for the random glowy rocks :P). Ah well, still an awesome job done by all.
    Ned sidh,

Nólënaoir Mistalass
    Bowling for Hobbits

Quote Originally Posted by Nolenaoir View Post
    The world builders rock (except for the random glowy rocks :P).
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the crystals that light Moria, but if so, that's straight out of the lore too. Gimli provides the information in his song about Moria.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, Ch. 4: A Journey in the Dark
    . . .

The light of sun and star and moon

In shining lamps of crystal hewn

Undimmed by cloud or shade of night

There shone for ever fair and bright.

. . .

hey Reddhawk, I followed the path that you mentioned with the path and the fellowships path that was away from the waterfalls and i found a casam like cliff that i needed to jump over to get past it wast deep it was more like a dip but i think that might be the one you were trying to find

Last edited by ilikeham49; Jun 21 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    hey Reddhawk, I followed the path that you mentioned with the path and the fellowships path that was away from the waterfalls and i found a casam like cliff that i needed to jump over to get past it wast deep it was more like a dip but i think that might be the one you were trying to find
    So you think you found the seven foot chasm that Pippin was afraid to jump over? Any chance you can get the coordinates of the area?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast