We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

Is The book of Mazarbul still left in Moria?
    In that case Gimli must have dropped it, clumsy dwarf.

To all of you who have expressed your thanks, you are quite welcome and I offer you my sincerest thanks in return for your continued interest in this thread. Even after two years since its creation, I am still pleasantly surprised to see it getting further attention.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBeard View Post
    Is The book of Mazarbul still left in Moria?
    In that case Gimli must have dropped it, clumsy dwarf.
    No, if I remember correctly, the book only appears in session play during the quest "We Cannot Get Out". The book is found on Balin's tomb. As you can see from a few of the photos, during normal play there is no book to be found there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-Man View Post
    Bumping because everyone should check out this post..... Anyone know if Reddhawk has more of these type of posts?
    Oldbadgerbrock has from time to time posted lore threads in this forum that are similar in concept to this one by Reddhawk. You can find some of them here:

http://forums.lotro.com/search.php?searchid=1324771
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Fantastic thread. Kudos!

Back during the lead up to MoM, I wrote a post that took many of those same quotes and used them to describe the layout of Moria: things to do vs. things not to do. I wanted to see as accurate a portrayal of Moria from the books as possible. The various layouts I had seen before were only sporadically accurate. The movies gave a good portrayal of Moria's atmosphere, but lacked in the details of the layout.

Not so LOTRO. To the devs credit, they stuck VERY close to the books. The 1st thing I did when I entered Moria on my champion was to travel the Fellowship's path, or at least try to. I did it without looking at the in game map, and I was able to retrace almost the exact same route shown here. That was based on nothing but my memory from the books.

This thread shows, in a really cool way, just how much care Turbine took with Moria.

Thanks!
    Vardelm - Dwarf Champion
    Lonely Mountain Band - Landroval

Quasi-Khuzdul - My analysis & expansion of Tolkien's Dwarven language.

Change you name to Legen Dary, Officer of Awesomeness

This also shows us the amount of work the devs put in Moria and their lore-respect, I'd also love to see something like this done for the entire journey, especially before the mountains^^

Thumbs up Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    *slow applause*
    *standing ovation*

I'm speachless.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000212bd/signature.png]Raran[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    To all of you who have expressed your thanks, you are quite welcome and I offer you my sincerest thanks in return for your continued interest in this thread. Even after two years since its creation, I am still pleasantly surprised to see it getting further attention.

No, if I remember correctly, the book only appears in session play during the quest "We Cannot Get Out". The book is found on Balin's tomb. As you can see from a few of the photos, during normal play there is no book to be found there.
    No during the epic line Brogur sends you to the chamber of Mazarbul, where you recover the book amongst the rubble. When you return the book to Brogur he asks you to bring it to Bosi in the chamber of the crossroads. The session play is actually Bosi telling you the story he's been reading in the book you brought him a few epic book chapters ago.

Fantastic Reddhawk quite an achievement.

I have just started to read The Lord of The Rings and I can't wait to read all about the Mines of Moria; having played LOTRO before reading the LOTR it does seem familiar when I read a place name as I say to myself, 'I have been there.'

I would request a sticky just so people can enjoy the hard work you put in.

Thank you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001fa9bf/signature.png]Freidrick[/charsig]

9. Sep 11 2011, 05:23 PM

I will just write the same

Wow, its like reading the books with images! And kudos to the art team of LOTRO!

this is absolutely amazing
    'For little price, do Elven-kings sell their daughters: for gems, and things made by craft. But if this be your will, Thingol, I will perform it. And when we meet again my hand shall hold a Silmaril from the Iron Crown; for you have not looked the last upon Beren son of Barahir.' [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000029a029/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cronin_Stickyfingers View Post
    No during the epic line Brogur sends you to the chamber of Mazarbul, where you recover the book amongst the rubble. When you return the book to Brogur he asks you to bring it to Bosi in the chamber of the crossroads. The session play is actually Bosi telling you the story he's been reading in the book you brought him a few epic book chapters ago.
    Thank you for the clarification. I did not recall the Book of Mazarbul making an appearance other than during the session play, but then again, it's been a few years since I last played through these quests.

At any rate, I must thank you all again once more for your continued interest in this thread. It is always a pleasant surprise to find it back at the top of the forums.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Excellent read!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001987d6/signature.png]Grifinor[/charsig]

bumpedybump for a great thread, awesome reading, and always great knowing how much of an effort it must have been to design all these pieces into that expansion.

I still remember fondly stumbling on the balrog outside of the mountain, as well as reading several lore-related threads, explaining several runes and oddities found throughout moria, like that globe below of dolven-view.

I wish the devs such a free hand for the next expansion, spending what must be an awesome amount of time (can't say wasting if its done so well) on all these small details.

A really lovely read

I hope people appreciate Turbine a little more after this thread.
    ~Commander Zaddoc the Undying
    The Lost Alliance, Evernight
    twitter.com/STARS_TyranT

Can't believe that I've missed this thread. Absolutely amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this!
    [COLOR=#00ff00]The road to success is always under construction.[/COLOR]

Excellent thread mate! Much <3 for the game's rendition of Moria!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000171e32/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Outstanding very well researched

Exiled from Eldar to Evernight , many and varied are my characters (but none very well played)

Good work Redd, I don't remember seeing this thread before, I came upon it by way of yet another thread. I applaud you for taking the time to map out the path using screenshots, whereas I could only add explanatory links in this thread: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...97#post3573897

As I indicated in that other thread, Turbine did a fine job in constructing Moria accurately.

Rip
    [CENTER][URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Rippentuck/LotRO/?albumview=slideshow"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="4"]The Perilous Travels of Two Hobbits: A Hands-Free Visual Journey[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR="SeaGreen"][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=3573897#post3573897"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="4"]From Balin's Tomb to the Bridge of Khazad-dum[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [center][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=264595"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]All Along the River: The War of the Ring on the Water[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/center]

My favorite moment in Moria was when I very first made it to the bridge of Khazad- Dum and thought to myself, "This is where it happened".
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    My favorite moment in Moria was when I very first made it to the bridge of Khazad- Dum and thought to myself, "This is where it happened".
    This was definitely a great moment for me as well. The first thing that popped into my head though was, "Wow! Gandalf really did a number on this thing!".
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Awesome

I was just doing this trip now, and came here and found this. Awesome post!

Good Job!

This has to be one of the top threads on the forums! GREAT JOB! LOVED IT!
    Please do more posts like this!
    . Montras (Main - Hunter 105); Goswen (Minstrel - 105): Amtu (Black Arrow R8) Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

I am presently journeying through Moria and I find it an amazing place. Now that I have found this thread I need to do a bit more sightseeing with the books in mind. The attention to Lore is something I feel the developers should get more credit for. This game, the developers, and the players who inhabit this world are truly something special.

Wow. Just wow.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast