We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Update 7 teasers required!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorcar View Post
    Well, at least that is more information than his previous answer of "yes"
    And his previous answer of "yes" itself is more information than his usual answer of "Soon".

Personally I'm hoping for a scaling Fornost, possibly broken down to 3 full fellowship instances. Now that would be a nice content addition.

Quote Originally Posted by defrule View Post
    You might as well say "I can damage enemies, sounds familiar."
    I could have said that... but didn't. The poster that I was replying to put up a link to show how social interaction is encouraged in GW2....

Then the video basically goes on to show why it is encouraged... Those reasons... which I mentioned in my post are the same for all MMO's. So as far as that video I don't see any "big idea" coming from GW2....

Time will tell.
    Playing since 9/11/2006

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Thorcar View Post
    Well, at least that is more information than his previous answer of "yes"
    Technically I think "Yes" was Aaron's answer while mine was, "Absolutely,yes."

I'm also happy to have proven that I clearly cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Or, more accurately, level my Guardian in Forochel while attempting to tease changes to Fornost. Sorry about that. As some of you pointed out,I meant Fornost in my last post and have edited it accordingly. I feel bad about that, because the team has done some great work on Fornost.

As an apology, let me give another tidbit about Update 7.

You should get a look at it late next week on Bullroarer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Technically I think "Yes" was Aaron's answer while mine was, "Absolutely,yes."

I'm also happy to have proven that I clearly cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Or, more accurately, level my Guardian in Forochel while attempting to tease changes to Fornost. Sorry about that. As some of you pointed out,I meant Fornost in my last post and have edited it accordingly. I feel bad about that, because the team has done some great work on Fornost.

As an apology, let me give another tidbit about Update 7.

You should get a look at it late next week on Bullroarer.
    Uhhhh, please make mistakes more often so we get more apologies?
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

I can't WAIT to get into Fornost on BR...

My only complaint would be that my mini wouldn't be geared enough on the server to heal well

Sapience has been teasing with sneak previews on mounted combat on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrek View Post
    To be honest from that video I got two things...

1. You can buff teammates..... sounds familiar....
    2. There is certain content that needs certain players to complete... Again sound familiar.

Not saying GW2 is good or bad... just saying from that video it does not seem that different than other MMOs.
    Consider this: right here in LOTRO forums, how often do you see people discussing subjects like "mining etiquette", or "competition for slayer deeds/quest mobs", or "quests bugged out because some other player tagged a quest mob", or "penalized with XP for receiving unneeded help from passer-bys", or "quests instances cannot be completed in fellowships", or "rude and blind fellowship invites from strangers (even though we're obviously working on the same quests/deeds)".

These are some of the catalysts that encourage anti-social playstyle, because the system penalizes people for helping each other and for working together. These are some of the factors that encourage players to play alone and to avoid other players, not because most players are loners by nature, but because most players want to avoid unnecessary conflicts that arise from a PVE design that makes it difficult and unrewarding to do things together naturally -- you'd have to send tells and invites to form an actual group, and even after those you'd still have to deal with reduced XP, reduced challenge (non-scaling landscape mobs), reduced loot (loot is shared), and reduced accessibility (solo quest instances, having to wait for others to turn in and complete quests, stuck in different stages in quest progression, etc).

When the PVE design forces the players to help NPCs but not other players, you can't say it's not inherently flawed.

I'm not going to go into details on how GW2 is breaking that mold though. The internet is full of review and preview articles for anyone who's intrigued. I'll just say this: where Warhammer and Rift had the right idea with public quests and events, but ultimately fell short because they were too conservative and stuck to the standard MMO questing model for the larger parts, GW2 is finally an MMO that takes the idea and turns it into a full-fledged PVE experience.

Quote Originally Posted by defrule View Post
    Abandoning the questing paradigm - Quests are a good idea to a certain point but at the stage we're at now they lack meaning and importance. Killing 10 orcs outside Galtrev might be a quest objective but once you complete it, what does it do? What impact does it have? In the dynamic events in Guild Wars 2, clearing enemies near a pond would let villages gather water from the pond and you will see this direct impact from your action. In quests you are given text telling you a village is under attack but orcs are just standing around in the village. In dynamic events, orcs are actually attacking villagers and you act on what you see not on what you read. Your actions affect the world in a persistent way.

Co-operative play - Grouping is actually a big barrier a lot of the time. It is no fun waiting for players or the right classes to join in order to do an instance and for some instances it is almost impossible. You know there is a problem when people have to resort to player made channels to form groups, in fact if we didn't have globallff, people might have resorted to IRC. It is ridiculous that there is content that can't be done naturally, it is ridiculus that raids need scheduling on kin websites. These are all player solutions to in game problems and are unacceptable. Imagine if there was no auction house but someone makes a functioning and popular auction website for the game, is this acceptable? In GW2 teamwork is adhoc, we play in teams by acting as a team not by inviting people into the group. I can play with someone but not have to explicitly group with them and the dynamic events will always scale in difficulty to the number of people in it. No more waiting for a group to do content, you simply go there and participate. A polymorphic form of content that is neither solo nor group content but adjusts itself to accommodate for all.

Self-sufficient classes - However you look at it, in this game we need some for of tank, healing, support and damage. There are a few exceptions but in the majority of cases that is the structure. Jon Peters has stated he hates the trinity because it only creates dependencies among players and he is correct. With self-sufficient classes, you can tackle content even with 5 rangers. You wouldn't dream of doing Foundry with 6 champions. This also means you don't have to wait for that healer or tank to join in order to start doing stuff. Wait to play is NOT fun.
    These are the same reasons I'm going to leave LOTRO for a while and try this, too. This here sounds like a system of MMOing worth taking a look at.

Will LOTRO die because of GW2? No, not unless Turbine is stupid and kills it themselves. The LOTRO world and story is unique, so I'm not likely to leave the game for good; I'll come back at expansion time and take a look. LOTRO will still be around, though it might be quiet for a while.

I love several things about LOTRO, but I have to admit that after 3 years, I'm getting bored with the quests in each zone that all feel and look the same. I'm tired of grinding deeds and reputation. I'm discouraged about all the group content I'm missing. I'm unhappy that my gaming experience here now feels so mercenary. So, I'm going to play GW2 and take a break for a bit. Have a more inclusive MMO experience. I've talked with a lot of players lately that are essentially planning to do the same thing. Will I spend less at the Store and let my sub run out while I'm gone? You bet your sweet bippy.

Alright already, have fun chasing high heeled bikini warriors, werewolf thingies and marshmallow sprites or whatever the hell they call their races.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands79 View Post
    Alright already, have fun chasing high heeled bikini warriors, werewolf thingies and marshmallow sprites or whatever the hell they call their races.
    And we'll see you when you come back.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

10. Apr 27 2012, 09:33 PM

11. Apr 27 2012, 09:36 PM

Just hope they didnt break up Fornost. I liked it being a full city with out zones with the outside....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000001bb19/01008/signature.png]Valan[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    And we'll see you when you come back.
    I ain't leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebria View Post
    These are the same reasons I'm going to leave LOTRO for a while and try this, too. This here sounds like a system of MMOing worth taking a look at.

Will LOTRO die because of GW2? No, not unless Turbine is stupid and kills it themselves. The LOTRO world and story is unique, so I'm not likely to leave the game for good; I'll come back at expansion time and take a look. LOTRO will still be around, though it might be quiet for a while.

I love several things about LOTRO, but I have to admit that after 3 years, I'm getting bored with the quests in each zone that all feel and look the same. I'm tired of grinding deeds and reputation. I'm discouraged about all the group content I'm missing. I'm unhappy that my gaming experience here now feels so mercenary. So, I'm going to play GW2 and take a break for a bit. Have a more inclusive MMO experience. I've talked with a lot of players lately that are essentially planning to do the same thing. Will I spend less at the Store and let my sub run out while I'm gone? You bet your sweet bippy.
    I agree to some extent - I am really hoping that Rohan will come with some new and exciting game elements - time will tell.
    The Balrog lives!! Oh, and give MECCG a try.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002be0/01008/signature.png]Eladrath[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEirnie View Post
    Just hope they didnt break up Fornost. I liked it being a full city with out zones with the outside....
    I predict broken up. Scaled. New deeds.

Who knows..maybe they'll shock us with some more revamp to go with Fornost.. The North downs quests?..Maybe they're working backwards? They just did Edenwaith..so.. Mirkwood? Moria?
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    I predict broken up. Scaled. New deeds.

Who knows..maybe they'll shock us with some more revamp to go with Fornost.. The North downs quests?..Maybe they're working backwards? They just did Edenwaith..so.. Mirkwood? Moria?
    In this interview back before U5 (at 37:32-38:14) they mention that they might be revamping Moria sometime soon. We'll see.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 105 Captain, Nunion 110 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

More than likely yeah, they probably revised it ala Garth Agawen. That is, have a few three-mans (courtyard and water boss, upper yard and fire boss?) and then a 6-man at the end (main keep et al). Which isn't a bad idea, because otherwise Fornost is looooooooooong.

"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Celebria View Post

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. The single thing I hate most about LOTRO is the in-game store. When GW2 comes out, I'm definitely gonna go play that instead of LOTRO. If it turns out GW2 has a cashshop like LOTROs, then I'm quitting both games and i'm gonna go play counter strike GO lol

Quote Originally Posted by melee_classes View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. The single thing I hate most about LOTRO is the in-game store. When GW2 comes out, I'm definitely gonna go play that instead of LOTRO. If it turns out GW2 has a cashshop like LOTROs, then I'm quitting both games and i'm gonna go play counter strike GO lol
    Uh, GW2 does have a cash shop. Microtransaction is the only way any non-subscription model can survive.

(Although I think you should do some research and see what is in its store before passing judgment. It's not necessarily evil.)

Stop this GW2 offtop. It's just another starting game with small amount of content and misty endgame. Yes, it has some good ideas but i saw a lot of failed games with good ideas. The best what GW can hope for is take own niche in market and live there as LOTRO do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    In this interview back before U5 (at 37:32-38:14) they mention that they might be revamping Moria sometime soon. We'll see.
    I hope so. Many areas in Moria are nearly not elaborated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiya View Post
    Uh, GW2 does have a cash shop. Microtransaction is the only way any non-subscription model can survive.

(Although I think you should do some research and see what is in its store before passing judgment. It's not necessarily evil.)
    Nothing is in that store that you cannot get through other in-game means.

You know, the model turbine kinda promised to do when they introduced the store?

So far, I have been very impressed with the sneak-peak of the game while it is still under development.
    Plenty of things to do, little grind, great PvP. They are really taking this game very very seriously, and have quite a unique attitude with their developers towards the game.

It's going to take one huge miracle of a development by turbine to convince me not to move when they start to prep for packaging.
    So far I get the idea U7 is just going to be another rushed content release, but I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Nice catch..I'd forgotten that was mentioned there.. ; Now the question becomes, push into and through moria with the double xp. or park and see if that made it in to update 7...
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Nice catch..I'd forgotten that was mentioned there.. ; Now the question becomes, push into and through moria with the double xp. or park and see if that made it in to update 7...
    I am in Moria now but leaving at 59 for Loth on my LM. I stopped at the epic questline where the Drowned Treasury is and I'll wait to see if they make things a bit more streamlined. If not, I'll just continue on then come back to the epic when I've outleveled some of the content.

Either way, the game is fun and it's all about enjoying what's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    Stop this GW2 offtop. It's just another starting game with small amount of content and misty endgame.
    LOOOOOOL. That is all.
    I'm the gigalo with the most below.

Quote Originally Posted by RiceandPea View Post
    Because GW2 needs no sub unlike the recent MMOs so if far more likely to affect those who play Lotro because they can play without a sub. Because Arenanet have a good rep in the gaming community for looking after their players. And most importantly, because it's Guild Wars 2
    Yup, and 9-10 months later your going to say, maan I can't wait for GW3 subs go up and down with content releases and updates (except for GW's since there won't be to much after the release except for fixes to bugs) have fun, life is short.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002f1f5b/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I think you've somewhat missed what GW2 is about.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/long-term-thinking/

Randall Price said that development on the title won’t stop when the game is launched, and post-launch content is already on the table.

“We today know a number of the high-level features that we’re going to do, and expansion content for years to come.”

And we thought they’d just launch the game, say “There you go,” and then go on a mass six-month vacation.

That’s great for expansion plans, but what about the smaller content updates and patches that every game needs between its big releases?

Price has you covered there, too:

“…and the medium-term goals will relate to things along the line of the patches that will come out post-release of the game, and the cadence that we’re going to get into around that, and the way that we’re going to be dividing our team between different disciplines to be able to continue to punch out incredible content for people. We’re launching a service – you don’t launch a box and be done with it. We have years of awesome, fun work ahead of us.”
    I'm the gigalo with the most below.

Quote Originally Posted by Untg99 View Post
    Nothing is in that store that you cannot get through other in-game means.
    Of course, you're saying that about a game that isn't actually *live* yet, let alone has been around for a while. It's really easy to promote a game that is all things to all people when it isn't actually on the market yet...

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast