We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No news is good news...?

Hi all,

I don't do the community stream so I'm not sure if there has been news there, but it seems oddly quiet around here. No posts from Frelorn in awhile, it's Wednesday without any dev communication. I guess I'm just wondering when we might hear about U18... or the raid cluster... or plans for the year?

Hope everyone is well.

Well except for the Dev Diary it has been really quiet because of all the problems related to the server merges, lag and whatnot. I'm expecting some info or clues throughout Mars otherwise I'd be disappointed. However, with Easter coming up I wouldn't hold my breath

I doubt we will get Update 18 before middle of May. It is early for them to be discussing Update 18. I am expecting to start hearing about it in April perhaps a month from now.

Assuming I am reading these right. We got

Update 15 - November 5, 2014
    Update 16 - May 4, 2015
    Update 17 - October 27, 2015

Turbine is doing two major updates a year. With all the problems with the server consolidation, it maybe later than middle of May.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Mar 09 2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Thundertrain is offline Silently Judging Your Spelling and Grammar
    I would be more interested to hear how things are progressing with all the data center issues. I have to believe that if they had good news, they would tell us, so I find it likely that they're still working but don't have anything of value to report. Bummer.

Its been too long since Turbine actually spoke about upcoming content for the game, and created a bit of enthusiasm and excitement for it - a new raid is around the corner, as is the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and yet Turbine are just sitting there silently, occasionally muttering about the data centre and breaking promises about the move to Amsterdam.

What they need to do, to actually get people talking about the game again, and re-energise the playerbase, is to start talking about the cool new things to come - rather than just relying on MoL as the only interesting member of the dev team, they should ask other devs to talk about upcoming landscape, or the challenges of making a raid, or the way in which the epic story has evolved (ok, you'll need MoL for that one), the things they love about the game (although if the answers are all in Eriador, that won't be particularly encouraging!) - just talking to the community.

Although there is a community manager, I struggle to figure out what Frelorn is doing every day, as he certainly isn't spending his time interacting with the community in the way that a community manager should. Its clear to see that MoL enjoys talking to the community about the game, including the content he has produced - but surely Frelorn should be interacting in a similar way, but to a greater extent due to his formal role?

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is that Turbine need to be more communicative - they don't need to give us spoilers about upcoming content, nor give us an exact release date - but by giving a rough idea when U18 might be released, by teasing what's coming up and looking back at the existing game, or by simply engaging with the community (if the devs can't be spared, then at least Frelorn should be able to - on the forums, not just on the weekly stream), they can start to engender enthusiasm for LOTRO once again, and give the community something to look forward to in LOTRO this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I doubt we will get Update 18 before middle of May. It is early for them to be discussing Update 18. I am expecting to start hearing about it in April perhaps a month from now.

Update 16 - May 4, 2015

Turbine is doing two major updates a year. With all the problems with the server consolidation, it maybe later than middle of May.
    Well I'll still be hoping for an eta on the information through Mars

Quote Originally Posted by Witch0King View Post
    Well I'll still be hoping for an eta on the information through Mars
    I don't think they can really afford to wait longer than that, given how bored their player base is getting - not just for content, but for someone to actually acknowledge that the game is still living beyond the seemingly unsolvable issues of the data centre.

The quiet is coming as we are in between updates, which gives me the chance to work on some web related things as well as prep for Update 18. When we have more news about the server work, we will of course share it. Right now the work progresses as we continue to gather date and work with some individual ISP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    The quiet is coming as we are in between updates, which gives me the chance to work on some web related things as well as prep for Update 18. When we have more news about the server work, we will of course share it. Right now the work progresses as we continue to gather date and work with some individual ISP's.
    While its good to hear this, I still think it would be a good idea for a greater level of engagement with the community at times when there isn't much to do in the game - conversely, the times when an update is just out is the time when we need community engagement the least, because there's finally something new in the game.

Dev diaries which appeared long in advance in the past (I remember fondly one by a dev called TheLidlessEye iirc) about the challenges of the landscape that they faced, and the exciting things involved in their job, would help to tide the player base over until there's actually something concrete to tell us about the next year in LOTRO - and given the sparse nature of Vyvyanne's Producer's Letter, this has never been more necessary, as its getting harder and harder for me to convince my kinnies to return for each update, as enthusiasm and promotion for upcoming updates seem to be lacking (although, I would argue, the content in parts is as good as ever) - and if Turbine doesn't make clear how much it wants people to play the game, how am I to convince my kinnies to return?

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    Its been too long since Turbine actually spoke about upcoming content for the game, and created a bit of enthusiasm and excitement for it - a new raid is around the corner, as is the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and yet Turbine are just sitting there silently, occasionally muttering about the data centre and breaking promises about the move to Amsterdam.

What they need to do, to actually get people talking about the game again, and re-energise the playerbase, is to start talking about the cool new things to come - rather than just relying on MoL as the only interesting member of the dev team, they should ask other devs to talk about upcoming landscape, or the challenges of making a raid, or the way in which the epic story has evolved (ok, you'll need MoL for that one), the things they love about the game (although if the answers are all in Eriador, that won't be particularly encouraging!) - just talking to the community.

Although there is a community manager, I struggle to figure out what Frelorn is doing every day, as he certainly isn't spending his time interacting with the community in the way that a community manager should. Its clear to see that MoL enjoys talking to the community about the game, including the content he has produced - but surely Frelorn should be interacting in a similar way, but to a greater extent due to his formal role?

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is that Turbine need to be more communicative - they don't need to give us spoilers about upcoming content, nor give us an exact release date - but by giving a rough idea when U18 might be released, by teasing what's coming up and looking back at the existing game, or by simply engaging with the community (if the devs can't be spared, then at least Frelorn should be able to - on the forums, not just on the weekly stream), they can start to engender enthusiasm for LOTRO once again, and give the community something to look forward to in LOTRO this year.
    Well said.

From what I have seen over the years since I started LotRO, it is clear to me that they have always lacked in terms of organised lasting and effective promotion. While they certainly did many things in older days, such as player contests (which to an extent work as promotion), advertisements (which were seen very often and on numerous sites when free to play was launched), and trailers, they were passing. There are ways and sources where they could/can build up a strong presentation for the game and see the fruits that these would doubtless bear.

And when it comes to a game like this, the first and only mmorpg based on the world of Tolkien, there is hardly any lack of ideas. The story and lore, these things alone, are enough to generate content (as in promotional content such as talks, screenshots, interviews, and more) and enthusiasm, not only for new players but for the loyal community too, for years, if not throughout all the course of LotRO's time. The game is blessed with probably the strongest and most luring IP of all time, and yet, there is much more that they could do to take advantage of that in a good way and attract many more new players, and also keep the existing stable community with a higher enthusiasm (which then could be reflected both in-game and out of it such as here on the forums).

Have talks about the story, about the lore, about the epic storyline, and share those with the community and elsewhere. Take professional looking screenshots and share them; there are many sources whereon to post them and attract many views. Do contests again so that players create LotRO videos which then they post in their channels and so their subscribers see. There is much to do.

I will not go into further detail for this, as I want to write a dedicated thread for this topic in after days when I have the spare time for it, but for now, here is just an example for readers to compare.

Look at how this game promotes its content and story: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldofWarcraft/videos

in contrast with LotRO: https://www.youtube.com/user/lordoftherings/videos

Now do not mistake me; I love LotRO and it is the only game I play. But there is room for improvement on many things, including an organized strategy of promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post

Update 16 - May 4, 2015

And, don't forget, LOTRO was launched on 24 April 2007 -- i.e. the Anniversary celebration is coming up!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    And, don't forget, LOTRO was launched on 24 April 2007 -- i.e. the Anniversary celebration is coming up!
    I don't think this takes many man hours, all they have to do is slap a skin on a horse, add another character portrait and box of rewards, and turn festival on

Frelorn, can you, please, to announce the next events and festivals schedule? The old one only covered to january and we are now in march...

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Any comments on when we should expect more information about festivals or update announcements ? I am also a bit curious; by web related, you mean the forums in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Olgomil View Post
    Frelorn, can you, please, to announce the next events and festivals schedule? The old one only covered to january and we are now in march...

Sergio :-)
    I'd like this too

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Baritone View Post
    I don't think this takes many man hours, all they have to do is slap a skin on a horse, add another character portrait and box of rewards, and turn festival on
    I wish they would do more new things though. The last few festivals have been recycled horses with just a slightly different pattern and/or color, and very few new cosmetics. Laila's is completely dead, and I believe it's developer got canned, so cosmetics are probably not on their high priority list....

But watch, the Anniversary festival will probably see a new horse, a new caprison.... and if we are lucky we get either a tunic or a robe and maybe a dress. I want options, more cosmetics, different horses, a full set of cosmetics that are once again unique and worth getting. I think I still have a bunch of festival items from last years festival.

And I wonder how the envelop hunting is going to go now that we crammed on to 10 servers.....
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Coming from a 20-year career in IT, if IT doesn't know exactly how to fix it (yet), the common solution is: Well.... ehm, lets restart that server and see if it fixes itself.

With these "maintenance restarts" it seems that Turbine is doing exactly that.....
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Coming from a 20-year career in IT, if IT doesn't know exactly how to fix it (yet), the common solution is: Well.... ehm, lets restart that server and see if it fixes itself.

With these "maintenance restarts" it seems that Turbine is doing exactly that.....
    Yup, came to same conclusion - they have no idea how to fix it. Sadly, performance prior to the merge was halfway decent, post merge has been a complete disaster. Until they fix the current issues, I don't foresee any content added to the game. So in that case, it's try to play an unplayable game or move on to something else until it's fixed. It is refreshing playing another game that doesn't lag, has playable PvP, smooth gameplay, better animations, you name it! Still love LOTRO, but geesh, it's getting unbearable to play when there are better games out there.

Coming from a 20-year career in IT, if IT doesn't know exactly how to fix it (yet), the common solution is: Well.... ehm, lets restart that server and see if it fixes itself.....
    What's worse is when "it" starts working again, and you haven't touched the code or restarted the server (or service).

As stated before we upgraded may different systems when we did this move, so the performance issues you are reporting are coming from a number of different areas. There fore there will be several fixes involved here, not just one fix to rule them all.

The maintenance restarts are to prevent the login error that gave the "server full message" we believe we have a fix that is being tested internally now and will require a patch to fix on live. Until we are fully through testing on that and patch we will continue the restarts to keep the error from occurring.

Additionally we are working on some performance improvements that we hope will help with the loading and lag issues in the MT, Pelennor and PvMP areas. These are also in development and internal testing and we hope to have them out on Bullroarer along with U18 content for testing soon.

The ISP issues are something we have to work through with other companies, and due to that is not something I can give timelines on but we are in daily conversations with them as we pass along data for them to analyze and adjust accordingly.

This is not a matter of just a switch somewhere someone forgot to flip, this is a matter of adjusting code that is over 9 years old from the Operating system it was built on to a new one, hardware it was built for to newer hardware, and internet routes that had been set in place to new ones. There are many kinks to work out along the way. Some of the changes will occur in the background, such as the ISP corrections without us knowing, and the client side ones have to go though the full patch/ update process before they can go live and we are getting through that as quickly as we can. We just dont have anything to show you on that yet, but as soon as we do, we will let you know.

Thank you,
    Vyvyanne

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne View Post
    As stated before we upgraded may different systems when we did this move, so the performance issues you are reporting are coming from a number of different areas. There fore there will be several fixes involved here, not just one fix to rule them all.

[...]
    I see what you did there : )

And thank you for the update. Though it is likely very different, I have for the past months been working on a LotRO related website and because of that I have an insight as to how complicated coding is, or can be, and how time consuming a lot of things are. I wish you all had more staff available like in older days so that things would go more smoothly perhaps and swifter too. Alas.
    Last edited by Erennor; Mar 09 2016 at 05:17 PM.

Your IT career would not be based in programming then but support?
    My 30 years experience with IT has 25 as a programmer.
    This is unlikely.

Alter a server-side issue or even sort out ISP connectivity and restart... that makes sense. What they are doing is not "turn your printer off and on again". The fact that a "maintenance update" involved updates to client suggests than connectivity issues are being rectified rather than 'core game' changes - i.e. gateway and path changes to work with biggest ISPs?

The 'restart to fix' solution they tried at the beginning... I've sometimes had to restart begin with the 24/7 as restarting some components doesn't work (caching we think).
    But they have said they are working with ISPs - I've said before this is a major thing. I can play with 60-300 fps but a person in the same town with same spec pc might get 20-60. A lot of the issues are based upon the change of location and our ISPs are sometimes going to the new target in a non-optimised way.

Good luck all that still have problems - I'm sure it will come sooner rather than later

22. Mar 09 2016, 08:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Translation:

The servers are fu(k3d, and we don't know how to figure out the codebase.
    well said... and thats why they keep it quiet around

i dont know what they are trying, i stopped care about ... but if i tried to get into game, tried open lotro store today... it closed my client on my lvl50 alt - same is happening if i try to travel between regions, client autoclosing... game unplayable, all those chit chats around are useless, if they cant fix that 2months

its just saying how low Turbine is, in skills or planning or whatever, and sure, thx for amsterdam scam aswell

The maintenance restarts are to prevent the login error that gave the "server full message" we believe we have a fix that is being tested internally now and will require a patch to fix on live. Until we are fully through testing on that and patch we will continue the restarts to keep the error from occurring.

Additionally we are working on some performance improvements that we hope will help with the loading and lag issues in the MT, Pelennor and PvMP areas. These are also in development and internal testing and we hope to have them out on Bullroarer along with U18 content for testing soon.

The ISP issues are something we have to work through with other companies, and due to that is not something I can give timelines on but we are in daily conversations with them as we pass along data for them to analyze and adjust accordingly.

This is not a matter of just a switch somewhere someone forgot to flip, this is a matter of adjusting code that is over 9 years old from the Operating system it was built on to a new one, hardware it was built for to newer hardware, and internet routes that had been set in place to new ones. There are many kinks to work out along the way. Some of the changes will occur in the background, such as the ISP corrections without us knowing, and the client side ones have to go though the full patch/ update process before they can go live and we are getting through that as quickly as we can. We just dont have anything to show you on that yet, but as soon as we do, we will let you know.

Thank you,
    Vyvyanne
    Thanks Vyvyanne.
    Somehow I'm dreaming of x64 and multi-core support and that, although I'm 99% sure it isn't that what's happening.
    Last edited by JFDCamara; Mar 10 2016 at 08:02 AM.

Thank you,
    Vyvyanne
    Thanks Vyvyanne, I recognise this is an equally frustrating time for you and all the Turbine staff. I won't lie the lag is horrible and a real downer - I am not PVMPing as much as before BUT once things are fixed (crosses all digits) I will be back again at full strength. Til then the alts are getting a workout that has been long needed. :-)

I understand why you are reluctant to announce what is being worked on - damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you discuss and the timeline needs to be adjusted or the fix doesn't pan out people will scream 'but you promised', if you don't say anything other people will scream 'why don't you tell us what you are working on???'. That isn't aimed at the OP or any other individual, it is just the impression one gets overall from the forums. There are, of course, those in the middle who motor on regardless. :-)
    'I'm a hunter, I have all the defensive capability of a wet dishrag' - Lothhil

Thank you,
    Vyvyanne
    Whilst your update is appreciated, you as the exec producer should be aspiring to this level & frequency of communication:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default...14&find=unread

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast