We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Re: Middle-Earth Quiz!!

gelmir(sp) was mutliated and his brother charged the field.

which of the sons of feanor still lives?
    Tarkhis 65 chm, Trelluras 65 lm, Tamilyn 65 hnt, Brellik 65 Cap, Kassidy 63 Bur, Amida 65 min, Bregen 65 Grd, Tregen 65 Rk, Aegloring 65 Ward, Troyo 48 hunter
    "From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring"

Maglor. What did he do with the Silmaril once he stole it?
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

cast it into the sea in despair, where it is lost to this day..

Which of Tolkien's Elf's features in both Sil and LoTR, but was killed in the preceding work?

I believe that was Glorfindel.

If I'm right:

What was Bilbo's real name before being anglicised and barring any translation into modern languages? And in what language was his true name formed?
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Yeah, twas Glorfindel..

Wow; thats quite a question, it's stumped me..

Guess: Trick question! It was always Bilbo.

No idea really.

Ah ha.. A bit of digging and I believe I've found your answer: Bilba, and the language was the ancestor of the common speech - the language used by the Rohirrim, the Men of Dale and Esgaroth that the Hobbit's picked up before crossing into Eriador, where they quickly picked up the Westron tongue, but held certain words peculiar to themselves.

Anyway, I hope that was the answer you were looking for, and to keep the ball rolling..

Who forever rued the day he taught a certain someone about the making of arms? And who was that certain someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    I believe that was Glorfindel.

If I'm right:

What was Bilbo's real name before being anglicised and barring any translation into modern languages? And in what language was his true name formed?
    Well, Tolkein intimated (for dramatic reasons) that the stories he wrote were translated from a book called "Red Book of the Westmarch". He translated them from Westron to English and Bilbo's name in Westron was Bilba Labingi.

I'll wait to see if I'm right before I ask a question

EDIT: Man, I seem to be pretty good at getting beaten out by a minute or two
    Last edited by Womdon; Feb 26 2008 at 09:25 AM.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

Haha, you did very well though! Your definitely right about the Labingi, being closely connected to Common Speech labin "a bag"... Well done anyway that was a toughie...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonwah View Post

Who forever rued the day he taught a certain someone about the making of arms? And who was that certain someone?

Is the answer Aule, who forever rued teaching his Maiar Sauron (before he went over to the dark side) in the arts of crafting metal?
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

I think it's probably Aule, but if not, what about Celembrimbor, who made the Three Rings? He would regret working with Sauron on the others...
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

While we're waiting for this to get settled...

New Question(s): What is the Elvish name for Orcs? Also, what is the Orcish name for a Man of Gondor (stolen from Elvish)?
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Nope, you were both wrong about Feanor and Celebrimbor.. And the Elvish for orc is Yrch, that's easy :P However I'm not much versed in the Black Speech.. :S

The name is Tark.

Who said: "Power to defy our enemy is not in him, unless it is in the earth itself," or something like that?
    [color=gray][i]The bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. [size=3][color=gold]"Elendil!"[/size][/color] he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"[/i][/color]

Wasn't it Gandalf? when explaining at the council why they could not give the ring to Tom to protect.

Assuming Im right: What are Pippin and (secretly) Samwise disappointed in missing out on when they cut cross-country to make for crickhollow?
    [center][b][url=http://my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/beornling/]Beornling Skinchanger[/url][/b] - Man - [b][color=brown]Bear Brethren and Descendent of Mighty Beorn![/color][/b] - Defender of Vales and Lover of Ales - [b][color=orange]Nimrodel[/color][/b]
    [color=red][b]Beornbitezu[/b] - Warg -[/color] [b][color=brown]Sad that bears attack in the moors[/color][/b] - Old hotspot meteor warg - [b][color=orange]Elendilmir[/color][/b][/center]
    [center][color=red][b]Drunkenaussie[/b] - Reaver -[/color] [b][color=brown]Forever to bear the white hand helm[/color][/b] - Drunkenaussie Beornandbred - [b][color=orange]Elendilmir[/color][/b][/center]
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100000f64c0/signature.png]Drunkenaussie[/charsig][/center]

Nope, it wasn't Gandalf.

They are disappointed in missing the beer from a certain inn or tavern the name of which escapes me.
    [color=gray][i]The bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. [size=3][color=gold]"Elendil!"[/size][/color] he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"[/i][/color]

Elrond then.

your right re the beer, but you gotta name it hehe
    [center][b][url=http://my.lotro.com/character/nimrodel/beornling/]Beornling Skinchanger[/url][/b] - Man - [b][color=brown]Bear Brethren and Descendent of Mighty Beorn![/color][/b] - Defender of Vales and Lover of Ales - [b][color=orange]Nimrodel[/color][/b]
    [color=red][b]Beornbitezu[/b] - Warg -[/color] [b][color=brown]Sad that bears attack in the moors[/color][/b] - Old hotspot meteor warg - [b][color=orange]Elendilmir[/color][/b][/center]
    [center][color=red][b]Drunkenaussie[/b] - Reaver -[/color] [b][color=brown]Forever to bear the white hand helm[/color][/b] - Drunkenaussie Beornandbred - [b][color=orange]Elendilmir[/color][/b][/center]
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100000f64c0/signature.png]Drunkenaussie[/charsig][/center]

nope, not Elrond either. Sorry.

Hmm... I'm too lazy to look in my book. I'll give someone else a chance to look it up until I decide to go do it myself.

Didn't they want to steal some of Farmer Maggots mushrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebee View Post
    Didn't they want to steal some of Farmer Maggots mushrooms?
    Perhaps they did in the movie... in the book, Farmer Maggot's wife in fact gave Frodo a basket of mushrooms as a gift.

The Golden Perch is the inn... which Pippin describes as being famous for____?

Edit: LA, I believe the answer to yours is Glorfindel.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Sorry, not Glorfindel either.

Darn it! I was thinking I could just start naming random inns of the Shire until I guessed it. I started typing all I could think of into a reply, but all I had was:

The Green Dragon
    The Golden Perch
    The Bird and Baby

Then I thought, there must be at least five more and I can't even remember them. I might as well just not post these few inns.

Now I wish I had.

Nice question!

I think it was Galdor, Cirdan's rep on the council.

What was the name of the goblin that mutilated Thror and what war did this act spark?
    Tarkhis 65 chm, Trelluras 65 lm, Tamilyn 65 hnt, Brellik 65 Cap, Kassidy 63 Bur, Amida 65 min, Bregen 65 Grd, Tregen 65 Rk, Aegloring 65 Ward, Troyo 48 hunter
    "From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring"

Quote Originally Posted by tarkhis View Post
    I think it was Galdor, Cirdan's rep on the council.

What was the name of the goblin that mutilated Thror and what war did this act spark?
    That would be Azog, and that sparked the War of Dwarves and Orcs.

What was Azog's son's name, and who killed him?

His son was Bolg, killed by Beorn in the Battle of Five Armies.

In what year (Third Age) did the Council of Elrond take place?

Edit: Reply no. 100! Hooray...
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast