We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kradan View Post
    I've been playing for years as Kaden, but I'm looking at changing servers, meaning I'm going to loose my name :-(

I've got a History for my Character though, and I'd like to put some of that into my name....I don't got a clue what I'm doing, perhaps someone can help with translations? Some of my ideas..

Wanderer from the Mists

Mist Wanderer

Old Man of the Mists

Mist Walker

Or even Lonely Wanderer....

How could I come up with something that sound lore appropriate for a Male Captain?
    Wanderer from the Mists: Randir uin Hîth

Mist Wanderer: Híthrandir

Old Man of the Mists: Híthiorbenn, Híthiordir, Hithbrúmbenn, Hithbrúndir

Mist Walker: Híthbadanir

Lonely Wanderer: Erebrandir

Thanks Berephon! I'm partial to Hithrandir, but I'm afraid a Mod will see that as being to similar to Mithrandir and make me change it......otherwise I may go with Hithbrundir though not sure if I can get that type of u in the game....Would a Mod get at me for Hithrandir? ^_^ Appreciate the help!
    Main: Kraden Kidtrell
    "The Past Is What Defines You, But The Future Is Yet To Be Written."

Quote Originally Posted by Kradan View Post
    Thanks Berephon! I'm partial to Hithrandir, but I'm afraid a Mod will see that as being to similar to Mithrandir and make me change it......otherwise I may go with Hithbrundir though not sure if I can get that type of u in the game....Would a Mod get at me for Hithrandir? ^_^ Appreciate the help!
    Highly doubtful, unless another player reports it. At that point, who knows?

As for Hithbrúndir, no you can't use diacritics in our naming engine, so just make it Hithbrundir.

Hey Berephon, I've decided to create some new alts on another server just for Roleplay purposes. Any chance you could translate some names in both Sindar and Rohirric?

Such as: Hunter of Winters Forest
    Wanderer of the Frozen Woods
    Tracker of Winters Beasts (Beasts of Winter?)

Well, you get the general theme. If there's any names you'd suggest with a theme of Winter/Cold/Frost/etc, I'd like to hear them!

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Does the name "Laranstor" have any meaning to it? Random name generator gave it to me, but hey you never know...
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by RLhunterman View Post
    Hey Berephon, I've decided to create some new alts on another server just for Roleplay purposes. Any chance you could translate some names in both Sindar and Rohirric?

Such as: Hunter of Winters Forest
    Wanderer of the Frozen Woods
    Tracker of Winters Beasts (Beasts of Winter?)

Well, you get the general theme. If there's any names you'd suggest with a theme of Winter/Cold/Frost/etc, I'd like to hear them!

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Does the name "Laranstor" have any meaning to it? Random name generator gave it to me, but hey you never know...
    These are going to end up huge in Sindarin. As for Rohirric, I could give you some translations, but they wouldn't really be applicable for people (people generally use Anglo-Saxon personal names, for which I don't have any translation source...just lists of Anglo-Saxon names.)

For reference purpose, which generator did Laranstor come from (while the Elf generator sometimes yields somethign translatable, not always)? The rules are simply too complex, so our generator uses combinations of syllables intended to sound legit. To note, in Sindarin, Laranstor does not mean anything.

The other generators definitely don't yield translatable names.

Anyway, on to your translations:

Hunter of Winter's Forest: (Sindarin) Rhîlâtfaron, Rhîlâtferedir, Rhîdorfaron, Rhîdorferedir, Rhîdawarfaron, Rhîdawarferedir, (Rohirric) Drafenwinterlikakett, Drafenwinterlikacholt, Drafenwinterlikakwudu, Drafenwinterlikakan...er, you can see the futility of that? There are numerous online lists of Anglo-Saxon names, however. I would suggest referencing those for Rohirrim.

Wanderer of Frozen Woods (as there is no Sindarin for frozen, modifying to Woods of Ice): Helegerydhrandir, Heleglâdrandir, Gochelerydhrandir, Gochellâdrandir

Tracker (Hunter) of Winter's Beasts: Rhîlavanfaron, Rhîlavanferedir

As you can see, it's best to keep your meanings to two major words (Winter's Forest, Hunter of the Winter, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    These are going to end up huge in Sindarin. As for Rohirric, I could give you some translations, but they wouldn't really be applicable for people (people generally use Anglo-Saxon personal names, for which I don't have any translation source...just lists of Anglo-Saxon names.)

For reference purpose, which generator did Laranstor come from (while the Elf generator sometimes yields somethign translatable, not always)? The rules are simply too complex, so our generator uses combinations of syllables intended to sound legit. To note, in Sindarin, Laranstor does not mean anything.

The other generators definitely don't yield translatable names.

Anyway, on to your translations:

Hunter of Winter's Forest: (Sindarin) Rhîlâtfaron, Rhîlâtferedir, Rhîdorfaron, Rhîdorferedir, Rhîdawarfaron, Rhîdawarferedir, (Rohirric) Drafenwinterlikakett, Drafenwinterlikacholt, Drafenwinterlikakwudu, Drafenwinterlikakan...er, you can see the futility of that? There are numerous online lists of Anglo-Saxon names, however. I would suggest referencing those for Rohirrim.

Wanderer of Frozen Woods (as there is no Sindarin for frozen, modifying to Woods of Ice): Helegerydhrandir, Heleglâdrandir, Gochelerydhrandir, Gochellâdrandir

Tracker (Hunter) of Winter's Beasts: Rhîlavanfaron, Rhîlavanferedir

As you can see, it's best to keep your meanings to two major words (Winter's Forest, Hunter of the Winter, etc)
    Thanks for the response, and translations! I've always had a "Frost" theme on character surnames (Frosthelm, Frozenvoice, Frostbow, etc) and was hoping I might glean some translated names following the same theme. Perhaps you might even come up with some names based on the surnames I just gave you.

As for Laranstor, I got it from the random name generator at character creation. He's an Elf of Lindon. I just used the RNG as I didn't plan on playing him much (he's a guardian, and I'm not a huge fan of playing tanks) but recently started playing him quite a bit since our kinship formed a "sub-kin" which utilizes the XP Disabler (thank you LOTRO!) to level our new alts and then cap them at the Shadows of Angmar cap. We're basically trying to have a kin which replicates SoA as closely as possible. (You'd be welcome to join us Berephon. )
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34