We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Re: I Remember When...

I remember feeling that the last bridge was waaaaaaaaaay on the very edge of civilization.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Patience is offline Senior Community Manager, Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Forjo View Post
    I remember last year when Turbine posted the April Fools joke about the Battle of Amon Hen (chicken raid against the Balrog) a day early and Patience deleted my post and sent me a message saying "you saw nothing!".

Fun times.

-Forjo
    I remember panicking when Amon Hen accidentally went live for a few minutes a little early, and PM'ing everyone who'd posted about it, and hoping none had taken screenshots.
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]“Behold the Chinchillas! They ride to war!”[/COLOR][/B]

...playing Hi/Lo at the Pony...before 'unintended' gameplay could get me banned.

Ain't much wrong with gambling!

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    I remember panicking when Amon Hen accidentally went live for a few minutes a little early, and PM'ing everyone who'd posted about it, and hoping none had taken screenshots.
    I'm laughing so hard!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

What, like these?

-Forjo
    Forjo Atinxan - Elven Guardian, Forjjo Atinxan - Hobbit Minstrel, Forjorin Atinxan - Dwarven Champion, Forjoros Atinxan - Human Captain
    Amistad del Otro, A Casual Arkenstone Kinship - 2 Chalk Street, Derndelf, Shire Homesteads
    See the world - play casually! Now Recruiting! | Support Veterancy!

Patience is offline Senior Community Manager, Turbine, Inc.

rofl... a year later and it still cracks me up. Do you remember the launcher ad for it, that said "Cluck here"?

One of my favorite lines: New PvMP Rank - Colonel!
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]“Behold the Chinchillas! They ride to war!”[/COLOR][/B]

rofl... a year later and it still cracks me up. Do you remember the launcher ad for it, that said "Cluck here"?

NO!!! I missed both of those! Wow! I feel bad now.

Hey, I just realized that both of your April Fools events involved chickens...

Hmmm...

-Forjo
    Forjo Atinxan - Elven Guardian, Forjjo Atinxan - Hobbit Minstrel, Forjorin Atinxan - Dwarven Champion, Forjoros Atinxan - Human Captain
    Amistad del Otro, A Casual Arkenstone Kinship - 2 Chalk Street, Derndelf, Shire Homesteads
    See the world - play casually! Now Recruiting! | Support Veterancy!

I remember running out of Little Delving and expecting the Shire to be relatively small, and getting completely lost. I was somewhere around Frogmorton when I decided I'd better go back, but I had no idea where I'd come from.

Oh good lord I remember that! ROFL!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catster View Post
    I remember running out of Little Delving and expecting the Shire to be relatively small, and getting completely lost. I was somewhere around Frogmorton when I decided I'd better go back, but I had no idea where I'd come from.
    Ooooooh, I remember thinking how cool it was when that Hobbit talked about him having an adventure from traveling to FrogMorton!

Playing at 2 FPS in Staddle on an Ati X1300 with 512 MB of DDR2 RAM on the system...

Hitting 50, and then realized how much more of the game opened up (not like 60 in Moria, LOL)...

Hitting 60, then realized what long of a grind I had to get a first age weapon...
    Bephwyn - 60 Loremaster
    Ring Guard of Rivendell
    Elendilmir *jingle* *jangle*

i remember when my LM's pet bear got invited to more groups than he did.

when i got skybreakers scale for my crit staff....and only having 25% to land it....and it landing.

battling with goldfarmers on goldfarmers hill in angmar.

duo'ing all of goblin town with my LM & a hunter friend. and again with a LM friend.

the first time i saw erid luin after the starter instance and feeling like i had just come home.

going to the 'moors for the first time, and noticing the mobs named after AC servers. <3

beyond that, i remember all the friends i've made that have moved on or quit or whatever.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000254fd/01007/signature.png]Ikari[/charsig]

OMG I nearly forgot about all that last year. Ah memories ...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000003ded/signature.png]Supra[/charsig]

It's probably been posted before but I just have to say there's nothing I miss more than the duo of Closed Beta Old Forest and the Ghost Bear. It was a rare combination, a jump-10-feet-into-the-air experience that I have never had before or since.
    Last edited by teenk; Apr 06 2009 at 05:39 AM.

... I remember sneaking into the Trollshaws for ore and realizing that I'd forgotten to make sure it was daytime - as a huge troll lumbered merrily into view. That startle/panic/run!/sheer joy moment that makes games great.

... I remember doing the Great Barrows/Tom Bombadil book instance for the first time and leaving the Great Barrows in joyful tears at the sheer brilliant intensity of the experience.

... I remember the first time with the Balrog and looking over and over at the chains and wondering if they were going to hold...

... I remember Legolas and his insistence on running into the thick of things even though everyone in my group kept entreating him to NOT aggro anything else...

... I remember the first time I saw a rainbow in the Shire.

Ghost Bear

The REAL Old Forest that changed with updates.
    (It was built to be changeable - it should be used that way again )

Our Greatest Find - first time discovering quests may have a different solution, a puzzle/thinking/Aha! solution rather than brute force. (they nerfed it after more than a year and took out the way around. You should have left it Turbine, it served the right purpose as it was.) I was one of the first to discover this alternate path, and I am still convinced it was placed there by design and intent.

Retake Weathertop - with an on-level group... First time sitting back and saying "Wow (or other choice of expletives), now THAT was cool!!!"
    Whitestar Rangers : Meneldor : 7
    Four Horse men of the aPUGalypse : Landroval : 6
    And First of All, Badfinn : Meneldor : One of the Few Remaining Male Weavers.

April of 2007 I had an ancient PC with a 5200 128 mb card and one gig of ram with a dirt cheap lcd monitor.

From launch until the middle of October I played LOTRO on the lowest settings possible. The sky was one color and the water was just a sheet of white. And the frame rate was walk a step, pause, walk a step, pause....

No grass, no shadows, nothing. It was like playing Elder Scrolls Daggerfall from the mid ninties.

Then one day due to changes in my 401k I recieved $3000 and bought a $1600 gaming rig with a kick butt high res monitor.

When the UPS guy(bless his soul!) delivered it, I installed the game, set everything on Ultra High and I was totally blown away.

There were clouds in the sky, the sun reflected off of my lens, I could hear the bugs buzzing by and the wind blowing. And the water could take up a whole thread just by talking about it! And no stuttering framerate!

And the stitches on my clothing!

October 2007, I'll never forget it.

Downloading the open-beta and being level 5, fresh out of the intro-instance, in my first ever MMORPG, and having my level 15 friend, an MMORPG veteren, drag my butt into the Barrow Downs. Talk about getting owned!

...I could move.

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLass01 View Post
    I remember:

seeing Bag End for the 1st time.
    This still remains one of my most favorite memories and one of the best "remember when" moments for me. Tied now only by my first time in Caras Galadhon. I'm hoping for a three-way tie with Minas Tirith.
    "Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000a5550/01001/signature.png]Bercalin[/charsig]

Hmmm let me see. I remember a lot of things from the LOTRO days of old since I've been playing since the open beta, but I'll try not to repeat too many of the things people have already reminisced about:

• I remember running into the North Downs as a lowbie during open beta in hopes of finding Tom Bombadil (after all, he is the reason I got interested in this game...I saw a video on IGN before this game was released of Tom Bombadil's house) then encountering creepy ruins in Fornost and purple mobs and thinking...this can't be right...
    • I remember playing my lute on the Combe boardwalk before they implemented ABC music and making a duo with another lute player. That just blew me away, I was instantly snagged.
    • I remember when Captains used to summon level 3's into the Moors before they barred them from summoning lowbies into high level areas.
    • I remember joining the kinship that I'm still in today a couple days after creating my first character on live.
    • I remember getting a necklace called "Necklace of The Greenfields" on my very first character from a random drop off of a brigand in some ruins on the fields west of Bree. I still have this in my vault.
    • I remember the old hunter animations, and the new ones feeling so wierd and fluid.
    • I remember when Moria only existed in speculation and item names! e.g. "Shield of Moria"
    • I remember doing the quest "The Vigil" in Staddle and it being my very first fellowship quest. So much fun.
    • I remember when there was no penalty for falling (well, I think I remember this).
    • I remember the chair trains, and me and my friends' epic chair adventure through Middle Earth.
    • I remember when there was no Old Forest map.
    • I remember when the Auroches in the North Downs were elite. They should never have changed them to signature, if you ask me.

I have a ton more nostalgic tidbits I'm sure, but don't really remember any more right now. I'll post later when some more come to mind.

Great thread, btw.
    Brandywine Server ~Officer, The Dunedain Rangers
    Thruindor (R5), lvl 57 Man, Hunter Thranadir (R5), lvl 60 Elven LM
    Holagar, lvl 60 Hobbit Minstrel Theoafirith (R3), lvl 60 Man Burgler Elarandir, lvl 60 Man Guardian Celegor, lvl 60 Elven Warden

...there was NO auction house and each level we would run to the armor and weapon brokers to see if new armor was available=)

I remember back in Alpha, when this game ran better and with more uptime than it has for the past few weeks.
    Sorry, Am a bit grumpy ATM
    The Debil made me post this.

I remember when 500 players were desperately scrambling to kill the 3 wolves that spawned in Archet to complete that first quest.

I remember when killing enough dwarfs in Ered Luin would give you the "Dwarf Tosser" title.

I remember when grey "vendor trash" weapons and armour were actually "upgrades".

I remember when I would quest up hill both ways in 4 feet of snow (in July) while barefoot
    'Cure your baldness with needles of ink stabbing you in your brain.' - Foamy The Squirrel
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000102900/01008/signature.png]Brackenwulf[/charsig]

I remember running my level 13 dwarf champion to Angmar in open beta. I'd never played the game before, didn't have any maps...but I knew exactly what was around every bend, and down every road from my knowledge of Middle-earth.

"The road goes ever on and on..."

This was when I made the decision to do a lifetime subscription. Turbine had nailed Middle-earth.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast