We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Grond

(Heard there's some new runes and stuff. Had to pop back. )

With Eastern Gondor came Osgiliath, and with Osgiliath, we got to see one of the greatest tools of war in Middle-earth. Or at least one of the greatest during the Third Age: Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld.

It's certainly a sight to see, even before you realize it's adorned by numerous runes. Fitting, given that Tolkien mentions how Orcs, too, had their own variant of them, just like Rohirrim, and how "on (Grond) spells of ruin lay."
    Turbine, however, doesn't seem to have gone through the trouble they did with Rohirrim's letters, for these are the familiar shapes of Angerthas Moria. Despite what they may at first seem, they're not gibberish, either, but the Black Speech of Mordor, the same as the Ring Inscription.
    But not only are the wheels adorned: also the wooden beams bear runes.

Ufur skaizub Goth Mordorob
    (Uf-ur skai-z-ub goth Mordor-ob)

"Frightening-for gah-plural suffix-future suffix Lord Mordor-of"
    Sadly, there seems to be a typo here: skai is Black Speech for the exclamation "gah!", but skoi is Black Speech for a "any flying non-stinging insect". -Z is the plural suffix for words ending in a vowel, -ub is the future suffix. An argument could be made that the certh for A in Angerthas Moria would instead stand for O in Orcish Runes, though, but it would be problematic with the already present O.
    "For frightening the will-be-insects, Lord of Mordor" sounds much more plausible. For that is what the Free Peoples would've been, had Sauron won the war, and how his people viewed them: insects without the ability to even sting.

Kul durbûrz & narpuzgûrz
    (Kul durb-ûrz & nar-puzg-ûrz)
    This bit is a bit hidden, found on the underside of the bars, but it's also the most straightforward of the inscriptions on Grond.
    "Is strong/might-adjectival suffix & not-stop-adjectival suffix" =
    "I am powerful/mighty & unstoppable"

Nar shoraz shailutatizish
    (Nar shora-z)
    “Not ?+ plural ???"
    Curiously, they've used a certh for N that is attested as solely used by Dwarves, for Khuzdul. Shora, unfortunately, isn't a Black Speech word, but 'shara', human man, is. Plural of that would be 'sharaz'. The last part isn't as clear, and despite my attempts, I've so far failed to decode it. The sentence structure would suggest it's a modifier for 'shoraz'.

Kul Grond drndgh ronkob
    (Kul Grond drndgh ronk-ob)
    Seems like someone typoed that third word there: drndgh is gibberish, but changing that nd-rune for â-rune, we get drâgh, hammer. Ronkob also incorporates the -ob suffix, the same as in Mordorob on the wheels, even if the certh for B seems to clip off on the frontmost piece.
    So this?
    "Is Grond hammer pit-of" =
    "I am Grond, hammer of underworld"
    Last edited by Daeross; Aug 29 2016 at 06:07 PM.

OMG, that is so cool. I love stuff like this.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Hey everybody, I found this inscription above a door leading out into Himbar. Is this an abbreviation for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldamiras View Post
    Hey everybody, I found this inscription above a door leading out into Himbar. Is this an abbreviation for something?
    This can be found in the LotRO-wiki: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Gat...C3%ADr_doorway

So...Sindarin tehta mode, saying either rest, Sindarin for "cleft, ravine, cut" or rust, Sindarin for "copper".
    Personally, I'm leaning towards the former, given what the door leads to.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5