We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Book 7 patch hangs

If there's an official thread for this I don't know where it is.

I downloaded the Book 7 patch today. Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like I could install it today but it wouldn't actually patch the client until the 17th. Is that right?

I have Vista 32-bit.

When I run the file it just flashes on the taskbar and then disappears. I check the Task Manager and see two items:

LOTRO-US-Updater-Moria-to-Book7.exe
    LOTRO-US-Updater-Moria-to-Book7.exe.tmp

Both are using about 1,500k memory.

I've let it sit here for a while, about 30 minutes, and nothing seems to be changing. Is it working for everyone else?

Re: Book 7 patch hangs

I noticed another process hanging called consent.exe, which was described as the Administrator consent dialog. I killed that and it killed the other processes I mentioned.

So I tried right-clicking and using Run as Administrator, it paused a long time and then displayed the consent dialog behind the Explorer window I was looking at. I saw it because it appeared on the task bar (which it didn't before). Clicking that and allowing Admin access seems to have worked.

So that's solved! In Vista, run as administrator.

Now it's complaining that it can't find a valid LOTRO install, probably because when I upgraded to Vista I didn't reinstall, I just copied the files over. Anyone know what it's looking for? Is there a particular registry key, or maybe it just detects the start menu link like some applications? I really don't want to reinstall...

Quote Originally Posted by YippyJoe View Post
    Now it's complaining that it can't find a valid LOTRO install, probably because when I upgraded to Vista I didn't reinstall, I just copied the files over. Anyone know what it's looking for? Is there a particular registry key, or maybe it just detects the start menu link like some applications? I really don't want to reinstall...
    You need to install the game so that the registry keys are added correctly. These are needed for the pre-patches to work. It finds where you installed LOTRO from there. Not sure if your current installation is hosed, but it may be. If you need it, grab the latest version of the client from here. Go to the remove programs control panel and check to see if LOTRO is listed. If it is, then uninstall it first.

Normally, you can just install the client on a new system and then copy the current game folder from the old system over the new install to update the files. But since you ran the pre-patch, some of the files may not be good anymore. So saving the folder to reuse the files may not work. Unless the files in the backup folder are still good.

- Pent
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Post Re: Book 7 patch hangs

Running Windows 7 here, tried running as admin as you suggested. Got the UAC popup I expected, then MOM flash screen followed by an error. Something about not being able to access a temp file. Had to kill explorer in Task Manager as everything crawled to molasses. Must be the cold weather here out East. (Man I miss home back in Arizona)

Anyway, Second try, normal, still got the expected dim screen and UAC popup, followed by the MOM flash screen, followed by the installation location box and it is happily installing. I'll update if I run into more trouble.

I DLed the pre-patch, took about 15 minutes on my 2Mbs connection and install was about 3 minutes. No problems with hanging or anything like the OP is describing here.
    [I]LOTRO has drink and smoke, this kill people. Eat corn is healthy. If you are Nobgobbler you can be most healthy too.[/I] - WNxNomos
    [I]You just made me punch my own face! That's how angry ganking makes me. I punch myself in my own face![/I] - hex2323

Quote Originally Posted by swattz101 View Post
    Running Windows 7 here, tried running as admin as you suggested. Got the UAC popup I expected, then MOM flash screen followed by an error. Something about not being able to access a temp file. Had to kill explorer in Task Manager as everything crawled to molasses. Must be the cold weather here out East. (Man I miss home back in Arizona)

Anyway, Second try, normal, still got the expected dim screen and UAC popup, followed by the MOM flash screen, followed by the installation location box and it is happily installing. I'll update if I run into more trouble.
    Try disabling your anti-virus. I get that error message accessing a temp file if my Kaspersky Internet Security is enabled. Installation starts just fine if I pause it.
    ネル Neliel Hunter Nellwyn Burglar Nellwing Rune-Keeper
    Animus - Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by Penter-Kar View Post
    Normally, you can just install the client on a new system and then copy the current game folder from the old system over the new install to update the files. But since you ran the pre-patch, some of the files may not be good anymore. So saving the folder to reuse the files may not work. Unless the files in the backup folder are still good.
    LOTRO still runs, it's just the pre-patch that won't work. So on Tuesday it will download it I'm sure, but since I already have it it would be nice if I could just run the pre-patch.

Does anyone happen to know what registry key it looks for?