We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Rune Keeper Lore

is there any?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000003cf2/01007/signature.png]Freyr[/charsig]

Re: Rune Keeper Lore

Quote Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
    is there any?
    The Rune-keeper is a Turbine invention, partially based upon Galadriel, if I recall properly. It is most certainly not an idea that has its basis in Tolkien's writing. Strictly speaking, Middle-earth is a very low magic environment. In fact, the word 'magic' is most often used as a description from a hobbit point-of-view. The elves are troubled by the word 'magic', because they don't properly understand what is meant by the term. Things that seem miraculous to a hobbit are rather commonplace to an elf.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

In The Hobbit there were secret runes on the map of Erebor that could only be read by moonlight. Of course the west gate of Moria was only visible when reflected in moon and star-light. I think that's about it for magic letters.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Quote Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
    is there any?
    As far as the writings of JRRT go? No.

As far as Turbine's efforts in interpreting and adding to JRRT's creation go? Apparently quite a lot, though I'm no expert on that RK lore since I haven't been inspired to play the class.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

If you want to play a RK, dont think about the lore. Lore-wise, they shouldn't exist. But they are a helluva fun class
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

None really there are "runes" in Lotr but not fire, lighting, and ice "oh my" runes
    That is why the most epic name for a RK is Lorebreaker

It is a fun class if you set aside the lore.
    Ned sidh,

Nólënaoir Mistalass
    Bowling for Hobbits

Quote Originally Posted by Nolenaoir View Post
    It is a fun class if you set aside the lore.
    Sure, but what's the use of making a game about a book when you refuse to follow the book? I totally approve of some lore breaking in the favor of gameplay, but a lightening casting Sith Lord class was NOT necessary.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

9. Jun 21 2009, 07:08 PM

Reason
    filter circumvention

If this game were following the book to the letter, nobody would play it. The only classes available would be Farmers and Blacksmiths or you'd play the class of Fleeing for your Lives Townsfolk! . In the books there were only a select few individuals who went on this epic adventure, everyone else stayed where they were farming crops and living they're lives or fleeing from the enemy.

You have to use some creative leniency if you want to present a fun game.
    Last edited by elosefast; Jun 21 2009 at 07:38 PM.
    [I]LOTRO has drink and smoke, this kill people. Eat corn is healthy. If you are Nobgobbler you can be most healthy too.[/I] - WNxNomos
    [I]You just made me punch my own face! That's how angry ganking makes me. I punch myself in my own face![/I] - hex2323

Quote Originally Posted by elosefast View Post
    If this game were following the book to the letter, nobody would play it.
    Too bad nobody is calling for Turbine to follow the books to the letter. All we're asking is that the lore breakings are a necessary change. Is it really necessary to have a Sith Lord class in the game?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    All we're asking is that the lore breakings are a necessary change. Is it really necessary to have a Sith Lord class in the game?
    ^^^^^ This

The fact is, some lore-breaking is subtle, acceptable, and necessary to make the game playable. Other lore-breaking is ridiculous and over the top.

What if they gave out AK47s instead of bows, and cars instead of horses? Would you tell people to not complain "because the game already broke lore by allowing plate armor, so you can't complain about lore-breaking"? ... Are you f***ing serious? Do you not see how asinine that is?

Runekeepers belong in Dungeons & Dragons Online, not LOTRO.
    Last edited by doctorraul; Jun 21 2009 at 09:12 PM.

how is plate armour lorebreaking?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    how is plate armour lorebreaking?
    Because there wasn't any in Middle-Earth. But this is acceptable IMO because we need a tanking class.

Because there wasn't any in Middle-Earth. But this is acceptable IMO because we need a tanking class.
    yeah but chain mail was in the books so isnt it possible to use plate?

and i thought the gondorian guards used plate armour

your right also we need a tanking class.

What about this? =)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Two Towers, Ch. 4: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
    Sam, eager to see more, went now and joined the guards. He scrambled a little way up into one of the larger of the bay-trees. For a moment he caught a glimpse of swarthy men in red running down the slope some way off with green-clad warriors leaping after them, hewing them down as they fled. Arrows were thick in the air. Then suddenly straight over the rim of their sheltering bank, a man fell, crashing through the slender trees, nearly on top of them. He came to rest in the fern a few feet away, face downward, green arrow-feathers sticking from his neck below a golden collar. His scarlet robes were tattered, his corslet of overlapping brazen plates was rent and hewn, his black plaits of hair braided with gold were drenched with blood. His brown hand still clutched the hilt of a broken sword.
    Now, obviously it's not a full suit of plate armour, but it does show that metal plates were used for protection in Middle-earth. This means that maille was not the only form of armour available.

17. Jun 21 2009, 09:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    What about this? =)Now, obviously it's not a full suit of plate armour, but it does show that metal plates were used for protection in Middle-earth. This means that maille was not the only form of armour available.
    Bah, off to the Houses of Lamentation with you! But is there any evidence of the Good Guys wearing any?

Bah, off to the Houses of Lamentation with you! But is there any evidence of the Good Guys wearing any?
    could aragorn have worn some plate armour during a ceremoney when he became king? and didnt thorin wear some during the battle of 5 armies

Again, no indication of a full suit, but there is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of the King, Ch. 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
    Then the prince [Imrahil] seeing [Éowyn's] beauty, though her face was pale and cold, touched her hand as he bent to look more closely on her. 'Men of Rohan!' he cried. 'Are there no leeches among you? She is hurt to the death maybe, but I deem that she yet lives.' And he held the bright-burnished vambrace that was upon his arm before her cold tips, and behold! a little mist was laid on it hardly to be seen.
    And it seems to be backed up by these:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    vam⋅brace [vam-breys]

–noun Armor.

1. a piece of plate armor for the forearm; a lower cannon. Compare rerebrace.

2. plate armor for the arm, usually including upper and lower cannons and a couter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Vambraces (French language avant-bras, sometimes known as lower cannons in the Middle Ages) are "tubular" or "gutter" defences for the forearm, developed first in the ancient world by the Romans, but only formally named during the early 14th century, as part of a suit of plate armour.
    On Wikipedia, there is also this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons...e-earth#Armour) to be found:
    Armour

Warriors in Middle-earth used mainly mail or scale armour. No plate armour was used except for individual pieces such as vambraces, or forearm guards, or greaves, or shinguards. Responding to a query about clothing in Middle-earth, Tolkien wrote:
    The Rohirrim were not "medieval", in our sense. The styles of the Bayeux Tapestry (made in England) fit them well enough, if one remembers that the kind of tennis-nets [the] soldiers seem to have on are only a clumsy conventional sign for chainmail of small rings. [58]
    The Dwarves are said to make mail of exceptionally high quality. Frodo's mithril shirt (originally Bilbo's) was made by them. Dáin's Dwarves also made metal hose for their legs, and kept secret the way it was made. [59]

Orcs wear poor-quality ring mail with large rings having few links. [citation needed] Gimli encounters an Orc at Helm's Deep who wears an iron collar for defence against strokes to the neck (his axe is damaged as a result). [60]

The Haradrim used armour with "overlapping brazen plates" together with steel helmets. [61]

Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth wore a metal vambrace. [56]
    So, it would seem that maille was preferred over full plate armour, however individual pieces of plate armour (vambraces, brazen plates, etc.) did exist. At the very least, this shows that a full suit of plate armour, while very unlikely to be worn in Middle-earth, was not altogether outside the realm of possibility.

could aragorn have worn some plate armour during a ceremoney when he became king?
    I don't believe his garb was ever described during that occasion, save for the Crown of Gondor.

...and didnt thorin wear some during the battle of 5 armies
    Nope, he wore golden maille.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit, Ch. 13: Not at Home
    Now the dwarves took down mail and weapons from the walls, and armed themselves. Royal indeed did Thorin look, clad in a coat of gold-plated rings, with a silver hafted axe in a belt crusted with scarlet stones.

Holy derailed thread Batman !!
    Who would have though rune keeper lore to plate armour in about 20 posts...

That's what I love about this category - you never know what's next
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Holy derailed thread Batman !!
    Who would have though rune keeper lore to plate armour in about 20 posts...

That's what I love about this category - you never know what's next
    Now about that Tom Bombadil character.....who/what do you think he is? :-)

Now about that Tom Bombadil character.....who/what do you think he is? :-)
    not again.........

tom bombidil is a ingima the clolest thing i would say he is close to is a valar but please dont take my word for it

BAD HAM! BAD!

*throws a [item]dace[/item] at ilikeham*

/fix thread.

RKs have no lore.

There... We're good!
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

umm, if I remember correctly there are runekeepers in the Silmarillion.
    >>>> Why do I keep playing this game? <<<<

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast