We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Exclamation Windows 7 and LOTRO Compatibility

With today’s release of Windows 7 we know many of our players are considering upgrading, and are wondering about software compatibility.

Our Quality Assurance department is continuing their evaluation of the performance of The Lord of the Rings Online™ on the new Windows 7 operating system. At this time, LOTRO has proven to be compatible with Windows 7 in most cases. While our QA department is confident that any issues are minor or likely to affect a very small number of players, they have not yet reached a point where they feel Windows 7 can be officially supported.

If you are upgrading or plan to upgrade to Windows 7 our staff suggests the following:

• Use the 64 bit Version of Windows 7 if at all possible. This will help avoid issues also present in Windows Vista where processes lose more address space to the Windows driver model. The more video RAM your card has, the larger the loss to the game and the space is particularly tight with 32 bit versions of Windows (Vista and later). If you have a card with 512MB or more memory, it is highly recommended to go to 64 bit Windows to avoid memory issues.
    • Windows 7 has the same issues as Windows Vista with Creative X-FI sound cards. We suggest you use software settings instead of hardware.
    • With any new operating system, drivers take several revisions to catch up. Many initial issues may be the result of beta or first generation Windows 7 drivers -- particularly those involving display issues on ATI or NVIDIA video cards.

If you have upgraded to Windows 7 and are experiencing an issue, please use this thread to report it. Because we are still not in an official support state, we cannot guarantee when your problem will be addressed but having your reports will help us identify the leading issues more clearly.

We will only be taking reports from the final release version of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate). If you’re using a beta, release candidate, or RTM version, you should first upgrade to the final commercial release before submitting a new report.

Re: Windows 7 and LOTRO Compatibility

I'd like to say that I've been having problems with LOTRO working with my GeForce 8800GT under XP. When I loaded Windows 7 beta the problems disappeared and I was able to crank up the graphics all the way. When I reloaded XP back to a clean install and loaded the GeForce drivers the old problems were back. Hopefully when I load the release version it runs clean again and I can start playing LotRO again. WoW is fun but I love the LotRO too.

Good luck with upgrades folks.
    Officer at The Lost Haven http://www.thelosthaven.com
    "Bringing a shining beacon of hope to a desolate wasteland of gaming"

My W7 should arrive today. I've been using various beta versions over the passed year without any problems. I'll post again if I encounter any problems with the retail version. But from my experience, Windows 7 is much more stable and faster than Vista was at launch and even Windows XP for that matter.
    Sarik - Warleader // Jacin - Champion // Aiden - Minstrel

I've been running Windows 7 Beta since the summer and it's been great! No more crashing or slow downs or hardware issues. I would recommend it. Much cleaner OS than Vista.
    Formerly of: *FIREFIGHTERS of Elendilmir VERRIK Lore-Master VORROTH Captain VERDICT Champion VISERRIS Guardian VERRIWISE Minstrel

5. Oct 22 2009, 01:46 PM

I've also been running Lotro and Windows 7 64-bit since June. No problems, increased performance over XP. I run a e8400 3Ghz, XFX 680i MB, 8G Ram, XFX 8800GT video.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000006a68/01008/signature.png]Hammbert[/charsig]
    Even a stopped clock gets it right twice a day...

Haven't had any issues with RC1. My official copy arrives tomorrows!

I have been running over a month now since my college got it through MSDN. Using Professional x64.
    [CENTER][SIZE="3"][B][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=160794"]A Wondeful Post Regarding Improving Housing[/url][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][SIZE="3"]
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=2195830"]A Second Wonderful Post Regarding Improving Housing[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002dc3/01001/signature.png]Chaldain[/charsig][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by lorindah View Post
    EDIT: And yes, load times are much faster with Windows 7.
    This is not the case. At least, not as a result of the operating system. You may have experienced decreased load times for some other reason, but via either dual-booting or virtualization, I can confirm that load times are just as long on Win7 as Vista or XP Pro, at least in some instance.
    [center][b][color=#941029]~ Eadwacer, 75 Warden, Nimrodel [/color][color=#941067] ~ [/color][color=#6a1094]Araedis, 52 Hunter, Nimrodel ~[/color][/b][/center]

Oh, also: If you're not taking reports from the RTM, you really need to reconsider that. Most people get their operating systems bundled with computers, which means most people are going to be getting the RTM of Win7 right up until the first service pack is released. Supporting the RTM should be first priority, not second.
    [center][b][color=#941029]~ Eadwacer, 75 Warden, Nimrodel [/color][color=#941067] ~ [/color][color=#6a1094]Araedis, 52 Hunter, Nimrodel ~[/color][/b][/center]

Ive used it with no issues W7 32 bit.

One thing to take note of the 32 bit only see's about 3.5gb of memory no matter what is installed....but with that said, ive run LOTRO just the same as when I was running 6 gigs.

It seems to run smoother then it did on vista, zero crashes so far.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000019e54b/01008/signature.png]Sagamore[/charsig]

Win 7 Ultimate x64 Retail
    GeForce GTS 250 1GB
    6GB DDR3-1800
    Intel i7 920
    EVGA X58 mobo w/onboard sound

Been running on the retail build for about 2 weeks.

Load times are significantly faster in Win 7 over Vista/XP. ~3 seconds difference into areas like Bree.

FPS are stable in Bree at 140FPS with Ultra-High + DX10.

Experienced no lock-ups or crashes.
    Last edited by DarkCntry; Oct 22 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Adding the Ultimate moniker.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
    Win 7 x64 Retail
    GeForce GTS 250 1GB
    6GB DDR3-1800
    Intel i7 920
    EVGA X58 mobo w/onboard sound

Been running on the retail build for about 2 weeks.

Load times are significantly faster in Win 7 over Vista/XP. ~3 seconds difference into areas like Bree.

FPS are stable in Bree at 140FPS with Ultra-High + DX10.

Experienced no lock-ups or crashes.
    /jealous

Also isn't Windows 7 Professional from MSDNAA the same as the final version?
    8 Chestnut Road, Bromburg, Breeland Homesteads

14. Oct 22 2009, 03:24 PM

Win7/64/Ultimate GM build for about 3 weeks (MSDN). I7-950, Nvidia GTX275-1792Mb, 6 Gb, EVGA X58, on-board sound.

One minor bug, probably trivial, which I logged. Happens during launch on the splash screens. Totally avoidable, i.e. has workaround

No crashes, hangs, dx10 frame frame in 21st hall at a busy time: 40-45 fps.

Moors runs were fast and lag-free with 30-40 players in the area.

Tip: Don't use x64 sound drivers. Or companion x64 apps, like Ventrilo. Yet. Stay x86 on those guys for a bit.
    Last edited by Tokomak; Oct 22 2009 at 03:42 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=royalblue]Tokomak, 75 Guard -- Viniel, 75 Minstrel -- Valwin, 75 Captain -- Vinlad, 75 Burglar[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=royalblue][URL="http://swiftswords.guildlaunch.com"]Swift Swords[/URL], Landroval[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Arandil View Post
    /jealous

Also isn't Windows 7 Professional from MSDNAA the same as the final version?
    Build revision, yes...however it does come packaged with the more recent updates out-of-box. For MSDN's, this shouldn't be a big issue

I'm going to go back up and edit my post to add in the fact that it is Ultimate though
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

I've been running Win 7 for months without problems. Started with the release candidate, and then received the official through the Microsoft Partner Program two months ago. Have Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop and Professional 64-bit on my laptop. The performance is definitely better than Vista and the reliability is fantastic.

One thing you may run into if you're upgrading from XP, is that under Vista and Win7, sometimes when you log in, right after the screen goes black, the Windows task bar shows up again and you can see the LotRO item. If you don't give focus back to LotRO right away it'll crash silently. I've run into this on my laptop, my home desktop, and my wife's desktop. This should be nothing new if you're on Vista. All three computers run DX10 and nVidia 8xxx series graphics cards, which could be the culprit. I've never quite nailed it down. This also happens with DDO under DX10, but not any other game, so I think it's a Turbine engine DX10 thing. It's definitely not a show stopper, but it's something to be aware of.
    Dividion - Lore-Master - Level 100
    Brandywine Server
    www.GlorySeekers.org
    My LotRO Videos

Upgraded a couple months back to 64 bit Windows 7 RC. That stopped the once a week hang that I used to have since first starting the game (Nvidia 8600GTS, SB Live). Added another 2GB of memory which had a good effect on performance, and I boosted the cache a bit. Recently added an Nvidia 9800GT, fastest I could get without getting a new power supply or getting a double-width card, and the game runs great now, and I can even turn on DX10 without losing all my frame rate.

The only glitch is when running in windowed mode. If there's the small icons on the task bar, and the LotRO window touches the round start button or its animation, the frame rate drops in half. So when using windowed mode I use the large icons for an fat task bar, but often do a lot of full screen instead (inconvenient as it's hard to tab out for a browser window).

I've been running W7 64-bit RC1 Ultimate (build 7100) ever since I got it, meaning the day after it was released

And I must say... I got less issues than I used to have with XP, my whole 8GB of RAM are now supported (yeah, only had 32-bit XP, but needed the 8GB when running data analysis on Unix) thus way more fluid, smooth and stable operation of LoTRo.

Only detail is that LoTRo seems not to be compabible with W7's Aero.. I get sent back to the Basic Window manager whenever LoTRo's running.

Will test it on MSDN-AA's W7 Pro as soon as I can find time to install it (I haven't even been plaaying LoTRo lately, and that is a sure sign that I've been too busy )!

I have been running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 with LotRO since Win7 was in beta. There are usually no issues at all. Just make sure all of your drivers are up to date.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001de2ca/01007/signature.png]Amoriborn[/charsig]

The only issues I have had since installing Win 7 x64 are the load times of LOTRO, it takes minutes from clicking the icon to actually being in game (I will run some tests to quantify with real values), my brother has noticed this since upgrading from Vista (fresh install).

The other issue is when entering banks etc, it can take up to a minute for the me to get back into game (this is random though because sometimes it takes seconds).

My spec is:
    I7 920
    6gb Ram
    nVidia GTX 280 (1024 mb Ram)

I have been running Win7 Pro x64 RTM since mid september (yay MSDNAA!!)

Asus N50
    -Intel Core2 Duo t5800
    -4gb ram
    -Nvidia 9650m /w 1gb vram

Running with just about maxed out settings everything has been silky smooth so far. The only trouble I have had is the same as Lohi, where the game crashes on launch. I think that when DX10 is turned on DX9 gets turned off Windows is stealing the focus from the game to notify that Aero features requiring DX9 have been turned off. Dont know why that is causing the game to crash.

Id imagine turning off all the Aero stuff would fix the issue, but I like my pretty "glass" windows.

And I concur with others saying load times are faster. I feel like Win7 is lighter on system resources in general, so that probably has alot to do with it.
    [size=3][color=#FF0000][B][I]Hakkaa Päälle!![/I][/B][/color][/size]

I've been running LOTRO under Windows 7 Enterprise (full release version for Gold Partners) for a few months now and the only issue I've had was with DirectX10 Shadowing (ATI4890). When it was enabled, it caused random crashes of LOTRO to the desktop. However, since I disabled this setting I've had no other issues at all.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000001220/01003/signature.png]Tarrax[/charsig]
    Kataleyna - 60th Man Captain
    Khaldor - 60th Man Warden
    [url]www.cenameldir.net[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Seedly View Post
    Id imagine turning off all the Aero stuff would fix the issue, but I like my pretty "glass" windows.
    Turning off Aero doesn't fix the problem. Lohi is right, it has to do with the focus being taken by the Aero is being disabled message that comes up. I think the real trick would be finding a way to disable the warning message though I haven't had the time/bother to figure it out myself.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000122d4a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thumbs up Re: Windows 7 and LOTRO Compatibility

I have been running Win7 on 2 PCs since January. Originally Beta win7 and more recently the RC.

P4, 3GHz overclocked to 3.38GHz, 3G RAM, 32 bit, DX9, Radeon 800XL

E8500 Core2Duo, 3.16GHz, 8G RAM, 64 bit, DX10, Radeon 4800

So far I have found LOTRO much more stable on both than I did on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by caelyndir2 View Post
    Turning off Aero doesn't fix the problem. Lohi is right, it has to do with the focus being taken by the Aero is being disabled message that comes up. I think the real trick would be finding a way to disable the warning message though I haven't had the time/bother to figure it out myself.
    I turned mine off somehow so it can be done. Dont ask me how though. But if you have xfire or steam on, anytime someone logs in/out that little popup does the same thing anyway.
    [RIGHT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ffa07a]Babou + Tyrannosaurus [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]/ [/SIZE][COLOR=#afeeee][SIZE=2]Zapdos[/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][B][COLOR=#ee82ee][SIZE=3]Acta Non Verba[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/RIGHT]

Count me among those having problems.

Did a clean install of Win7 Home Premium 64 bit and installed LotRO from the original SoA disks. The launcher launched and downloaded a massive update, relaunched itself, and then complained that it needed a Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package. So I installed that. Then the launcher said it needed the service pack for the VC++ package, so I installed that. Then it said I needed the .NET 1.1 framework, so I downloaded that and installed it even though Windows said there were known compatibility issues.

Fired up the launcher again after all this, and it said I needed to install a Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package...

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast