We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Post Tolkien Trivia, Revived

By what name does the Great East Road become once it reaches Mirkwood?

Bonus: What small town does it almost cross at the border of Mirkwood? (This was fabled to be at one time a previous settlement of Radagast the Brown.)
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

Re: Tolkien Trivia, Revived

- The Old Forest Road

- Dale

(Educated guesses, both.)
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"][I][COLOR="YellowGreen"]"Behold the Chinchillas! They ride to war!"[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][RIGHT][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]I'm not a hobbit burglar, but I play one on Landroval![/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/darquo/"]Darquo Flatfoot[/URL] 61BRG | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/ghoin/"]Ghoin Onabeerrun[/URL] 42HNT | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/methuzelah/"]Methuzelah[/URL] 27LM | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/feiladan/"]Feiladan[/URL] 24RK[/SIZE][/RIGHT]

Bonus: Rhosgobel

Thanks for bringing this back to life!

Here's one short and sweet:

Who was King Bladorthin?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

He ordered the thrice forged spears found in Smaugs hoard, whether he was an elvish king or a Dorwinion King is a topic of conjecture on the net.

What was the first and oldest Numenorean city founded in Middle earth?.
    Last edited by Morthaur; Dec 16 2009 at 06:43 PM.
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    What was the first and oldest Numenorean city founded in Middle earth?.
    Umbar

/more letters
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

No its not Umbar
    (Perhaps city was an exageration, Fortified Town might be more lore appropiate)
    Last edited by Morthaur; Dec 16 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Lon Daer / Vinyalonde? Your wording--both "oldest" and "first" along with "city" makes me think you may have been looking for something else though. Like the oldest Numenorean city surviving into the War of the Ring, for instance. Though in that case I can't do better than Umbar, or maybe Pelargir.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Osgiliath? Although it's not truly a city anymore.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Tharbad, whether it was a conqured eridorian town it was occupied by Numenor from SA750 through to the time of the great plague when its last dunedain inhabitants left for Arthedain, then it struggled on till the time of the longwinter and the great floods thereafter when it finally was abandoned (TA2912).

It would seem Tharbad was in existance when Aldarion constructed Vinyalonde but at any rate it survived that town and nearly made it into the fourth age.

Hmm references to the first date seem a bit unreliable on the net Eregion wasnt founded till SA750 at the same time Aldarion made his first voyage so if Galadrial and Aldarion met near Tharbad then I cant see it being earlier than this maybe as late as SA875 during the founding of Vinayalnde, I shall look it up again tonight in relation to Veantur, but it still beats Umbar SA2280 by a long shot.
    Last edited by Morthaur; Dec 17 2009 at 08:41 PM.

edit: nevermind, I see you're looking into it.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

When Frodo, Merry and Pippin were first heading out of the Shire towards the ferry and going through the Marish, Pippin recognized the field of turnips they were along side (and trespassing on). Who's farm was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnarr View Post
    When Frodo, Merry and Pippin were first heading out of the Shire towards the ferry and going through the Marish, Pippin recognized the field of turnips they were along side (and trespassing on). Who's farm was this?
    Farmer Maggots, I believe. The same one Burglars get to steal mushrooms from in their level 15 quest
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Yep that's it!

This is sort of an unfair question, but what motive did Sauron originally have that led him to join Melkor?

HINT: It wasn't for power, at least at first. Also, I can't recall where I read this information. It might have been in the HoME series, or one of the letters of JRR Tolkien.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    This is sort of an unfair question, but what motive did Sauron originally have that led him to join Melkor?

HINT: It wasn't for power, at least at first. Also, I can't recall where I read this information. It might have been in the HoME series, or one of the letters of JRR Tolkien.
    Was it fear of Melkor? I believe Melkor forced him to join up...
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    Was it fear of Melkor? I believe Melkor forced him to join up...
    Nope. Sauron was always a willing participant.

A desire to bring order onto the world ?
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Sauron was not evil (at first), but Morgoth's seeming control over things wooed him.

"he loved order and coordination"

EDIT: looks like tuor66 beat me to it.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

While we wait to see if that's correct...... Who did Sauron originally "work" for ?

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    While we wait to see if that's correct...... Who did Sauron originally "work" for ?
    That would be Aule I believe.

Who was the leader of the elven smiths that created the original rings of power?

Celebrimbor of Hollin, he's also the vandal who carved his name on the West Gate of Moria

Speaking of the gate, why did the Dwarves let the Elves carve "The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria" on it instead of Khazad-dum ? Moria means "black-pit", a little insulting don't you think ?

A series of questions about Durin's folk:

1. After the Longbeards were driven out of Moria, where was their king's next permanent (more than one generation) settlement?

2. After the Longbeards were driven out of that place (this time by dragon's ire), where did their king settle next?

3. Who was the king's heir at the time they were driven out?

4. Who was that heir's nephew and how did he die?
    Last edited by Vilnas; Dec 29 2009 at 01:31 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Speaking of the gate, why did the Dwarves let the Elves carve "The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria" on it instead of Khazad-dum ? Moria means "black-pit", a little insulting don't you think ?
    Yeah, that's a good one. Could the dwarves read elvish, do you think? Perhaps Celebrimbor was having a little joke on Durin's folk?

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast