We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 117 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

One-word Tolkien Trivia

Yeah....an experiment.
    One word with a question mark should lead to only one answer.
    I'll start.

Fatherless?

Edit:

Rule #1: Subject matter is limited to JRR Tolkien's major canon works;

The Silmarillion
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadill
    The Children Of Hurin

(No movies, Radio or Lotro)
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Nov 15 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added Rule #1

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Re: One-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Yeah....an experiment.
    One word with a question mark should lead to only one answer.
    I'll start.

Fatherless?
    I know what you're looking for, but I'm going to be a jerk and say "iluvatar"

Udun
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    I know what you're looking for, but I'm going to be a jerk and say "iluvatar"

Udun
    Are you suffering from seasonal affective disorder?

You are correct in that I was not looking for Iluvatar. And by the way, can you site a passage where it is stated that Iluvatar is fatherless?

The only argument for him being fatherless I think is the fallacy of there being nothing that says otherwise...

"You never hear of his father, so he must not have one!"
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    "You've never seen sir-rinthian's shoehorn, so he must not have one!"
    *shakes head in disbelief*

Durin

/more characters
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Durin

/more characters
    I guess a case could be made for Aule being the "father" of Durin and of the other seven "Fathers" of the dwarves.

The one-word clue is supposed to refer to only one possible answer garnered from Tolkien's published work.

You guys are killing me. The answer is obviously either Anakin or Dolly, both of whom are referenced by Tolkien in one of the Really Lost Tales.

I almost said Iarwain Ben-adar, but that's not actually one word. Whew, now that would have been embarrassing.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Wow since this is a tolkien forum I thought I would post this here as well

Calling all Arkenstonians!!

The Last Hope is hosting a Tolkien Trivia event.

Arkenstone Server:
    March 25, 2010
    9:00 PM EST

Join us in TLHTRIVIA userchannel for fun!!! To join this channel just type /joinchannel TLHTRIVIA.

We will also be playing music at the Party Tree (Shire) and giving away pipeweed and ale for all attendees.

Hope to see you all there

Are you suffering from seasonal affective disorder?

You are correct in that I was not looking for Iluvatar. And by the way, can you site a passage where it is stated that Iluvatar is fatherless?
    Are you saying Iluvatar does have a father?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    You guys are killing me. The answer is obviously either Anakin or Dolly, both of whom are referenced by Tolkien in one of the Really Lost Tales.

I almost said Iarwain Ben-adar, but that's not actually one word. Whew, now that would have been embarrassing.

Ok BIGsmartA$$.
    You have it corect with Tom Bombadill. (Iarwain Ben-adar)
    For the record, never intended for a one-word answer. Just a one-word clue.
    Dolly was cute by the way.
    Ok BIG. Its on you....lets have your clue.

And to Arasilion: Not saying that Eru has a father, just that no where is it stated (by JRRT) that he has one. (at least I can find no such statement)

We can quote where Ol' Yellow Boots is refered to as "fatherless".

Banazir?
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Samwise, but whether the Samwise in question is also a Gamgee is not known.

Edited: Although on reflection you could just mean halfwit and be refering to Peregrine Took
    Last edited by Cutholen; Mar 10 2010 at 12:10 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    Samwise, but whether the Samwise in question is also a Gamgee is not known.

Edited: Although on reflection you could just mean halfwit and be refering to Peregrine Took
    Ahh, the Jedi Hobbit.

Heres 4 Lenwe, Elwe, Finwe and Ingwe, I chalenge you to name their fathers.
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Lenwe = Lenny Bruce.

Elwe = Elmore James

Finwe = Finbar Furey

Ingwe = Ingersol Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    They don't even have fathers, do they? Aren't they the first Elves to ever awake?

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    They don't even have fathers, do they? Aren't they the first Elves to ever awake?
    From memory, Ingwe was the leader of the Vanyar; Finwe of the Noldor; and Elwe, with his brother Olwe was the leader of the Teleri. Lenwe was one of Elwe's followers, but he turned aside from the march with a large body of Teleri before they crossed the Misty Mountains, thus forming the Nandor. In no case is their father known, but it is unlikely that they were fatherless, ie, that they themselves awoke on the shores of Cuivienen.

According to the timeline of Middle-earth, there were 50 Valain years between the waking of the elves and the departure of Finwe, Ingwe, and Elwe as ambassadors to Aman. Depending on how you interpret that, that means there were around 500 to 7200 years between awakening and discovery. At a minimum, that is five generations, and at a maximum, 72, or approximately, between 5 and 72 successive doublings of the population. Therefore, at best, at the time of the embassy, only 1 in 32 living elves awoke by Cuivienen, and hence, any given elf (such as the ambassadors) had at best a 1 in 32 chance of being such an elf.

Accepting this low figure, of course, also means accepting a total Elvish population of approximately 5,500 at the time of the embassy; less the depredations of Morgoth. This is a very low figure for accounts of the passage of the Elves to Aman, so it is in fact likely that the higher figure (72 generations, and hence 72 successive doublings) is more accurate.

It might be argued that the leaders of the respective kindreds of the Elves were most likely amongst the first born (indeed, were the first three born according to the legend). However, it is just as likely that these first three had died due to the depredations of Morgoth. Certainly it is unlikely that Finwe (whose first child was born in Amman) or Elwe (who married Melian, and hence was unlikely to have been already married) were from that first generation, all of whom had wives whom they awoke next to (according to the legend).

Note: For convenience I have reffered to successive doublings, but if we follow Tolkien's account of the Elven life cycle, then elven populations would expand linearly rather than geometrically. That would mean after five generations, any living elf would have a 1 in 6 chance of being from the first generation, but the population would only be 6 times that of the initial population less depredations.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

Well since no one else has stepped up, I will post another.

Bird-Tamer?

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    They have none. First generation elves that awoke beside the waters of Cuivienen.
    Ngaemond 140 Cpt | Ngeowyn 140 Wrd | Ngali 140 Ch | Ngorbadoc 140 Hnt | Ngollwydha Brg 140 | Ngureth 140 Lm | Ngoin 140 Min | | Ngori 140 Rk | Ngeorn 140 Beor | Ngurin 140 Grd | Ngalin 140 Br
    Arkenstone (formerly Windfola)

Well since no one else has stepped up, I will post another.

Bird-Tamer?
    Radagast!

Radagast!

We have a winner.
    Where should I send the check?

Morning?

We have a winner.
    Where should I send the check?
    Is it worth more than the postage?

Morning?

What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good on this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?

Page 1 of 117 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast