We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question UI skinner needs gambit feed back

Hello folks,

I'm working on the gambit bar display for my UI. I would appreciate some input from you the experts

I was thinking about totally removing the gambit name display in the bar. Are any of you using it or is it useless?

If you could is there anything else you would like for the gambit bar?

Thanks!

Re: UI skinner needs gambit feed back

(don't laugh at my morale, this was taken quite a while ago).

Ok The name doesn't bother me, I kinda like it. What bothers me is:
    The large spaces between the builder icons (a thin space, like those on the quickslots is good)
    All the design around the execute button.
    ■■■■■

Make the gambit execute button bigger by a fair margin and put the name of the gambit above the builder icons, or put the name below the builder icons. and bump them up a bit. Either way it will fit into a slender rectangle.

One thing I don't like about the current gambit panel is that the Gambit icon is on the right. I'd prefer it on the left. As it is, every time the max length of a gambit increases, there is more wasted space between builders and gambit execute button.

That's fine if all you are building is 5-length gambits, but I use 2 and 3 length almost as much. I suppose if you were actually clcking on the gambit panel, it would make sense (left to right). As it is, I've never heard of anyone actually clicking on the panel. As it is, the panel takes up a ton of room for those using smaller monitors. Scaling down the size renders the builder icons illegible.

EDIT: I like the idea of the name being below the builders, bring them in line with the top of the gambit execute button.. As others have said, seeing the builders is the paramount thing. You could even potentially leave out the gambit execute button altogether and just leave the builders and the name. (Although I like it on there.)
    Last edited by geoboy; Mar 17 2010 at 03:45 PM.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

I look at the gambit panel a lot, but only to make sure lag hasn't messed up my input. So all I care about is the builders. I could lose the name and the box for the actual gambit and not even notice.
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Riddermark (Officer -- Is A Small Fellowship)
    Wyrond -- 65 Warden -- Brandywine (Semi-Retired)
    Numerous alts across three servers

I'd keep the name, just so I know what I'm about to execute if a builder didn't fire off or if my fingers did something stupid

I don't make a point of memorizing gambit icons, since the label is right there...

#1 importance: Being able to see the builders.

I like having the gambit name. It doesn't have to be the largest, most visible thing, but I like being able to see what gambit is there when I'm not paying attention.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019d475/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Nightmares - 30 Hobbit Warden - Riddermark
    Endaa - 65 Man Warden - Brandywine
    Enda - 65 Hobbit Burglar - Brandywine
    Suvi - 65 Elf Hunter - Brandywine

So if I read well it would be
    1. keep the name (maybe set it below the builder row)
    2. keep the builders
    3. remove the main box

=> Mostly only remove the gambit execute
    Last edited by Arnwalden; Mar 18 2010 at 02:52 PM.

I think the execute is fine as long as it's a simple icon, slightly bigger than the others. Just strip off the design and make it tighter.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

I would like to see the gambit panel be much smaller. When I'm fighting I like to rotate my camera around to different angles to get a sort of cinematic feel while I kill stuff (wardens have awesome attack animations, so why not? ) and from some angles my gambit panel covers up part of my character or my enemies.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, but too rare to die. ~Hunter S. Thompson

I would do what Geo suggested, 1 big icon with 5 smaller ones, make the name go on top of the small ones and have the small icons with the text on top be as tall as the big icon
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000112b46/01006/signature.png]Thandiliel[/charsig]

Ok folks,

Here 2 versions, the art is removed in both

First one: gambit execute hidden, and gambit name displayed below the builders
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <opt>
    <!-- Skin by Deewe -->
    <!-- http://www.lotrointerface.com -->
    <SkinName Name="Gambit+Name"></SkinName>

<!-- Gambit Panel -->
    <PanelFile ID="ID_UISkin_GamePlay_GambitBar">
      <Element ID="GamePlay_GambitBar" X="710" Y="587" Width="281" Height="118"> 
        <Element ID="GambitBar" X="0" Y="20" Width="281" Height="98"> 
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_Cashout_Name_Background" X="24" Y="70" Width="192" Height="20"> 
            <Element ID="box_gambit_title_right" X="180" Y="0" Width="12" Height="20"> </Element>
            <Element ID="box_gambit_title_left" X="0" Y="0" Width="11" Height="20"> </Element>
            <Element ID="box_gambit_title_center" X="11" Y="0" Width="169" Height="20"> </Element>
          </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitCashout" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> 
          </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitSlotList" X="23" Y="37" Width="195" Height="30"> </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_Cashout_Background" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_Background" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitCashout_Name" X="23" Y="64" Width="201" Height="32"> </Element>
        </Element>
        <Element ID="HiddenDragBox_DragBox" X="0" Y="20" Width="281" Height="98"> 
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_InnerShadow" X="1" Y="1" Width="279" Height="96"> 
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_TopLeft" X="0" Y="0" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_MidLeft" X="0" Y="9" Width="9" Height="78"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_BottomLeft" X="0" Y="87" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_BottomMid" X="9" Y="87" Width="261" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_BottomRight" X="270" Y="87" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_MidRight" X="270" Y="9" Width="9" Height="78"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_TopRight" X="270" Y="0" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_TopMid" X="9" Y="0" Width="261" Height="9"> </Element>
          </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_LeftBorder" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="98"> </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_BottomBorder" X="1" Y="97" Width="279" Height="1"> </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_RightBorder" X="280" Y="0" Width="1" Height="98"> </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_TopBorder" X="1" Y="0" Width="279" Height="1"> </Element>
        </Element>
        <Element ID="HiddenDragBox_DragBar" X="0" Y="0" Width="281" Height="20"> </Element>
        <Element ID="HiddenDragBox_TitleText" X="13" Y="0" Width="254" Height="20"> </Element>
      </Element>
    </PanelFile>

<Mapping ArtAssetID="gambit_empty" FileName="..\Graphics\invisible.tga" /> 
      <Mapping ArtAssetID="box_gambit_title_center" FileName="..\Graphics\vitals\box_gambit_title_center.tga"></Mapping>
      <Mapping ArtAssetID="box_gambit_title_left" FileName="..\Graphics\vitals\box_gambit_title_left.tga"></Mapping>

</opt>
    The second one: gambit execute is present but removed the gambit name.
    Code:
    <!-- Skin by Deewe -->
    <!-- http://www.lotrointerface.com -->
    <SkinName Name="Gambit+Name"></SkinName>

<PanelFile ID="ID_UISkin_GamePlay_GambitBar">
      <Element ID="GamePlay_GambitBar" X="710" Y="587" Width="281" Height="118"> 
        <Element ID="GambitBar" X="0" Y="20" Width="281" Height="98"> 
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_Cashout_Name_Background" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> 
          </Element>
    <!--  Edit :replace the line below with this one to hide the big gambit button on the right in the gambit bar      <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitCashout" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1">  -->
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitCashout" X="229" Y="32" Width="38" Height="38"> 
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillPlayingOverlay" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillOnDeckOverlay" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillErrorOverlay" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillResetTimer" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillIcon" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> 
              <Element ID="Overlay" X="0" Y="0" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillGhostedOverlay" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillComboMatchOverlay" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillAvailableOverlay" X="3" Y="3" Width="32" Height="32"> </Element>
            <Element ID="FinishingSkillRangeOverlay" X="23" Y="4" Width="12" Height="12"> </Element>
          </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitSlotList" X="23" Y="37" Width="195" Height="30"> </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_Cashout_Background" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_Background" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> </Element>
          <Element ID="GambitWindow_GambitCashout_Name" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="1"> </Element>
        </Element>
        <Element ID="HiddenDragBox_DragBox" X="0" Y="20" Width="281" Height="98"> 
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_InnerShadow" X="1" Y="1" Width="279" Height="96"> 
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_TopLeft" X="0" Y="0" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_MidLeft" X="0" Y="9" Width="9" Height="78"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_BottomLeft" X="0" Y="87" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_BottomMid" X="9" Y="87" Width="261" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_BottomRight" X="270" Y="87" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_MidRight" X="270" Y="9" Width="9" Height="78"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_TopRight" X="270" Y="0" Width="9" Height="9"> </Element>
            <Element ID="InnerShadow_TopMid" X="9" Y="0" Width="261" Height="9"> </Element>
          </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_LeftBorder" X="0" Y="0" Width="1" Height="98"> </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_BottomBorder" X="1" Y="97" Width="279" Height="1"> </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_RightBorder" X="280" Y="0" Width="1" Height="98"> </Element>
          <Element ID="Box_01_Empty_TopBorder" X="1" Y="0" Width="279" Height="1"> </Element>
        </Element>
        <Element ID="HiddenDragBox_DragBar" X="0" Y="0" Width="281" Height="20"> </Element>
        <Element ID="HiddenDragBox_TitleText" X="13" Y="0" Width="254" Height="20"> </Element>
      </Element>
    </PanelFile>

<Mapping ArtAssetID="gambit_empty" FileName="..\Graphics\invisible.tga" /> 
      <Mapping ArtAssetID="gambit_shieldAndSpear" FileName="..\Graphics\invisible.tga" />

</opt>
    You can find the needed pics here in my UI files Yessh UI

I like the first version, it fits very well above the players vital, and you see what's you're going to execute if you bound it to one of your hot keys.

It fits all resolutions and can be integrated into any custom UI or your liking.

For the less geeks I might be publishing 2 patches later.