We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Hunter Overload?

I'm just returning back to the game after a six month absence, and am planning on picking up my 35 hunter once again. I'm concerned, though, because someone told me that "there are twice as many hunters as any other class" at end game, and that I might have a hard time finding groups as a hunter. Is this a correct assumption? Might I be better off rolling a different class? I really like my hunter and don't really want to give her up, but I also don't want to have to solo everything in the game.

Re: Hunter Overload?

Quote Originally Posted by judegirl View Post
    I'm just returning back to the game after a six month absence, and am planning on picking up my 35 hunter once again. I'm concerned, though, because someone told me that "there are twice as many hunters as any other class" at end game, and that I might have a hard time finding groups as a hunter. Is this a correct assumption? Might I be better off rolling a different class? I really like my hunter and don't really want to give her up, but I also don't want to have to solo everything in the game.
    If I were only level 35 I would probably reroll an RK or a Warden. The RK simply because they are the OP-du-jour right now (although that could change in a future update and, in all likelihood, will) and they look to be a real *blast* to play. I have two RKs all lined up to dual-box as I hear that combo is absolutely *sick* to play. Just don't have the time to get started.

The Warden because they seem very resilient (I've only played mine up to 26 but am thoroughly impressed, all the same), but I'm discouraged by having to memorize the gambits. Whenever I've left my Warden for too long it takes a while to figure everything out again, and he's got maybe a 1/3 of the total gambits so far. If the gambit UI changes and becomes a little more intuitive, I may be persuaded to pursue the Warden further. I've never been any good at combo-style games like side scrollers for instance so managing gambits does not come easy and I find myself hammering the same two or three skills or dialing gambits that don't quite fit the situation. I don't think one should have to rely on a print-out of a third-party gambit chart taped to the side of ones monitor just to remind them of what their character is capable of.

All that being said, I'm still most comfortable with the hunter, and if not for the LI system I would probably still be enthusiastic about playing my own. And to be clear, I won't play ANY class beyond 50 due to the LI system. That has nothing to do with the hunter class. I just prefer to play lower levels right now to avoid the frustration associated with grinding LIs.
    [LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][SIZE=1]Ardent Defender against the Order of Fanatical [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Anti-N[/SIZE][SIZE=1]eophyte [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Braggadocios [/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ordaining Illogicality[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT]

Thanks for the response. I was actually considering warden and RK, or possibly a minstrel.

What are LIs? I've never made it higher than level 35, so the end game is still a mystery to me.

Here's a good user created guide on Legendary Items http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Legendary_Items_Guide

And here's a good snap-shot of the general disdain the community has for Legendary Items (LI). http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=317538

However, since the powers-that-be took the time to actually create the aforementioned feedback thread, most folks are hopeful that beneficial changes are forthcoming. I, personally, really hope so because I'm actually starting to miss Moria (51+).
    [LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][SIZE=1]Ardent Defender against the Order of Fanatical [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Anti-N[/SIZE][SIZE=1]eophyte [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Braggadocios [/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ordaining Illogicality[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by judegirl View Post
    yea sadly there are alot of hunters but honestly only 7% of hunters in each server know the class well and know how to play it....the rest are just a bunch of button mashers who piss me off giving the class look pathetic
    I do it for the lulz. ~SnH~
    People @ turbine/WB are a huge tease, but dont worry they end up screwing you on every update/expansion.
    " When enough scrubs get together, they accomplish great things "

Rune-keepers are insane amounts of fun. They're a bit squishier solo than a Hunter, but once you learn a few tricks it's quite possible to solo almost as well. To be fair Hunters need to learn a few tricks to handle multiple mobs too, so it's really not that big of a change.

At higher levels RKs are stupidly potent damage dealers, as well as top tier healers. It's going to make life lots easier finding a group if you're a RK. People always need healers, and when they don't you change a few traits and blow stuff to pieces. You get the added bonus of only having to obtain one set of gear to do the job of two classes (Hunter or Minstrel) in one package, so it's very time efficient. Did I mention you get to melt things with fire or explode them with lightning?

I'm enjoying my RK quite a bit. It's a much more dynamic class than Hunter. I still like my Hunter, he will always have a special place in my heart (first to 50, first master crafter, et cetera), but I second the 'Try a RK' comment. Play what makes you happy though if you do try other classes. What some guy said about this or that (including any of us here) isn't as important as how much you personally enjoy the class you choose to play.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by NameAlreadyTaken View Post
    Play what makes you happy though if you do try other classes. What some guy said about this or that (including any of us here) isn't as important as how much you personally enjoy the class you choose to play.
    ^

I have a RK too, and they're very fun to play, and well more thought-out than hunter (IMO). This was particularly true after vol2bk7 update.

That being said, I shelved my RK in SoM and only play my hunter now. Why? I like the hobbit huntery goodness that is Hataru Beerbane more than any other toon. pewpewpew.

(said shelving had little to do w/ the class, and much to do w/ the aforementioned LI system being more of a grind than I choose to commit for multiple toons.)
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Strange thing, I see more RK's than hunters right now. I think the "advanced" lures the newbies away, but it's a really simple class to play well. I think at one point there WAS alot of hunters, something I don't see quite as much now. I see alot more RK's running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Duredhel View Post
    ... And to be clear, I won't play ANY class beyond 50 due to the LI system. That has nothing to do with the hunter class. I just prefer to play lower levels right now to avoid the frustration associated with grinding LIs.
    Really? That seems rather silly to me. If your issue is "grinding" then don't grind. Just don't treat it like a big deal. That's what I've done and it has been great. I got kinda lucky with my hunter's bow but my capt hasn't been so fortunate, but I don't care.
    All you gotta do is pick up *any* LI and just passively let it level up. The benefits of having one far outweigh not having one. Put points into DPS and whatever is good after that. Done and done.

Or are you protesting in hopes that turbine will change the system? Because that would actually make more sense.
    \\ Rawlor \\ Unpossible \\ Durglar \\
    ...::: Brandywine :::...

Quote Originally Posted by Rawlor View Post

Or are you protesting in hopes that turbine will change the system? Because that would actually make more sense.

Yes. And I cancelled my 2nd account as well. Every day I don't login to an alt is more data for them to collect about an idle toon.

(edit: just for clarity - it's also b/c of relic grinding, etc. I don't want to intentionally play a gimpy toon. LIs impact too many jobs for you to have a sucka$$ one w/ tier2 relics and tier1/2 legacies.)
    [/color]

I actually took up the RK to reduce the grind. I funnel all my relics to him since I can fill two roles in one character slot. I can get double duty out of any armor or gear drops too. My Guardian did his relic grinding in Moria since he was my main raid character, so he's good enough. Everyone else logs in to craft or run the occasional Badges of Dishonor + Protectors Skirmish combo for a star and a few marks (to send relics to my RK).

My Hobbit Burglar has been out of the crafting halls exactly once and isn't interested in playing any more until someone pulls the stick out of his backside. The new run animation is the worst thing ever...I don't know how you can stand it K.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by NameAlreadyTaken View Post
    The new run animation is the worst thing ever...I don't know how you can stand it K.

btw: it's a really bad idea to google search "Jameson" for pics of the whiskey w/o also adding "irish whiskey" to the search parameters. totally a duh moment, but thank god I work for IT, and at a university.
    [/color]

Yeah, the 1780 really does make everything better doesn't it? I can't use it as a crutch for LotRO though or I'll blow through all my good booze far too fast.
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    btw: it's a really bad idea to google search "Jameson" for pics of the whiskey w/o also adding "irish whiskey" to the search parameters. totally a duh moment, but thank god I work for IT, and at a university.
    hahahahahaha
    \\ Rawlor \\ Unpossible \\ Durglar \\
    ...::: Brandywine :::...

Wow, so many responses! I'm waiting for my hunter to be transferred to Landroval now because I love the community so much, but it's taking a looooong time and I'm having bag space issues since I can't use the auction house. Also, apparently any skirmish progress I make will be lost in the swap, so I can't do that as well. Perhaps I'll try rolling a RK on Landroval while I'm waiting for my hunter to move over and see how I like it. I'm not loving the idea of running those first 35 levels over again though. I've seen that part of the game at least four times, and so for that reason alone I have a feeling I'll end up sticking with my hunter. I'm not sure how much I'll be playing at end game anyways, so I'll be 80% of my time will be spent solo. Might as well play what I enjoy, although RK is looking pretty fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rawlor View Post
    hahahahahaha
    I know!

and the first thing that popped into my head was that's not whisk.... ohsh.... *closewindow*

how you can tell the REALLY drunk irish guy from the average male!
    [/color]

Just to put things in perspective...you'll spend more time finding one Legendary item you like at the level cap and leveling that it takes to get from 1-35. Make sure you have a class you like, those first few levels are really fairly short in comparison to what you'll be doing afterward.
    [/LEFT]

One thing to point out for the chap who doesn't want to use LIs, you could certainly use any of the crafted bows for 50+ toons, while they aren't as stellar as an LI *could* be, they are a fair subsitute and seem to be more logical then refusing to level above 50, which i would think over time would be impossible.

To answer the original OP's question: I would stick with Hunter if you enjoy it. By the time you are anywhere near the end game there will likely be a need for more Hunters. Our population has done nothing but decline for the past 7-10 months....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000040366/signature.png]Evad[/charsig]
    [color=silver][i]"Intelligence is my bow, cunning are my arrows, and wisdom is my armor"[/i][/color]
    [color=lightgreen][b]If you experience a lag spike in real life, would you notice?[/b][/color]

While there is no shortage of hunters there is a lack of hunters with good grouping such as crowd control and agro management. That isn't a stab at anyone specifically just a comment that even though there might be a lot of one class the variety of ways that class can be played can make you stand out from the others.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000009b035/01003/signature.png]Reonath[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Reonath View Post
    While there is no shortage of hunters there is a lack of hunters with good grouping such as crowd control and agro management. That isn't a stab at anyone specifically just a comment that even though there might be a lot of one class the variety of ways that class can be played can make you stand out from the others.
    True statement - but not necessarily relevant to the OP's question since fellowships do not assess a Hunter's capabilities and skills prior to inviting them into the group.

So if you have too many Hunters, then you have too many Hunters. It doesn't matter that only 20% actually know how to play the Hunter class with, well, class!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000040366/signature.png]Evad[/charsig]
    [color=silver][i]"Intelligence is my bow, cunning are my arrows, and wisdom is my armor"[/i][/color]
    [color=lightgreen][b]If you experience a lag spike in real life, would you notice?[/b][/color]

I never get tired of the lower levels

And I support you continuing on your hunter. Unless you play at odd times and no absolutely no one you shoud'n't have any problems getting groups as a hunter.

there was a time (flashbacks to movie 'Lucky Number Slevin' on that comment ), when hunters grew like grass, and most of it was crab grass. but since the mighty nerf of hunters in the book that was (will go unnamed due to its massive evilness), most the nightflyers flew to supposed 'safer' pastures (I even remember the 'what class are you going to drop your hunter for' thread.)

Now, those that play the hunter are those that truely respect the pew-pew, and whilst i am an alt'er (thereby having no main), my 2 hunters are probably the most played toons I have, aside from my guardian (who probably gets the most play, as shes currently OP and seriously slams orc-buttocks)

Honestly, the combination of find the path (currently at 21% with LI, man I love that leg!), killing mobs before they get to me (still almost accomplishing that at 56), and the ability to port through 85% of volume 1, is a sheer winner for me. My RK got lost halfway thorugh book 10 :P too much travel!
    My alternate Personality is Elyxthaxzus. Plz dont confuse us, were actually quite different.

If you have fun playing a Hunter (or any class) then don't let ANYONE try to tell you to do otherwise. You won't have a difficult time finding a spot in groups, because all groups need DPS just as much as they need healing or CC.

The one thing that you learn rather quickly from playing MMOs is that you should never let other people dictate how you play your game. It's about fun, not about pleasing people that can't be pleased.