We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Skirmish Soldier Directability

I'm sure this has been brought up before but is there any plans in the works to be able to give pets more commands "heal this npc", "Stand here" "guard this npc" even to the point on being able to position certain soldiers during their natural movements like having Protectors stand beside you instead of in front of you etc? I think this is dearly needed, especially for herbalists and protectors etc.

Opinions and more ideas encouraged, or if this has been beat to death (which I'm sure it has but i didn't immediately see a thread dedicated to it) ignore me
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000369e1/01001/signature.png]Manhandsmagee[/charsig]
    [/center]

Re: Skirmish Soldier Directability

I would be happy with.... having ZERO control but them actually doing something. There seems to be a 50% chance he will stand next to you watching as something beats you to a bloody pulp. The other 50% of the time he'll pick a target (first that hits him or you)... and start auto-attacking it... sometimes using the abilities you've given him.

I've given my Soldier a self heal and I think i've seen him use it maybe twice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4enzix View Post
    I'm sure this has been brought up before but is there any plans in the works to be able to give pets more commands "heal this npc", "Stand here" "guard this npc" even to the point on being able to position certain soldiers during their natural movements like having Protectors stand beside you instead of in front of you etc? I think this is dearly needed, especially for herbalists and protectors etc.

Opinions and more ideas encouraged, or if this has been beat to death (which I'm sure it has but i didn't immediately see a thread dedicated to it) ignore me
    The skirmish devs have stated that we will not be seeing full on control of skirmish soldiers as it runs counter to the design of skirmishes and skirmish soldiers. Essentially, skirmishes are made for everyone and those who wanted pets with full control would have picked one of the pet classes to begin with. Also, adding full soldier control would require the content to somehow be balanced for both those who have mastered control of their soldiers and for those who just summon them and let them do whatever they want.

The devs have also stated that the soldiers we have now are works in progress and that they will be evolving over time.

That said, I certainly wouldn't object to some base controls like "Stay" or, at the minimum, a shorter cooldown on the Direct Solider button. Some sort of slottable "personality" would be great too so you could have your soldier behave more cautiously, aggressively, protectively, etc. based on which personality trait you slot. Also nice would be a way to tie what slot you put a skill in to how often that skill gets used. This is all simple stuff that, imo, wouldn't in any way break the skirmish design plan, it would simply make the existing AI of the soldiers more customizable without requiring any more direct player controlling.
    Last edited by ShinryuLOTR; Mar 19 2010 at 10:11 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2121f000000132226/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by ShinryuLOTR View Post
    The skirmish devs have stated that we will not be seeing full on control of skirmish soldiers as it runs conuter to the design of skirmishes and skirmish soldiers. Essentially, skirmishes are made for everyone and those who wanted pets with full control would have picked one of the pet classes to begin with. Also, adding full soldier control would require the content to somehow be balanced for both those who have mastered control of their soldiers and for those who just summon them and let them do whatever they want.

The devs have also stated that the soldiers we have now are works in progress and that they will be evolving over time.

That said, I certainly wouldn't object to some base controls like "Stay" or, at the minimum, a shorter cooldown on the Direct Solider button. Some sort of slottable "personality" would be great too so you could have your soldier behave more cautiously, aggressively, protectively, etc. based on which personality trait you slot. Also nice would be a way to tie what slot you put a skill in to how often that skill gets used. This is all simple stuff that, imo, wouldn't in any way break the skirmish design plan, it would simply make the existing AI of the soldiers more customizable without requiring any more direct player controlling.
    not full control, however some soldiers merit more control... or even as was said, more sensible actions by soldiers
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000369e1/01001/signature.png]Manhandsmagee[/charsig]
    [/center]

not full control, however some soldiers merit more control... or even as was said, more sensible actions by soldiers
    I do not see getting any addition control over our soldiers. Simply because so many people can not stand pets. Can not stand ordering them around.

The only thing I would really like is a shorter cool down on the attack command.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I do not see getting any addition control over our soldiers. Simply because so many people can not stand pets. Can not stand ordering them around.

The only thing I would really like is a shorter cool down on the attack command.
    ummmm well, then my answer is on a herbalist that attack command is useless and needs to be changed just for that soldier?
    [/center]

I think rather than having to micro-manage yet another pet, I'd be far happier if they actually fixed all the soldier AI routines to make them as useful as they were advertised to be.

We've all experienced the problems. Herbalists who stop healing, or spam their power regen on themselves while at full power. Warriors and Protectors who stand feet away from an attacking mob and do nothing, and the next moment will run 80 meters out of their way to attack something that is rooted or mezzed. I understand the whole skirmish system is relatively new and is in the process of being tweaked, adjusted and retooled over time. But really, such glaring examples of non-functioning AI should never have made it off the alpha-stage computers much less still aggravate the gaming populace nearly five months hence.

One thing I would like to see if that every level you raise your soldier, you shave anywhere from .1 to .25 seconds off the "attack" icon, eventually getting it down to within a couple of seconds. This, and having the solider actually stop what he's doing and comply with the new order when you issue the attack would make the soldiers head-and-shoulders above what they are currently.
    Weeeeeeee're baaaaaaack! :)

ummmm well, then my answer is on a herbalist that attack command is useless and needs to be changed just for that soldier?
    The attack command is necessary to get the herbalist to heal sometimes.

The idea behind soldiers is not to micro manage. They mostly do their own thing. They are about the same level of operation as my typical PUG buddy. Sadly they are often more competent. They at least know their skills are good for - use them. Instead of the typical burglar - why do you want me to use Addle?
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinryuLOTR View Post
    The skirmish devs have stated that we will not be seeing full on control of skirmish soldiers as it runs counter to the design of skirmishes and skirmish soldiers. Essentially, skirmishes are made for everyone and those who wanted pets with full control would have picked one of the pet classes to begin with. Also, adding full soldier control would require the content to somehow be balanced for both those who have mastered control of their soldiers and for those who just summon them and let them do whatever they want.

Yep I don't want to micro manage my soldier, I like just having the two commands (summon/attack), however given the current AI having a shorter CD might be good.

I only direct the soldier now when he does nothing, I tried using strategy but then not having the direct soldier up led to deaths. ;p But, maybe that is the intent of the horn, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonceleb View Post
    I think rather than having to micro-manage yet another pet, I'd be far happier if they actually fixed all the soldier AI routines to make them as useful as they were advertised to be.

We've all experienced the problems. Herbalists who stop healing, or spam their power regen on themselves while at full power. Warriors and Protectors who stand feet away from an attacking mob and do nothing, and the next moment will run 80 meters out of their way to attack something that is rooted or mezzed. I understand the whole skirmish system is relatively new and is in the process of being tweaked, adjusted and retooled over time. But really, such glaring examples of non-functioning AI should never have made it off the alpha-stage computers much less still aggravate the gaming populace nearly five months hence.

One thing I would like to see if that every level you raise your soldier, you shave anywhere from .1 to .25 seconds off the "attack" icon, eventually getting it down to within a couple of seconds. This, and having the solider actually stop what he's doing and comply with the new order when you issue the attack would make the soldiers head-and-shoulders above what they are currently.
    I have rank 20 warrior and protector, and I have to say I can't recall ever seeing them running off to attack cc'd targets. Or even attacking cc'd targets when there were other options. How often does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrv View Post
    I have rank 20 warrior and protector, and I have to say I can't recall ever seeing them running off to attack cc'd targets. Or even attacking cc'd targets when there were other options. How often does this happen?
    On my LM, it happens with frightening regularity. Usually what will happen is the dain-bramaged son of Elrond with the bow will shoot my mezzed target, followed by my equally dim-witted Warrior soldier. Even though my lurker pet may still be fighting one or more mobs much closer than the mezzed target.

It doesn't always happen, and I haven't found any consistent "triggers" which cause the behavior. But it happens enough where I just roll my eyes and groan when it does happen.
    Weeeeeeee're baaaaaaack! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Amonceleb View Post
    On my LM, it happens with frightening regularity. Usually what will happen is the dain-bramaged son of Elrond with the bow will shoot my mezzed target, followed by my equally dim-witted Warrior soldier. Even though my lurker pet may still be fighting one or more mobs much closer than the mezzed target.

It doesn't always happen, and I haven't found any consistent "triggers" which cause the behavior. But it happens enough where I just roll my eyes and groan when it does happen.
    Once the son of Elrond shoots the mezzed target, it is no longer mezzed, and thus your warrior is not breaking CC.

I have noticed this behavior, but I don't see how that is a soldier issue. I certainly don't want the soldier NOT attacking recently CC'd targets. That would be bad.