We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I'm just making sure...

That I am not an idiot.....

Today I was talking to two Hunters who both insisted that their level 60 2nd age bows are way better (even for damage) than any lvl 65 3rd age bow.

I just want to check this one last time - is there ANY reason to cling to a level 60 2nd age bow as a Hunter? I don't think there is, but these two would have bet all their gold to prove me wrong.

A Hunter's melee LI is a very different story, we are only talking about the bow here.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000040366/signature.png]Evad[/charsig]
    [color=silver][i]"Intelligence is my bow, cunning are my arrows, and wisdom is my armor"[/i][/color]
    [color=lightgreen][b]If you experience a lag spike in real life, would you notice?[/b][/color]

Re: I'm just making sure...

they're wrong. legacies don't make as much of a difference (for a hunter) than base DPS. yay for mixed blessings!
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

In before "It doesn't feel as good".
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by kerryak View Post
    they're wrong. legacies don't make as much of a difference (for a hunter) than base DPS. yay for mixed blessings!
    I don't have a decent level 65 bow leveled up yet to get max DPS out of it, but yeah, I can't imagine the legacies on a 2A level 60 making up for the raw DPS difference.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

The difference in DPS from my lvl 60 2nd Age Bow to my lvl 65 3rd Age Crossbow was very noticible even though my 2nd age had better legacies.
    “You are valuable because you exist. Not because of what you do or what you have done, but simply because you are.” –Max Lucado

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    I don't have a decent level 65 bow leveled up yet to get max DPS out of it, but yeah, I can't imagine the legacies on a 2A level 60 making up for the raw DPS difference.
    You'll love the 65 long time, especially w/ the magical relic of omgpwn. ^^

But mathwise, a 62 3A w/ good legs trumps a 60 1A w/ good legs. A 63 3A w/ bad legs trumps 60 FA w/ awesome legs. Hunter legacies actually contribute very little to overall DPS. They contribute (and in a *statistically* significant way) but the difference between two bows of the same age, one w/ great legs, and one @ 22 w/ max DPS and otherwise unleveled legacies, really isn't that notable.

The few parses I've run w/ such (limited, b/c of slotting identical relics - which I don't always have available b/c I'm a combine junkie) averaged around 5%. (vs pulpums, in MoM)

It might be a bit higher now w/ BA bleed, I haven't been grinding LIs just for parses. But I can't imagine that'd kick the average up more than 6%.
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
    I just want to check this one last time - is there ANY reason to cling to a level 60 2nd age bow as a Hunter?
    Reason: You haven't found a level 65 3rd age yet that has legacies you like.

Or: Stubbornness.

That's about it.

I don't begrudge anybody who has what they consider a perfect 1st/2nd Age not wanting to go through the process of grinding out 3rd Age bows. It's tedious, time-consuming, and based on random chance. Likewise, if they are not a kindred crafter and thus can't make the ranged offense/crit relic then the benefits of a 3rd Age 65 are lessened slightly.

But given roughly equivalent legacies, a 65 3rd Age will out-dps anything but a 65 2nd Age.
    Nemesis - Brandywine
    Jenith 100 Hunter || Gavigan 78 Guardian || Kazamir 76 Captain
    Gjorn 65 Champion || Anavel 65 Burglar || Thissis 100 Warden || Mezimus 70 Loremaster

A level 60 1st age bow with no legacies can out DPS a Level 60 2nd age bow with the best legacies. A level 65 3rd age bow with no legacies can out DPS a level 60 1st age bow with the best legacies. You just need to level up any a 65 3rd age bow to the point where you can max out the DPS and compare, the diffrence is obvious.

If you have BA bleed on your lvl 60 bow and you use the skill a lot your DPS might be equal or slightly better than a lvl 65 3rd age without this legacy.

it's 64 vs 96 damage from bleed on lvl 60 SA with maxed legacy
    and 80 vs 120 damage on lvl 65 SA I guess for lvl 65 TA it would be 70 vs 110.

But again it's much easier to get lvl 60 SA/FA to a good state where you can max out bleed and crit damage, power cost or block/evade and have more legacies (which you can replace with stats) than a lvl 65 TA

I still have my old lvl 60 SA which I use if I need to go down on DPS in a group for whatever reason.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000041967/01008/signature.png]Mithedhel[/charsig]

You run with tanks that can't hold aggro against you and you want lower dps maybe?

Nostalgia for the times when the devs liked to nerf the heck out of hunters and you want to experience the sinking feeling of a crowd of mobs tearing you to pieces due to your weak dps....

Ayrial is my 65 hunter, they are wrong the dps is night and day difference to a lvl 65 vs a 60 second age, get a 65 asap

You might be right MithQuessir, taking into account the BA bleed leg but I only see that possibly making a diffrence in a long extended fight.

The difference between a 65 third age and 65 second age is enough that people are paying hundreds of gold for a symbol, and the difference between a 65 third age and a 60 first age is MUCH MUCH GREATER than the difference between 65 TA and SA.

65 wins. Flawless victory.
    [font=Arial Black][b][color=red][size=2]Celebgurth[/color] - [color=#0066CC]65 [/color]Elf[color=#0066CC] Loremaster[/color] [color=red]Jemima Butterworth[/color] -[color=#0066CC] 65[/color] Woman [color=#0066CC]Hunter[/color] [color=red]Process Ofelimination[/color] - [color=#0066CC]65 [/color]Dwarf [color=#0066CC]Runekeeper[/color] [color=red]Acan Ofwhoopass[/color] - [color=#0066CC]65[/color] Hobbit[color=#0066CC] Guardian[/b][/color]
    [b][color=white]3 Brookbank Street, Pearbridge, Shire[/b][/color][/size][/font]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000007cef2/01000/signature.png]Jemima[/charsig]

As I was informed in a thread similar to this one, there is a thread a few pages back that discusses this. Don't read past the first few pages as it is an exercise in futility. Out of morbid curiosity, I did quite a bit of parsing between a kick *** lvl 60 second age bow and a meh lvl 65 third age and there was no comparisson. EDIT The third age won hands down every time.

To the person who stated something about BA bleed...even if the 65 third age didn't have that, the symbol of accuracy more than makes up for whatever the bleed might give you, IMHO.

In before the "I will cry without my lvl 60 bow that i raised from a wee baby and i refuse to let it go" nonsense...

Quote Originally Posted by MithQuessir View Post
    If you have BA bleed on your lvl 60 bow and you use the skill a lot your DPS might be equal or slightly better than a lvl 65 3rd age without this legacy.
    Maybe if it is the only skill you use?

LOL. Anyways just to be perfectly clear, although this thread and previous ones have already done this. There is ***NO*** situation where level 60 or lower bow of any age will do more damage than a 65. Ever. Maybe if you really tryed.

Don't try though, just get a 65. The first one. It doesn't matter. You have just upgraded yourself and can now go about the process of getting even better by finding a new level 65 with legs and stuff that suits you more.
    Last edited by Ryinnik; Mar 26 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120301000012cae0/signature.png]Ryinnakh[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Earedhel View Post
    As I was informed in a thread similar to this one, there is a thread a few pages back that discusses this. Don't read past the first few pages as it is an exercise in futility. Out of morbid curiosity, I did quite a bit of parsing between a kick *** lvl 60 second age bow and a meh lvl 65 third age and there was no comparisson. EDIT The third age won hands down every time.

To the person who stated something about BA bleed...even if the 65 third age didn't have that, the symbol of accuracy more than makes up for whatever the bleed might give you, IMHO.

In before the "I will cry without my lvl 60 bow that i raised from a wee baby and i refuse to let it go" nonsense...
    +390 RO from Symbol of Accuracy adds about +1-2 to top and bottom damage damage on your skills. It gives you +1 DPS in average during the fight. And legacy gives you about +10 DPS on lvl 60-65 DPS difference and about +20 DPS on lvl 65 with and without this legacy just don't forget to keep that bleed up.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000041967/01008/signature.png]Mithedhel[/charsig]