We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Shields

Shields

So my question as I run through the my.lotro profiles of many of the Wardens in end game content is why are so many using the [armour]Superior Warden's Shield of the Golden Host[/armour] over the [armour]Superb Warden's Shield of Lothlorien[/armour]? IMO which could be taken as nothing the Loth shield is better. Input please...

Re: Shields

I like the extra morale and Power and power regen from the mirkwood shield. The only benefit I see from the Lothlorien shield is the Melee defense, which you can cap without the shield in a buffed situation. (scrolls especially)
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

My only explanation might be that one is harder to get? I think the teal one is crafted. I use the teal one so I can't offer a better reason than that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000003b62c/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Originally Posted by [B]Graalx2 [/B]-Directed at Wardens!
    You guys!!! There is such a thing as being too efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    I like the extra morale and Power and power regen from the mirkwood shield. The only benefit I see from the Lothlorien shield is the Melee defense, which you can cap without the shield in a buffed situation. (scrolls especially)
    Yeah comparing the two I might upgrade to the purple one too for the extra morale and the ICPR.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000003b62c/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Originally Posted by [B]Graalx2 [/B]-Directed at Wardens!
    You guys!!! There is such a thing as being too efficient.

As others have touched on, the Mirkwood shield offers more ICPR and higher crit defense.

I actually use both pretty regularly depending on what I am doing. but, for instances and raids, I prefer the Mirk shield for the ICPR and crit defense.

It is really nice having 1600+ ICPR without buffs.

Alright thanks for all the input guys. I guys I'll keep a purple one in my bag.

Situational for me really.

Loth shield has extra block rating so I use it when traited spear because I lose the block rating from traiting shield line.
    Hurth, Warden
    Barst, Guardian
    Xiox, Reaver

I currently use the Turtle shield, with is basically the purple loth shield except instead of +197 morale, it has +20 fate and +252 block... I already cap without the additional +252 when buffed so that is not really a concern, so I will try and get someone from my kin to make me up the purple lorien shield
    2019 - current : Kinship: There and Back Again (Anor)
    Garcimili - 85 RK /// Garcimli - 85 GRD
    2008 - 2013 : Kinship: Viaticus (Windy), Apex (Elemindir)
    Garcimili - 85 GRD /// Arthilios - 85 HTR /// RonSwanson - Defiler

I carry 'em both. I will "wear" the mirk one more, just because I am sick of looking at the same shield I was using at 60, but will switch when the situation calls for it.
    Baladin - 65 Dwarf Rune-keeper, Balabo - 65 Hobbit Burglar, Balaroc - 62 Hobbit Guardian, Baladonna - 54 Hobbit Hunter, Balagrim - 41 Dwarf Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SCHawks73 View Post
    I currently use the Turtle shield, with is basically the purple loth shield except instead of +197 morale, it has +20 fate and +252 block... I already cap without the additional +252 when buffed so that is not really a concern, so I will try and get someone from my kin to make me up the purple lorien shield
    Going past the cap never hurt, though. When fighting raid bosses that outlevel you, it helps, sure, but... If I go all out with buffs I've gotten myself up to a combined 23.9% between block and partial block. Nothing to sneeze at considering partial block with a rating that high will still mitigate over 1/3rd of the damage from a melee hit of any damage type. Don't have exact numbers as I'm at work right now but partials are nothing to sneeze at. I agree though that with all our buffs the +252 is not a big concern.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20200000013d3e9/signature.png]Derrial[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

I'm actually using [armour]Bregram[/armour] over [armour]Superior Warden's Shield of the Golden Host[/armour] and [armour]Superb Warden's Shield of Lothlorien[/armour].
    Echthalion - 75 WaRden [R1] / Kivech - Level 75 Hunter [R6] / Fafnhir- Level 75 Champion [R2] / Aranlith - Level 68 Minstrel [R1] / Mormegel - Level 66 Burglar [R2] / Arvegel - Level 66 Captain [R1] / Djormur - Level 66 Sith Lord [R0]

I carry both shields and swap them out depending on what I'm doing. Have a few other "optional" pieces I carry around too - bracelet, gloves, etc.
    THE WARDENS: Somany ~ Teasle ~ Vvardyn ~ Kivrin ~ Gnormen
    THE OTHERS: Abaninh ~ Arimyn ~ Bilba ~ Boxe ~ Ceil ~ Dynari ~ Elalhael ~ Faragh ~ Feynriel ~ Giyn
    Greyscale ~ Helera ~ Iztariani ~ Jerabor ~ Knarlie ~ Leafwyn ~ Magpye ~ Merrimor ~ Miffy
    Nowt ~ Orri ~ Pantree ~ Parrs ~ Rothruin ~ Sebris ~ Sofew ~ Tisane ~ Yorista

Quote Originally Posted by vodspeedkills View Post
    So my question as I run through the my.lotro profiles of many of the Wardens in end game content is why are so many using the [armour]Superior Warden's Shield of the Golden Host[/armour] over the [armour]Superb Warden's Shield of Lothlorien[/armour]? IMO which could be taken as nothing the Loth shield is better. Input please...
    Phoebus, i use the mirk shield for easy content and grinding for the extra moral and +icpr, for harder content i use the loth shield because i basically want the melee defense. I also have some other gear i swap out for grinding/soloing and all around easy content. The Loth shield is better overall but the mirk shield looks cooler imo, and looks > stats

on a side note.....somany i think you made my mirk shield
    Last edited by sunaris; Mar 29 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000012ed2b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

14. Mar 29 2010, 07:01 PM

I'm using the +incoming heals shield from Sword Halls for grouping, since my melee defence is still near cap without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunaris View Post
    on a side note.....somany i think you made my mirk shield
    I think she made my Tawarwaith Gloves of the Gloaming too.

Edit: Someone's been stealing from my housing chests, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by jeedai View Post
    I'm using the +incoming heals shield from Sword Halls for grouping, since my melee defence is still near cap without it.

I think she made my Tawarwaith Gloves of the Gloaming too.

Edit: Someone's been stealing from my housing chests, I see.

LOL..... that's to funny. Thanks for the fortune's!! i even left them in the right order
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000012ed2b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by sunaris View Post
    Phoebus, i use the mirk shield for easy content and grinding for the extra moral and +icpr, for harder content i use the loth shield because i basically want the melee defense. I also have some other gear i swap out for grinding/soloing and all around easy content.
    Same for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019d475/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Nightmares - 30 Hobbit Warden - Riddermark
    Endaa - 65 Man Warden - Brandywine
    Enda - 65 Hobbit Burglar - Brandywine
    Suvi - 65 Elf Hunter - Brandywine

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I had a kinmate go ahead and craft up the purple shield for me. I'll rock it and see how it goes. Me being a Tall Warden (man) I prefer the teal for cosmetics, just FYI...

I still use [item]Filecthan[/item] quite often. Can't go past it for common damage.

Not sure why the autolinking is broken for it, nonetheless a great shield.
    [b]Elendilmir[/b] - Urgankh - Warleader, Enhereth - Weaver, Drogul - Dwarf Minstrel, Farrago - Warden
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100000622d6/signature.png]Urgankh[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Lonectzn View Post
    I still use [item]Filecthan[/item] quite often. Can't go past it for common damage.

Not sure why the autolinking is broken for it, nonetheless a great shield.
    FYI its because you used [ item ] tags instead fo [ armour ]. [armour]Filecthan[/armour] which isn't showing its negate bonus on this tooltip, was it removed?

Quote Originally Posted by vodspeedkills View Post
    FYI its because you used [ item ] tags instead fo [ armour ]. [armour]Filecthan[/armour] which isn't showing its negate bonus on this tooltip, was it removed?
    No, the negate bonus is still in game.