We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trick kiting in PvP

How exactly does this work?

I understand that, with the trick range legacy, this is a viable option against high ranked reavers, but how is this used? What skills and tricks are used?

Also, I'm curious to hear what experienced burgs use as their defacto debuff on ranked reavers and wargs. Traited counterdefense, disable, etc.
    Third Marshal Rubicon Guardian ~ Third Marshal Raae Minstrel
    Commander Danceswithwargs Reaver ~ Taskmaster Whiskeytangofoxtrot Spider
    Commander Verkaufsschlacker Lore-master ~ Lieutenant Rivaalan Hunter
    ~ No Mercy ~

Re: Trick kiting in PvP

Really? No one knows how to trick kite?
    ~ No Mercy ~

Silly hunter.

To trick kite, you need to have the Trick Range legacy on your weapon maxed out, which gives you +5.0 range to your tricks for a total of 8.0 Range.

Afterward, you just keep Dust on the target, which will apply two debuffs components(Slow and Miss Chance). You can just then proceed to alternate between Counter Defence and Disable for the damage output from a 8.0 Range (Which will remove the Miss Chance component of Dust while leaving the minus Movement Speed) while always making sure to keep the slow debuff up.

The Reaver has no way to close the gap, so it's a slow death because he cannot do anything.

As for your last question, well for Reavers, it pretty much just got explained up here. For Wargs, I will use Improved Counter Defence. For Spiders, I always keep the slow component of Dust on and use Improved Counter Defence. For BAs and Warleaders, you just strafe and Addle + Improved Counter Defence while laughing. Defilers, ain't worth the trouble.
    Last edited by Celestialdemons; Aug 17 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarity
    - Edheluilas : 68 Champion - Edheluila : 75 Hunter - Ceolhem : 75 Burglar - Dwormurin : 65 Guardian - Andryella : 55 Loremaster -Darkwill : 65 Captain
    Members of Insurrection

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialdemons View Post
    Silly hunter.

To trick kite, you need to have the Trick Range legacy on your weapon maxed out, which gives you +5.0 range to your tricks for a total of 8.0 Range.

Afterward, you just keep Dust on the target, which will apply two debuffs (Slow and Miss Chance). You can just then proceed to CD and Disable from a 8.0 Range while always making sure to keep the slow debuff up.

The Reaver has no way to close the gap, so it's a slow death because he cannot do anything.

As for your last question, well for Reavers, it pretty much just got explained up here. For Wargs, I will use Improved Counter Defence. For Spiders, I always keep the slow component of Dust on and use Improved Counter Defence. For BAs and Warleaders, you just strafe and Addle + Improved Counter Defence while laughing. Defilers, ain't worth the trouble.
    Er, what? How are you proposing to keep two tricks on at once?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000083afc/01003/signature.png]Etheldwyn[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Etheldwyn View Post
    Er, what? How are you proposing to keep two tricks on at once?
    He means alternate disable and CD for the main hand damage I think.
    [color=cyan]Ryswald[/color] - 75 Burglar - Revelations - Rank 9 (pre-book 12 rank 6)
    [color=orange]Ragluk[/color] - 75 Stalker - Rank 6
    [color=grey]65 Hunter R5, 61 Loremaster, 48 Champion, 33 WRD, 33 RK, Rank 4 Weaver, Rank 6 Reaver[/color]
    [i]Firefoot Server[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftstrike View Post
    He means alternate disable and CD for the main hand damage I think.
    This is correct.

I will admit it wasn't very clear. I'll edit my post to make it clearer.
    - Edheluilas : 68 Champion - Edheluila : 75 Hunter - Ceolhem : 75 Burglar - Dwormurin : 65 Guardian - Andryella : 55 Loremaster -Darkwill : 65 Captain
    Members of Insurrection

It's a boring way to win, but it's guaranteed as long as nothing else shows up to interfere or unless the reaver has a place to run nearby.
    [CENTER][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=pink]S[SIZE=1]TROZZAPRETI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 10/X6|[COLOR=olive]R[SIZE=1]IGATONI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 8|[COLOR=red]G[SIZE=1]NOCCHI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 7|[COLOR=blue]M[SIZE=1]ACCHERONI[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] 7|[COLOR=yellow]R[SIZE=1]AVIOLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6|[COLOR=orange]F[SIZE=1]USILLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6
    A[SIZE=1]STERIX[/SIZE]|C[SIZE=1]HARAKHA[/SIZE]|K[SIZE=1]HAGATAI[/SIZE]|V[SIZE=1]ORO[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Playing on JQ in GW2
    [/CENTER]

yeah its really not that great, you say you use this on spiders though, how would that even work? Spiders have ranged attacks and warleaders can probably shout harder than tricks hit for with all his resistance. If they get anywhere close to dying there's always uruk heal and keep on shouting.
    Alaek: elven guardian of Brandywine
    "War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise" quote by Faramir

Quote Originally Posted by lescastor;4905230e joke dps
    yeah its really not that great, you say you use this on spiders though, how would that even work? Spiders have ranged attacks and warleaders can probably shout harder than tricks hit for with all his resistance. If they get anywhere close to dying there's always uruk heal and keep on shouting.
    Warleaders have joke dps just interupt them and dps them down.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001f3407/01005/signature.png]Laserbear[/charsig]

Always hunting wabbits (and wargs).

I have this, thank god.

Afterward, you just keep Dust on the target, which will apply two debuffs components(Slow and Miss Chance). You can just then proceed to alternate between Counter Defence and Disable for the damage output from a 8.0 Range (Which will remove the Miss Chance component of Dust while leaving the minus Movement Speed) while always making sure to keep the slow debuff up.

Yes, that's what I understood to be trick kiting, however, how do you dps a reaver down while standing 8.0m away? You'd need to be within the reaver's range to dps, eh? Unless there's a way to pew pew from 8.0m
    ~ No Mercy ~

Quote Originally Posted by lescastor View Post
    He didn't say he trick-kites WLs and Spiders. He was answering the OP's last question about which tricks to put on certain classes.
    [b]Dolcrist[/b] [I]Call to Arms[/I]
    [b]Unguluk[/b] [i]Abyss[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by Brelithion View Post
    He didn't say he trick-kites WLs and Spiders. He was answering the OP's last question about which tricks to put on certain classes.
    That's correct. BAs, WLs, most spiders, and most wargs aren't really a problem. Reavers are just.....ridiculous.
    ~ No Mercy ~

Quote Originally Posted by RGilthanas View Post
    I have this, thank god.

Yes, that's what I understood to be trick kiting, however, how do you dps a reaver down while standing 8.0m away? You'd need to be within the reaver's range to dps, eh? Unless there's a way to pew pew from 8.0m
    You DPS using your two main-hand dmg tricks, CD and Disable. Nothing else. Like others have said, it can be a little bit slow.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019f02d/01008/signature.png]Vollie[/charsig]
    [url]http://nemesis-kin.com/news.php[/url] / [url=http://www.lordofthelogs.com]Lord of the Logs.com - A CStats Parse Sharing Service[/url]
    Viros 63 r5 Mini/ Virgon 65 r7 Hunter/ Virodir 65 Champ/ Virogon 65 Warden
    Grothmir r7 Warg/ Virograh! r4 Reaver/ / Glorat r3 Warleader

I have this, thank god.

To be specific he is saying that you have 2 TRICKS, which can be used from 8 meters away that also give damage. Both counter defense and disable have DAMAGE in addition to the trick. He is saying use those tricks and keep putting DiTE on the reaver. It will take you forever to kill him, but he won't be able to hit you as long as you keep using DiTE.

Totally cheap way to win. If I didn't like a guy I'd use it just to piss him off

Here's a question, what happens when the reaver hits "charge"?
    Last edited by DopplersRadar; Aug 17 2010 at 03:07 PM.

Keep tabs on his Resilience and Stun Pot cooldowns along with the DR timer. Tricks Range applies to trick-removals as well, so CR, MG, and Twist benefit from the range. You can easily get a twist off and get a few hits in that way. Alternatively, if you are gambler spec'd that twist can give some extra damage through the DoT.

I have this, thank god.

Counter Defense and Disable do a small amount of damage as well as applying the trick (200 or so damage). So in theory you can whittle them down with just hitting them with those 2 trick on the run out of melee range.

This also works on stuff like the lightning boss in SG...you can hide in the corner and 'dps' by throwing those 2 tricks at him over and over. Not much, but I guess it helps.

Ahhh, I gotcha now. That is definitely a cheap way to win, and by the time I would even finish a slow 1v1 like that, I'd most likely get run over by other "solo" creeps.

Anyone ever consider Knives out? The -30% (iirc) incoming damage and the reflect is pretty sweet, however I've still lost a few times with it. The numbers would say that Knives out is probably better than TnG, since evade doesn't work like it used to. I suspect using disable, plus KO would be ideal?
    ~ No Mercy ~

When im fighting a high ranked reaver, (slyc/beatlejuice) i use non-traited dust. and gambler. when the reaver charges, throw dust to add miss chance, then kite till after charge. then alternate between disable/dust as u need to kite/dmg. kite-run in and attack-kite- etc. always have disable up while fighting tho.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002ad5e2/01005/signature.png]Foxz[/charsig]

Ahhh, I gotcha now. That is definitely a cheap way to win, and by the time I would even finish a slow 1v1 like that, I'd most likely get run over by other "solo" creeps.

Anyone ever consider Knives out? The -30% (iirc) incoming damage and the reflect is pretty sweet, however I've still lost a few times with it. The numbers would say that Knives out is probably better than TnG, since evade doesn't work like it used to. I suspect using disable, plus KO would be ideal?
    -63% incoming damage (30% KO + 20% KO legacy on a clicky + 13% melee def from traits) is certainly nice
    [color=cyan]Ryswald[/color] - 75 Burglar - Revelations - Rank 9 (pre-book 12 rank 6)
    [color=grey]65 Hunter R5, 61 Loremaster, 48 Champion, 33 WRD, 33 RK, Rank 4 Weaver, Rank 6 Reaver[/color]
    [i]Firefoot Server[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftstrike View Post
    20% KO legacy on a clicky
    I don't (and will never) have one. I'm jealous

This tactic is not a viable way to beat a reaver. I have had two different burglars try this on me and all I did was find the nearest tree and play ring around the rosie. I may not be the best burg on Ark but I know beating a R7+ reaver forces me to use RnA TnG twice and all my FM's. I always go for the all damage specced or all health specced reavers because any reaver who slots crit protection is just not worth my time.
    Last edited by crowthorne; Aug 17 2010 at 10:33 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032070000000c1c0f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Don't forget, you still have trick removals at 8m.

Even if he hamstrings you, you can always escape back into the 3.5-8m range because DiTEs>Hamstring. You can apply some form of CC, do an Aim-SS, and sally away again while he is recovering.

But as I said, it's a very boring way to win.
    Last edited by Rainyman; Aug 17 2010 at 10:52 PM.
    [CENTER][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=pink]S[SIZE=1]TROZZAPRETI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 10/X6|[COLOR=olive]R[SIZE=1]IGATONI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 8|[COLOR=red]G[SIZE=1]NOCCHI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 7|[COLOR=blue]M[SIZE=1]ACCHERONI[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] 7|[COLOR=yellow]R[SIZE=1]AVIOLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6|[COLOR=orange]F[SIZE=1]USILLI[/SIZE][/COLOR] 6
    A[SIZE=1]STERIX[/SIZE]|C[SIZE=1]HARAKHA[/SIZE]|K[SIZE=1]HAGATAI[/SIZE]|V[SIZE=1]ORO[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Playing on JQ in GW2
    [/CENTER]

....and then Dust gets resisted 4 times in a row...commonly.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="Yellow"]I guarantee your level 65 r0 greenie BA will contribute more to your Creep raid than my level 2 Minstrel will contribute to my Freep raid. After all, both took about 5 seconds to create.[/COLOR][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000085aec/signature.png]Chea[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Brelithion View Post
    I don't (and will never) have one. I'm jealous
    I know a guy that found a 56 mace on an alt ID'ed with the legacy and sold the mace for 60g. Have faith!
    [i]Firefoot Server[/i]

This thread is great, but I don't see how kiting with these tricks will work against high level reavers who have that HoT.
    Like Gil-1 or Gi.. or whatever his name is from Landy.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][color=#3333FF][b][size=3][center] -| Commander Borfinn - R11 Guardian |-[/size] [/b][color=#B22222][size=3]| Harvester Of Hatred |[/size][/color]
    | Disciples Of The Watch |[/center][/color][/font]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast