We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Curseforge has a lotro sub? Hmmm

Hmm. Just noticed they have the subdomain and sections set up.

http://lotro.curseforge.com

Anyone care to submit an addon to see if it works?
    [I]Heroes are made when you make a choice - Superchic[k][/I]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000163c7f/01007/signature.png]Cloudbirth[/charsig]
    [URL="http://www.google.com/profiles/manorton"]My Google Profile[/URL] - Follow me on Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/manorton"]manorton[/URL]

Re: Curseforge has a lotro sub? Hmmm

ya...have heard not good things about curse.

personally i would stay with lotrointeface or even try the new kid at lotroplugins.

I never had an issue with Curse when I played WoW. I was able to download all of my addons (15+) there whenever I needed too.

It all comes down to who you want to get the money. All the sites will make advertising money based on traffic. I would rather give it to Curse than one of the lotro specific sites, that are pushing for more and more addons here in lotro to increase their traffic and advertising dollars.
    Last edited by Bradd; Sep 06 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradd View Post
    I would rather give it to Curse than one of the lotro specific sites, that are pushing for more and more addons to increase their traffic and advertising dollars.
    Uhh? This doesn't make sense to me. Please elaborate/explain.

Websites make money from advertising on their site. The more traffic your site has, the more money you make from companies that advertise on your site.

If your site has addons, you want there to be a lot of addons for people to download. so you will have a lot of traffic - and hence a lot of advertising dollars.

If/when LOTRO becomes like WoW, with addons required to do almost any content, the websites will have an enormous amount of traffic. Those sites have an incentive to push for LOTRO to have addons like WoW's, to increase their revenue.

The only people who benefit from LOTRO having more and more addons, are the website owners and the people who design the addons.
    Last edited by Bradd; Sep 06 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Actually if they can get it to work with the curse downloader, it will be GREAT! I use this for WoW and it makes managing downloads a dream (and not a chore).

I use Curse for AOC and find it very helpful. The downloadable UIs made by players themsleves are awesome. Can't wait for the LOTRO ones.

Any company that buys out other websites just because they are afraid of honest competition is no good in my book. Greed, always begets greed.
    "Netiquette goes a long way and anonymity on the Internet is no reason to carelessly ignore that."

Quote Originally Posted by Borrhavan View Post
    Any company that buys out other websites just because they are afraid of honest competition is no good in my book. Greed, always begets greed.
    As the saying goes - it takes two to tango. It's not as if those being bought out had no choice in the matter and it's just as rational to have no respect for sites that are willing to be bought out. After all, if the owners of these sites were actually trying to compete, or had any goals other than just making money - they wouldn't have been bought out.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Bradd View Post
    I never had an issue with Curse when I played WoW. I was able to download all of my addons (15+) there whenever I needed too.

It all comes down to who you want to get the money. All the sites will make advertising money based on traffic. I would rather give it to Curse than one of the lotro specific sites, that are pushing for more and more addons here in lotro to increase their traffic and advertising dollars.
    Then you should go to lotrointeface since it's a developer community. Also they support WoW , EQ, EQ2 and one other the slips my mind, they simply chose to run url for each game rather than centralizing off a main page.
    Hrolief - Landrovel

Quote Originally Posted by Beolron View Post
    Then you should go to lotrointeface since it's a developer community. Also they support WoW , EQ, EQ2 and one other the slips my mind, they simply chose to run url for each game rather than centralizing off a main page.
    This ^^^^^^^

Lotrointerface has been there since the beginning and really deserves the communities support. If Lotroplugins does a good job, I'm also willing to give them a chance. I don't like sites like Curse that have had no interest in LOTRO all of a sudden try go and jump into the game.
    [font="Verdana"][size=1]Freeps: [/size][b][url=http://my.lotro.com/character/gladden/maelstrom/]Maelstrom[/url][/b] [size=1]- LoreMaster lvl65 - Rank 6[/size] :: [b][url=http://my.lotro.com/character/gladden/gwaran/]Gwaran[/url][/b] [size=1]- Guardian lvl64[/size]
    [size=1]Creeps: [/size] [b][url=http://my.lotro.com/character/gladden/maktrm/]Maktrm[/url][/b] [size=1]- Warg - Rank 4[/size]
    [size=1]Gladden Server[/size][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by Beolron View Post
    CurseForge is also a "developer community".

And LOTROInterface is now owned by ZAM, which has a bit of a shady past. (Not to disparage the fine work of Cairenn and her team. We know ZAM got out of the gold-selling business long before they bought your sites.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mael5trom View Post
    This ^^^^^^^

Lotrointerface has been there since the beginning and really deserves the communities support. If Lotroplugins does a good job, I'm also willing to give them a chance. I don't like sites like Curse that have had no interest in LOTRO all of a sudden try go and jump into the game.
    Been going to their sites since SoV released for EQ way back when. good community, oh and Vanguard (the day the vision died) is the one I couldn't remember, but i don't think that site gets a ton of activity.
    Hrolief - Landrovel

Quote Originally Posted by Mael5trom View Post
    This ^^^^^^^

I think you may misjudge the amount of work the company has put into LOTROInterface as compared to its main site, WoWInterface.

It's "been there since the beginning" because it was a revenue opportunity (albeit limited). They do deserve praise, however, for keeping it up and running all these years, despite those limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    CurseForge is also a "developer community".

And LOTROInterface is now owned by ZAM, which has a bit of a shady past. (Not to disparage the fine work of Cairenn and her team. We know ZAM got out of the gold-selling business long before they bought your sites.)
    I did not know Zam had also bought these sites...great, the link

http://www.mmoui.com/

lets me hit a central location for the variuos game links, would not have found it if you had not of said so. Didn't know they owned Thottbot either.

As far as the Curse community goes, I wasn't attacking them, i used them when I played WoW , My point was that LOTROInterface project wasn't some lone basement specialty page pushing clicks for payoff as suggested. now I need to go look over what curse is doing as well
    Last edited by Beolron; Sep 07 2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Hrolief - Landrovel

Yup, they are all equal opportunists.

However, I agree that LOTROInterface has the advantage of an established LOTRO skinning community. There's a certain comfort level and familiarity there that other sites will be hard-pressed to win over.

Curse were great for WoW, as well as for W:AR. However, LotROInterface has been there trucking on since the beginnings, so they probably deserve the support of the community more.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]