We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

TonicBars unexplained error

Ive been using TonicBars, and out of the blue last night it crashed, saying that it couldnt find the shortcut to a file that does exist in the correct folder. I havent been able to get TonicBars operational again since then. Any suggestions?
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]

Re: TonicBars unexplained error

Sounds like something you linked to the Plugin is no longer in your possession. I did something similar with the travel plugin today. I fixed it by going to

mydocuments/lotro/plugindata/username/server/charactername

It looks like all the data files from your plug ins are saved there. So I just deleted the data file for the plug I goofed up and then set the plug in up again.

The file you probably will want is Tonicbarsettings it looks to contain the data that is probably corrupted.

If you delete it and then reload Tonicbars you should be able to set it up again.

Of course I just started playing with the plug ins today so I could be out in left field.

"Live and Let Die"

Quote Originally Posted by Aidus View Post
    Sounds like something you linked to the Plugin is no longer in your possession. I did something similar with the travel plugin today. I fixed it by going to

mydocuments/lotro/plugindata/username/server/charactername

It looks like all the data files from your plug ins are saved there. So I just deleted the data file for the plug I goofed up and then set the plug in up again.

The file you probably will want is Tonicbarsettings it looks to contain the data that is probably corrupted.

If you delete it and then reload Tonicbars you should be able to set it up again.

Of course I just started playing with the plug ins today so I could be out in left field.
    These are some very good suggestions. Sadly, I think this might be a Turbine issue. I was looking into a problem someone reported on LOTROInterace.com. The person used the bars to track resources for crafting... as they crafted the resources were dropped to 0. When that occurred the entire client crashed. When they loaded it back up, they couldn't load TonicBars again. This appears to be because the link the shortcut was trying to be made to didn't exist anymore.

The problem is that the API doesn't allow me to change any of this. I am not sure if we have the abilities with the current API to prevent this. I will open a Turbine Bug on it. Other than that and the suggestions that Aidus has made, my apologies!
    "Shepherds of the Forest" -- RIP

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearTonic View Post
    These are some very good suggestions. Sadly, I think this might be a Turbine issue. I was looking into a problem someone reported on LOTROInterace.com. The person used the bars to track resources for crafting... as they crafted the resources were dropped to 0. When that occurred the entire client crashed. When they loaded it back up, they couldn't load TonicBars again. This appears to be because the link the shortcut was trying to be made to didn't exist anymore.

The problem is that the API doesn't allow me to change any of this. I am not sure if we have the abilities with the current API to prevent this. I will open a Turbine Bug on it. Other than that and the suggestions that Aidus has made, my apologies!
    It's been my experience that the shortcuts/quickslots are really just one buggy mess all together, so this doesn't surprise me at all. I mean so far we have:

Client crashing whenever you reload a plugin without manually setting the shortcuts to nil before unloading.

GetQuantity() returning 0 if you add a single item to the quickslot

QuantityChanged not firing if the quantity in the quickslot drops from 1 to 0.

and now this. Since it's possible to access the backpack though - I'm wondering if it might be possible when loading up saved quickslots to run through what the user has in their backpack first, and match it to the related shortcut data. If no match is found then it simply doesn't get added.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

It did coincide with me popping a token and reducing the token quantity to zero if that helps at all. I might try wiping the settings files and have another go.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]

Just to add a little here,

My wife's TonicBars suddenly stopped working. It was during one of the very unstable server times and after a "soft disconnect" she went to reload plugins and couldn't get Tonic back working.

Looking into it a bit I found that somehow the wrapper file had gone missing.

Interestingly I haven't had an issue on my characters.
    [CENTER][img]http://www.djelle.dk/sig-lotro.jpg?&f=gp&id=7697947&lo=0e0c0e111pp10&t1=Gedachtnis&u=ironyandspite.guildportal.com&k=Irony%20and%20Spite&i=www.axiomfiles.com/Files/375005/Copy%2520of%2520Irony-and-Spite_LOGO1.jpg[/img]
    It's all to clear we are on our own.[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
    Since it's possible to access the backpack though - I'm wondering if it might be possible when loading up saved quickslots to run through what the user has in their backpack first, and match it to the related shortcut data. If no match is found then it simply doesn't get added.
    Utopia, I thought the same thing and started on a solution. But haven't gotten there yet. You know, little stuff, the wife, three kids under three... etc... :P
    Last edited by NuclearTonic; Sep 13 2010 at 12:37 PM.

Utopia, I thought the same thing and started on a solution. But haven't gotten there yet. You know, little stuff, the wife, three kids under three... etc... :P
    Yeah, I know how it goes - the girlfriend had her kids over for the weekend (6 & 12) - needless to say I got more done last night than I did over the entire weekend lol

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Does TonicBars wrap call to SetShortcut in a pcall? That should prevent any errors with invalid shortcuts. Quickslots can also be skills so you can't assume anything not matching in the backpack is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengoros View Post
    Does TonicBars wrap call to SetShortcut in a pcall? That should prevent any errors with invalid shortcuts. Quickslots can also be skills so you can't assume anything not matching in the backpack is invalid.
    No, I definitely am not using pcall... I didn't realize LUA had exceptions. Really cool, I'll give that a shot and see if it works.

As to checking the backpack I would have checked the type of the shortcut. If they type is 2 (which is the type causing the issue), then look it up in the BP. Again, that pursuit is purely experimental, we don't know yet if it'll work.
    Last edited by NuclearTonic; Sep 13 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Ok, pcall saves the day... I'm working up my official fix to this, an update will hopefully be available later in the day!

Official fix v0.8 can be found: http://lotrointerface.com/downloads/...d370-TonicBars
    Last edited by NuclearTonic; Sep 13 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks for the fix. Nuclear_Tonic. I love the utility of the plugin and was a bit dissappointed about not being able to use it.

Ok, pcall saves the day... I'm working up my official fix to this, an update will hopefully be available later in the day!

Official fix v0.8 can be found: http://lotrointerface.com/downloads/...d370-TonicBars
    Do you happen to have any documentation/snippets involving pcall? I'm not seeing it in the API documentation, and of course the beta forums took a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
    Do you happen to have any documentation/snippets involving pcall? I'm not seeing it in the API documentation, and of course the beta forums took a hike.
    Yeah, a few major references, but the one major one I found was: LUA 8.4 pcall Documentaton
    LUA 8.5 pcall Documentaton
    My code looks like this... not clean, but for such a problem, I did it as quick as I could.

Code:
    if ( pcall( SetShortcut, shortcut, qSlots, key ) == false ) then
         Turbine.Shell.WriteLine( "TonicBars has found an invalid quickslot, it has been removed, but you were saved by: Pengoros!!" );
         value = nil;
         dirty = true;
    end
    if (dirty == true) then
    	self:SaveQuickslots( bar, qSlots )
    end
    end
    function SetShortcut( shortcut, qSlots, key )
    	qSlots[key]:SetShortcut( shortcut );
    end

Quote Originally Posted by RusselDog View Post
    Thanks for the fix. Nuclear_Tonic. I love the utility of the plugin and was a bit dissappointed about not being able to use it.
    Just wait till you see what I have in-store next. :P V1.0 will be filled with features. I have quite a few cool things still to add. I'm hoping to get them in soon...

The biggest thing I have to fix before I push out a new version is how to handle backwards compatability.

Yeah, a few major references, but the one major one I found was: LUA 8.4 pcall Documentaton
    LUA 8.5 pcall Documentaton
    My code looks like this... not clean, but for such a problem, I did it as quick as I could.

Code:
    if ( pcall( SetShortcut, shortcut, qSlots, key ) == false ) then
         Turbine.Shell.WriteLine( "TonicBars has found an invalid quickslot, it has been removed, but you were saved by: Pengoros!!" );
         value = nil;
         dirty = true;
    end
    if (dirty == true) then
        self:SaveQuickslots( bar, qSlots )
    end
    end
    function SetShortcut( shortcut, qSlots, key )
        qSlots[key]:SetShortcut( shortcut );
    end
    Ah! so it's an actual Lua function - gotcha. Thanks a lot!