We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Lord of the ring Books are kinda boring.. sorry to say it.

I believe this sums up the thread:

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, found it boring, absurd, and contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their work, or of the kind of writing they evidently prefer. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by AgamemnonV2 View Post

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, found it boring, absurd, and contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their work, or of the kind of writing they evidently prefer. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Ding! You, good sir, win the thread.
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Ha! That's awesome. Thread over!
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

+rep for summing things up nicely, and also for having one of the funniest signatures I've seen on this forum.

Some must fight, so that all may be free.

Quote Originally Posted by GV-Tanith View Post
    +rep for summing things up nicely, and also for having one of the funniest signatures I've seen on this forum.

Although, it does have a typo in it. "You are own your own."
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

I like lotr movies and books but the books are more interesting and detailed

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    Although, it does have a typo in it. "You are own your own."
    Fixed! :P

----

I honestly dont see how someone could hate Tolkien, its hard to explain but when I read one of his books (The fellowship of the ring being my favorite) it gives me the same feeling I get when I listen to Charles Aznavour. Altought I must say, shame on me, that I found the french version better than the original one !
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000026eeb2/01003/signature.png]Garahan[/charsig]

Wink Re: Lord of the ring Books are kinda boring.. sorry to say it.

What about The Hobbit? That's my favorite book.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    You read the entire trilogy a dozen times in less than two years?, that's pretty amazing!

I've lost count of how many times I've read it, probably fifteen to twenty times, but that's in an almost fourty year time span, you described yourself as obsessed, I think that's putting it lightly. Also that's blindingly fast reading for a child of that age.
    Lol, am I a bookworm. It wasn't that great an accomplishment back then: no siblings, rubbish on telly, computer access restricted to weekends, little variety of books to choose from. Nowadays I've got to fight the urge to pick up FotR right after putting down RotK; otherwise I'd never get on with my mile-long to-read list.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001e250d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by kocsis View Post
    Nowadays I've got to fight the urge to pick up FotR right after putting down RotK; otherwise I'd never get on with my mile-long to-read list.
    I'm going through the same thing right now, albeit with the excuse to finish up putting notations on my Kindle

good to see this thread is full of people who know what they are talking about now. Side note, is there any way like through feedback to get that taunting thumbs up by the title removed? For some reason, its really starting to annoy me.
    The only thing that could make this game better is even more realistic trees. Especially in lorien Full immersion complete :D

Talking Re: Lord of the ring Books are kinda boring.. sorry to say it.

Well I see we have had a lot of responses. I finished the fellowship. Unfortuantely I was at wits end by the end of it. All the name and place dropping with no direct bearing. Read like an encyclopedia. Again, simply an opinion. I see some folks share it. Again, not personal and we are all entitled to our opinion.

Still, love the game and moives. Take care friend.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000040ae07/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

In my opinion LOTR books arent boring.

First time i heard about LOTR was when my friend suggested me to read the books(which he had them all and he wanted to borrow them to me to read them)
    He said to me that these books are really great but i just didnt seem to like it, i dont know why(i didnt even read them)
    So i didnt get the books

It was the movies that introduced me to LOTR and i got really amazed since then about LOTR

Then after years while i was on youtube i saw LOTRO

The reason i tried LOTRO was just the title ,you know the Lord of the Rings.
    I liked it a lot (and still do) and after that i read the Fellwoship of the Ring book just to understand more about LOTRO(and LOTR)

So basically it was the title(and the scenery i first saw randomly on youtube)that brought me to LOTRO and it was LOTRO that made me want to read the book

After so many years(since my friend suggest me to read the books) i read the book i understood many things about LOTRO and rp as well
    And i have to say that i never liked reading books, but this is special
    Last edited by Dankanthegood; Feb 06 2011 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamushark View Post
    I love the game and movies and I am trying my best to like the books. Last time I read them was 20 years ago in middle school.

But the books soo far are boring. Im in the middle of fellowship of the ring.

too many long boring poems and too much lore and names of stuff thats irrelevant.

please dont take this personally..

I was just wondering if others agree or feel the same way?
    No. Not at all. I love The LOTR books. And I love all of Tolkien's works. I am a huge fan of the Books but actually I am not a huge fan of the movies, and honestly... I am not sorry to say it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000172a05/signature.png]Amdur[/charsig]
    Can you tell I hate the farmer crafting profession?--^
    Wingol - Warden - Vilya - L32
    Gilhath - RNK - Vilya - L11
    Helglas - Captain - Vilya - L8

just an update a year later. Still on the second book, I just cant seem to finish it. Same complaints, it has not grown on me yet.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000040ae07/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

just an update a year later. Still on the second book, I just cant seem to finish it. Same complaints, it has not grown on me yet.
    I'm not a massive fan of them either. The Hobbit, The Sil and the Children of Hurin I find better.
    [b][color=lightblue]"[i]'Ai! ai!'[/i] wailed Legolas. [i]'A Rune-Keeper! A Rune-Keeper is come!'[/i]

Gimli stared with wide eyes. [i]'Tolkien's Bane!'[/i] he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face."[/color][/b]

Yeah, I had the same problem.
    After loving the movies and beeing filled with awe for LOTRO I decided to try and read the books. Couldn't even get past the Foreword Concerning Hobbits.
    Reading has never been my strong point though. Guess I got some ADD tendencies, but I just can't keep focused for that long.

In my case I found the movies, well not boring but not that interesting. It was just walking and fighting with some whispering and an OP elf jumping on oliphants or skateboarding.

Regarding the poetry(can it be much better then this?):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquuEMC0ei8

I'm inclined to agree with OP. I read the Harry Potter books pretty much yearly because they're written so well but I've only read LotR about 3 times. I prefer the LotR lore over the actually story.

I'm an avid reader, and have to agree that the books are slow at times.

Despite this, I am glad I made it through all three (and The Hobbit). The story is fantastic, even if the narration is bogged down with details. I do try to remember that this was written many years before my time, so it deserves some excusing for its extravagance.

To me, the fascination is in Tolkien's imagination - consider the things he dreamed into being and laid into existence on the page! He was a good storyteller, but a master craftsman.

Modern fantasy authors and fans owe an enormous debt to his brilliance.

All books are.

Not for me. I absolutely love his writing. One of my favorite parts is his introduction of Shelob, giving the history of her as she came in the story instead of "X" monster. The way he brought her in made it seem like she was real and it was actual history.

And I love the interactions between Sam and Gollum.

Read the books once a year since 1983 when I was in high school, and I was hooked.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I love the game and movies and I am trying my best to like the books. Last time I read them was 20 years ago in middle school.

But the books soo far are boring. Im in the middle of fellowship of the ring.

too many long boring poems and too much lore and names of stuff thats irrelevant.

please dont take this personally..

I was just wondering if others agree or feel the same way?
    Where did I put my torch and pitchfork? :P
    Cuthilion
    Children of Iluvatar
    Laurelin

Well, nobody can MAKE you like a book if you simply are not interested in, but I do disagree with your claim that it is boring. Yes, it gets slow at points, (Emyn Muil for me, perhaps elsewhere for others) but the rich descriptions of the world of Middle-Earth is what kept me engaged in the book.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000104486/01008/signature.png]Everferth[/charsig]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast