We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Re: What will it take to get more freeps in the Moors?

As stated in my earlier post, and being here also for over 3 years reading post much like we have here. Turbine has stated this that PvMP is not the main focus of the Game. Living through the exodus of Conan and afew others that came out and folks coming back after they found out it was not what they thought. Think of it this way alot of us have been plying games be they be MMOs or FPS, how many promise and deliver what they said. With that being said we have to deal with it and make it better from were we stand. It is only a small percentage that come out to the moors, and the hard fact is the Creep side needs Freeps. If there could be a dialogue between side to form battle nights, capture the bridge/outpost or whatever may be fun to bring out numbers. I still say pick a few creeps that can speak for thier side and may be a few from the Freep will step up and talk, I am willing to allow our Vent server to help if need be (or those folks can find another way of contact). I know egos can get in the way, but if both sides want to have a better time we need to put them away. If something does not happen then it will go down the tubes and become a Farm session out there. I really think it is up to us, those that play out there to make it better. As we know the Devs will not. That is my thoughts on this.

In Middle Earth from Beta 2

Re: What will it take to get more freeps in the Moors?

well as a regular in the moors and leader of Tragic Endings I am willing to attempt something on that order. as some may or may not know one of my freeps is my minnie Jaydyn a member of Crickets. I am normally on her in the mornings to early afternoons. late afternoon/early evening is when i usually swap to creepside. I am more than willing to receive mails to meet with leaders to set up things. Last night was very fun overall, though it took a little configuring on our side to compensate for all the heals the cappies/rks were putting out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214010000011aae/signature.png]Bigbaggie[/charsig]

Tinybaggie r8, Fiestyspitter r6,Traind r8, Jaydyn r6, Thistledown r6

I would also be happy to help coordinate, though I am no Notleh or Snicker - I do typically end up running most of the Raids I am part of. Perhaps Snicker can speak up here, as he can pull together quite a force?
    Ellouhollia - R13 - Hunter (BW) | Ellou - R10 - Guardian (BW) | Slye - R10 - Burglar (CH) | Borialys - R8 - Minstrel (BW)
    Freepstalker - R8 - Stalker (CH) | Freepstalker - R7 - Stalker (BW) | Allwrong - R7 - Warleader (BW)

I'm also willing to help set some things up... I don't have vent atm, but I've used it a lot in the past... also teamspeak. Sometimes I prefer not to lead raids, since it is hard to heal when leading...
    My ideas if we want to get a lot of people to join, would be this: We should probably set some times on weekends like friday sat sun in the evening (seems to be the time when most people are on). If theres enough people (seems like there has been lately), maybe we can choose a couple nights during the weekdays to setup times. I live on the east coast, and it seems like a lot of people are out between 8pm and 12pm, so 8pm EST seems like a good time.
    Also I would like to ask people who have both freeps and creeps to consider switching to whichever side needs more numbers in order to keep it fun and challenging. (only for ppl with freeps lvl 60+)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214010000065bb8/signature.png]Defilerawr[/charsig]
    Defilerawr/Garawr/Wargawr/Reavrawr/Grax
    "When people ask me if I roleplay, I say yes. I pretend to be myself all the time."

Problem is the Cool Down for being Freep, we cannot go Creep for sometime.

In Middle Earth from Beta 2

Turbine has needed to update freep rewards in the moors for a long time (think they may be updating pvmp armor in the near future). I think they should add skirm mark rewards to the freep quests to make them worthwhile and give an alternative to grinding skirms. This would get freeps out all over the map for the quests as well, instead of the stab/EC shuffle. Adding skirm marks would be very easy for Turbine and there would be no balance issues to worry about with the 98% of the pop that doesnt PvP as they can just continue running skirms as they are now.

Working on some freeps to play both sides myself and hope to roam the map and try and stay away from the typical EC fights. I'm usually not raided on creepside so if your outnumbered and want a solo fight I'm always up for 1v1s...win/lose always more fun then getting melted/mauled by a zerg
    GRUSM - REAVER, DUSKPAW - WARG, STIXM - WEAVER, GRUZGASH - BA

Quote Originally Posted by Rebarty View Post
    Problem is the Cool Down for being Freep, we cannot go Creep for sometime.
    true true. for those that dont know it is a 1 hour cooldown to flip from freepside in the moors to creepside. the countdown starts once you leave the moors on your freep.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214010000011aae/signature.png]Bigbaggie[/charsig]

In case you didn't know how horrible and outdated the PVP rewards are. Here is one of the many examples. As you can see, it is SEVENTEEN LEVELS BELOW THE CAP.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000034770/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

yeah we know. unfortunately we can't change it or it would have been done already. QQ

Quote Originally Posted by detrimentalicon View Post

In case you didn't know how horrible and outdated the PVP rewards are. Here is one of the many examples. As you can see, it is SEVENTEEN LEVELS BELOW THE CAP.
    Lol +0 parry
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000001c20b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Youtube page: [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/Bardathehobo[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Ellouhollia View Post
    I would also be happy to help coordinate
    I take it back...seems to me that a good raid team needs to evolve over time...smaller groups that work well together, communicate well together, and can read each others body language are forming. I think those groups will grow over time...slowly adding people to the mix with the right chemistry. Occasionally we all sync pretty well in a large raid, but the composition of a pug is so hard to predict and manage I just think it's going to take time for quality raid on raid to become the norm. If you take Snicker for example, he has a large following that is accustomed to taking his direction in PvE, the transition to PvP for that particular group (of which I am proud to called upon to join from time to time) is natural - not to mention his excellent leadership and general knowledge of the environment. In the meantime, I'll look for the smaller battles and the fringe element, and be happy to hop into a well formed and well functioning raid.

Good Hunting,

Ell
    Last edited by Ellouhollia; Feb 10 2011 at 02:46 AM.
    Ellouhollia - R13 - Hunter (BW) | Ellou - R10 - Guardian (BW) | Slye - R10 - Burglar (CH) | Borialys - R8 - Minstrel (BW)
    Freepstalker - R8 - Stalker (CH) | Freepstalker - R7 - Stalker (BW) | Allwrong - R7 - Warleader (BW)

/agree with Ellou

I don't know if you guys paid attention but I was killing you in my elf undies for awhile tonight - spear and shield baby! Nothing else. Haha. Couple times I got dotted up with fire, I didn't even want heals just said toss some water on me like its a wet t-shirt contest. Obviously I got toasted a bit, but I was amused. Good times...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000315ab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Modest Mornien the Nocturnal Warden

You've all mentioned some good things and had some great discussions that I hope will lead to better freep involvement in the Moors. Now what are some things that creeps can do to help the situation? Here's a few things off the top of my head:

GV camping is NEVER ok. Nothing says don't even bother like showing up to the moors only to see a raid of creeps camping the steps of GV trying to kill a few freeps. How long do you think those freeps are gonna stay out? Do you think they're gonna ask their kin/friends to come out to the moors just to get steam rolled by a bunch of bloodthirsty zerglings? Is this really fun to you guys? Zerging a few players takes no skill or effort and shows that people who engage in this behavior are just out there for infamy and not the challenge.

Stop zerging EC. Same principles as above apply. Every day I'll see 2 or so freeps holed up in EC, and a dozen creeps killing them over and over. Again is this fun? I fail to see how.

So what can you do as a creep when you see this happening?

-Immediately leave the area this is happening in. An can wait. Really. Letting the freeps have some space and letting them dictate the fights will hopefully increase their morale and make them want to encourage people to join them in the action.

-Go work on maps. It's sad how few red rings have their good maps. When it's slow out is the time to get the leg work done and gather up all that stone and wood. It's not exciting, but neither is zerging some freeps 12 on 2.

-Switch to your freep. If you have a freep that can come out to the moors and compete, go get him. If it's 12 creeps vs 2 freeps and 5 people switch over, guess what, it's now 7 on 7 and you can have some fun, even fights. If pvp is what you are after, then it shouldn't matter what side you get the action on right? If your freep isn't high enough level to be competitive yet, then get him leveled up. You can get to lvl 65 in no time now, so why not work on that instead of staring into EC for hours on end?

-Log out. If you have all your maps, and don't have or want to play your freep, then just log out. There has to be something better you can do with your time. Read a book. Take up knitting. Create that Justin Beiber fan page you've putting off making. Pretty much anything has to be more fun than mindlessly zerging EC right?

That's just a few suggestions, but creeps need to realize they are just as responsible for the lack of freeps as freeps are. If you want freeps to come out and pvp in a fun, competitive enviroment, then you have to create that environment. But if you want pvp to totally die out, just keep on doing what you're doing.
    Last edited by Caderly; Feb 10 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Caderly WHO ARE YOU!?! You make too much sense. hehe nice post - very reasonable suggestions.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000315ab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Caderly View Post
    Stop zerging EC. Same principles as above apply. Every day I'll see 2 or so freeps holed up in EC, and a dozen creeps killing them over and over. Again is this fun? I fail to see how.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on the EC thing. Freeps can choose where to fight and where to gather. I even have been trying to encourage creeps to let the freeps have at least 1 rez spawn... If that doesn't encourage them to visit moors, nothing will. As for EC- I don't want freeps to feel like they have any control over our easiest 2k DP. Fighting freeps in EC is annoying, but controlling An helps our new players and new toons upgrade faster. If they don't want to come out to the Moors because we're farming infamy to get all our skills, then that is their choice.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214010000065bb8/signature.png]Defilerawr[/charsig]
    Defilerawr/Garawr/Wargawr/Reavrawr/Grax
    "When people ask me if I roleplay, I say yes. I pretend to be myself all the time."

Quote Originally Posted by spikeywikey View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on the EC thing. Freeps can choose where to fight and where to gather. I even have been trying to encourage creeps to let the freeps have at least 1 rez spawn... If that doesn't encourage them to visit moors, nothing will. As for EC- I don't want freeps to feel like they have any control over our easiest 2k DP. Fighting freeps in EC is annoying, but controlling An helps our new players and new toons upgrade faster. If they don't want to come out to the Moors because we're farming infamy to get all our skills, then that is their choice.
    I think i did my part in giving infamy today
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000001c20b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Youtube page: [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/Bardathehobo[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by spikeywikey View Post
    Fine, kill them, kill An, and move on. There is no need to stare into EC for hour after hour. The camping of EC, GV, and rez spots when it's 10+ freeps vs 2-3 freeps happens every single day, and it does nothing to improve creep skill or to get more freeps in the moors. No one wants to be farmed, and that's why we have many freeps coming out to the moors, but few staying for more than 20 minutes. They come out, get farmed by the zerg, get sick of it, and leave. Some may come back another time and try again, but some may not ever come back because of the horrible experience the creeps gave them.

Thumbs up Re: What will it take to get more freeps in the Moors?

some may not ever come back because of the horrible experience the creeps gave them.
    you almost made me cry
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000000109a/signature.png]Snicker[/charsig]

Fine, kill them, kill An, and move on. There is no need to stare into EC for hour after hour. The camping of EC, GV, and rez spots when it's 10+ freeps vs 2-3 freeps happens every single day, and it does nothing to improve creep skill or to get more freeps in the moors. No one wants to be farmed, and that's why we have many freeps coming out to the moors, but few staying for more than 20 minutes. They come out, get farmed by the zerg, get sick of it, and leave. Some may come back another time and try again, but some may not ever come back because of the horrible experience the creeps gave them.
    Tonight (earlier anyway) was a pretty good example of ***...I am gonna go do some skirms...freeps were ridiculously outnumbered and I personally decided to wait out the creep storm and come back later. Nothing against creeps intended - but you guys need to share the freeps a lil...as in break up the raid and give us a fighting chance when the numbers are so one-sided. Many people logged...and there weren't that many to begin with...unless freepless moors is what you are looking for - sorry to annoy you guys at EC...but you own the map - where do think we can go when we don't have enough to fend off the mob, let alone take a keep. I think is sucks that I even have to pose the notion you all should scale back a little - it shouldn't be that way - but it is a sign that creeps start at lvl 65 and Freeps start at lvl 0.

Good Hunting.

unfortunately I can't agree with you more. Which is the main reason that I haven't been out much on either side right now. Yes I do pop in and out checking on the status of things, but lately its been one side or the other with the majority and there hasn't been much equal fighting lately. I haven't been coming out on the freepside because 1. i don't have a lvl 65 freep, and 2. because I'm underleveled I get zerged. So, instead of complaining I have been just not out. Problem solved for me.

Yeah last night we had between 2-6 freeps against 18 creeps at the point we had rallied 6 together. After that it was maybe 4v12 or something when we tried to divert to an outpost (creeps took the outpost from us when we had troll about 15% morale, then attacked us using npc to help scare/kill us off). I don't get as nice a count as Hunter Tracking, I have to eyeball it - regardless it was lame. The point is we are pretty used to being outnumbered 3 to 1. Sometimes thats just fun - personally I say the more the merrier and get to the killing. That was with more green and blues mixed in. Now from farming us you've got a lot more red dots on the server and you pull together some decent coordination too. That's really cool and I'm happy for you. I'm happy as a pvp'er, a Crickhollower, and the proud owner of Chirontwo.

However, it means if we don't 1. get more freeps out and 2. those freeps don't stop being idiots and listen up to the people that know the moors and know pvp we barely get a fighting chance anymore. That is incredibly frustrating and disheartening. I realize since the two things I like best in an mmo are pvp and the people (for pve I'll just play a single player rpg instead of grinding my eyes out pointlessly), lord of the rings might not have been my best bet, but I have had fun so far...

I got real moody last night myself and ended up logging eventually. I enjoyed some comfort food, watched a little tv and went to bed early. It seemed pointless and just wasn't any fun. At the end of the day it does come down to 'fun.' I like 'against the odds,' I love a 'challenge,' but I NEED a 'fighting chance.'

More burgs with cripper's mentality.

Says it all doesn't it? Solo burgs who can play during any time of the day and pick off the noobs who stray from the pack.

>
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21401000006da40/signature.png]Dogbowl[/charsig]

hmm we can do that!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000000109a/signature.png]Snicker[/charsig]

As a veteran LOTRO player, I have only recently started pvp'ing. I remember the first few times out, scared as hell, frustrated, and confused. I wasn't affraid to die, more affraid of screwing up. Fortunately, I happened to wonder out on a day that freeps had decent numbers and a good leader. Less then a few mins. out there I quickly became creep meat, lol. I got up dusted myself off and kept on trying(dieing)... By the end of my time out in moors, I left refreshingly satisfied, overwhelmed, and a desire for more info. I didn't know Notleh from adam that day, but from his leadership, overall knowledge of pvmp & class skills, he successfully convinced me to try it all over again the next day.

Oddly in the 1.5 yrs and 2 servers I've known Snicker, I never really had a desire to pvp. Knowing how good of a leader he is, I went back to him in kin, asked questions, came out with him some, and LISTENED to what he told me. I gradually am gaining confidence out there. Most days I feel like a minow in a shark tank. He even got me to make a few creeps.

Not only were these good leaders key points to converting me to a pvp player, the other core freeps that I've met out there have made a big difference too. Whether you know it or not, I appreciate all the patients, encouragement, and information I recieved from many of you. I'm normally healing...err ah trying to while dodging stuns, dots, and the normal tag-teaming I get from the creeps, while out there. I generally don't get the enjoyment of bloodshed, that can fuel your fire to keep pvping. I live vicariously My point is, because of the people, the comaradery, and that magicial moment when we do all unify and work togther, draws me me to the moors daily now. So, thank you all for making it an good experience.

As far as getting more people out there, several of you had great ideas. I have another suggestion to the experienced pvp players. Take that knowledge into your kinships and share it. I never came to moors much before until on crickits server. What held me back from doing so was the lack of understanding it. Having someone take the time to teach me, answer questions, and such quickly gave me more confidence to try. For someone who has never pvp'd, the moors is a bit intimidating. Especially, if one goes out at a chaotic time of raiding. Working in small groups out in moors was by far the most benneficial for me. It allowed me to get my feet wet, and prepare for when we do have bigger numbers.

So, maybe talking more in kins about it & taking small numbers out to show them the ropes, may be helpful. I might never be as hard core as all of you, but I got heart. Oh and as yu get to know a whole lot of sass.

Kallia
    ~good times still to be had: I've conquered in game content, Moors here I am!

p.s excuse all the typos :P
    Last edited by Masonkye; Feb 14 2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: signature

Nice write up Kallia!

And after thinking about this for quite some time - I am sure I have the answer - A Wet T-Shirt Contest! Mornien will be the MC (Master of Ceremonies)!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast