We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What did Sauron say to Aragorn in the palantir in return of the king?

In Peter Jackson's Return of the King extended edition, what did Sauron say to Aragorn in the palantir? I can't really understand all of it, it seems to be in elvish or black speech, or bits of both. I think he at least says "silivren penna míriel", or in English "white-glittering, slanting down sparkling like a jewel", which is part of the hymn Elebereth Githoniel, but then he goes on to say more in a more sinister speech, while showing Arwen. Anyone know what he says?
    Last edited by Aliachbad; Feb 21 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Re: What did Sauron say to Aragorn in the palantir in return of the king?

I think it was something about ruling the galaxy as father and son...?

As far as I remember it was "Aragorn … Elessar". Elessar is sort of a nickname for Aragorn (which I am not sure how Sauron learned about) but it was the name he took as a king.
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

sauron didn't "talk" to aragorn. he tortured him while drilling him with quetions about the one ring...dude just read the books
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000183e8f/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    KINSHIP REVAMP PLEASE READ! [url]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?385713-Kinship-Revamp-Proposal[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by hrothar View Post
    sauron didn't "talk" to aragorn. he tortured him while drilling him with quetions about the one ring...dude just read the books
    Where does it say that in the books? Idk I can't remember them all too well

From RotK, p. 53:

[Legolas asks Aragorn what happened.]

Aragorn: "A struggle somewhat grimmer for my part than the battle of the Hornburg," answered Aragorn. "I have looked into the Stone of Orthanc, my friends."

[Gimli is dismayed and Aragorn gives him a gentle rebuke, reminding Gimli of his right to the Stone as the rightful King. Aragorn then continues:]

Aragorn: "It was a bitter struggle, and the weariness is slow to pass. I spoke no word to him, and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my will. That alone he will find hard to endure. And he beheld me. Yes, Master Gimli, he saw me, but in other guise than you see me here. If that will aid him, then I have done ill. But I do not think so. To know that I lived and walked the earth was a blow to his heart, I deem; for he knew it not until now. [Saruman] did not see through the armour of Theoden; but Sauron has not forgotten Isildur and the sword of Elendil. Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

There is no indication of any words that Sauron may have spoken to Aragorn. The relevant passage from The Two Towers [p. 198] does tell that Sauron mentally interrogated and tormented Pippen when he snuck a look into the Stone:

Pippen: "He did not speak so that I could hear words. He just looked and I understood. He said: "Who are you?" I still did not answer, but it hurt me horribly; and he pressed me, so I said "A hobbit." "Then suddenly he seemed to see me, and he laughed at me. It was cruel. It was like being stabbed with knives. I struggled. But he said: "Wait a moment! We shall meet again soon. Tell Saruman that this dainty is not for him. I will send for it at once. Do you understand? Say just that!" "Then he gloated over me. I felt I was falling to pieces. No, no! I can't say any more. I don't remember anything else."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by hrothar View Post
    As demonstrated by the excerpts I just posted, that is incorrect. If you are going to be rude in response to a sincere question, please at least be accurate.

In any event, the question was specifically asking what Sauron said to Aragorn in PJ's movie version, in which Sauron speaks "aloud" apparently either in the Black Speech or elvish. The OP's question certainly conveyed the impression to me that he was familiar with the books and had done some research attempting to translate the movie speech into English.

To the OP, I'm sorry but I don't know what Sauron says in the movie.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Feb 21 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]