We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

BG on way to twins

Hey all. I'm kind of new to Lotro, however I have managed to get in on a couple BG runs.

One time on the way to twins we did what the leader called a burg pull, having the burg pull a warg then use an ability to hide so the other mobs reset and we killed the ward alone.

Then I tried it with this other group and they all seemed to play well, but they died doing the warg pulls always getting like 5 mobs at once sorcerers and everything. I mentioned the burg pull idea and the raid leader was all miffed and said it was cheating.

I argued with him and he said it was an exploit and cheating and I could do it on other raids but not in his raids.

So I was wondering. Is the 'burg pull' in BG considered a cheat??? Or is it like I thought. Just a legitimate use of the skills Turbine gave us?

Re: BG on way to twins

This was a hot topic way back when the game was first released. The official word from the devs was they didn't have a problem with a Burglar using HIPS this was as it was part of his regular skill set. There were some tricks people would use that made mobs behave like they do when a Burglar does a HIPS pull, but those were exploits. Using game mechanics in an unintended way bad, using your skills good.

Sadly the discussion threads about HIPS have long since been deleted by Turbine as they regularly prune the forums. Some people still think it's an exploit...not much you can do about it if they're dead set against it.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Rule #1 if you want to go to a raid dont argue with the raid leader.

as for a HIPS pull, each to their own. half the time you can deal with the same pull without having to use this trick. some times it speeds things up... other times it slows things down, but allows you to break the trash up into smaller individual pulls.

Unfortunately sometimes this method becomes the standard way to do things, especially when the pull in question is difficult. If turbine doesnt want us to use this method they can nerf it easily enough.

HIPS pulling is simply lazy and takes absolutely 0 skill.
    [center][color=#CC0000][B]Vernora ~ 65 Guardian ~ Endeavor[/B][/color]

[color=#999999][I]"The Guardian is a great class for elves because they can use the shield as a mirror when putting on lipstick."[/I][/center][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    Is the 'burg pull' in BG considered a cheat???
    Officially, it's not an exploit or a cheat. Some people consider it a cheat as they like to do the fight the intended way each time. There are two fights in lock 2 where corruption removal resists, mez resists, or force taunt resists can result in a wipe, and taking the warg out of the picture first can save time. While I'd agree that the raid leader gets the final say in how the run goes, I don't personally have a problem with it.
    solien
    armor-plated since SoA alpha 3
    arkenstone: roxxi manor

Quote Originally Posted by jhwort View Post
    HIPS pulling is simply lazy and takes absolutely 0 skill.
    Absolutely. Which is why I love doing it on every run I'm in.

It does take a tiny bit of skill btw. We recently had a burglar alt who was simply too slow in order to pull off a HIPS pull. He had the right skill order, and dont ask me what the hell he was doing with his keyboard, but he failed at all 3 times (HIPS+HIPS+FD). :d

Applying real life ethics to a computer game= lol.
    [center]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002ad6db/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/center]