We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Red face hunter class trait dilema

i have tried many combinations of class traits (i have only 4 slots so as many combinations as possible) and i have decided to use: heightened senses, combat traps, sturdy traps, barbered hindrance (so 4yellow) very fun indeed and the damage decrease is not a great prob. besides this i have another: intent concentration, strong bow, deadly precision and enduring precision (4 blue). very fast kill because of unending focus and fast inductions. so can anyone suggest me which to choose or suggest me other combinations. my mind is opened for advices

Re: hunter class trait dilema

Depends on the situation. 4y is a nerf to your DPS, whereas 4b is going to be the exact opposite to this. And unless the group needs it, all fellowship content would probably be better served with your blue setup. Yellow is more for some CC (if you don't have a lm or burg) and I do know of some people who solo in the ToF setup.
    Lieutenant Sersi Niflhel · Retired
    "I will give you no quarter, and I will take none."

What do you want to accomplish?

You can change your traits every time you visit a bard, they're meant to be situational. Well, except Deadly Precision and Strong Draw are compulsory nearer 65. That still leaves you with 5 slots.

I've started doing raids in strength since it was changed, the dps is a fair bit more than 4 blues and 3 reds, and the cool burn damage pumps that up a lot more aswell. I hardly ever find i pull aggro if i dont want it. I just have to be careful. Obviously if you go all out at the beginning of a fight, you shouldnt be suprised if a mob drops onto you. But generally a few (5 seconds or so) is enough before you can start pewpewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilldir View Post
    I hardly ever find i pull aggro if i dont want it. I just have to be careful.
    It's not that hard to pull aggro in S:P with 4b/3r or with 5b/2r + Improved Fleetness so even in that stance you have to be very careful to not pull aggro. If you go 5r and have to be careful you will do less DPS because in S:P there is no additional threat so when DPS-ing on the edge of aggro you will do more DPS than when DPS-ing on the edge of aggro because of the extra threat. This is typical for S:S hunters that see big numbers now and then but have no idea about their actual DPS.

nah iv'e done a few parses. overall im 10% better off going strength stance, not the full dps strength offers, but its an improvement on blues/reds. where as other times i have done about 2% less dps than if i were going all out in blues/reds. its swings and roundabouts really

nah iv'e done a few parses. overall im 10% better off going strength stance, not the full dps strength offers, but its an improvement on blues/reds. where as other times i have done about 2% less dps than if i were going all out in blues/reds. its swings and roundabouts really
    I agree with this, really. I finally took some time not that long ago and parsed numbers (and even did back to back Rift rescue skirms - ignoring encounters - timing myself) and there was only a slight decrease in DPS (less than 50) in my 5r/2b + CB setup with upwards of 2-3k additional damage dealt. Not to mention the Rift run went far faster. I'm not opposed to 5b/2r + IFS, it has it's place, but for most content it's (in my experience) underpowered compared to the CB setup.

Thusfar, I've found the best use of the IFS setup has been Stoneheight on the last boss where I kite/pewpew the orc as the tank holds off Dale. Tried it in Sari-Surma on Coldbear with no luck, and I've even tried IFS in the 'Moors - doesn't work, really. You can nail off a few extra shots, maybe, but you're far less likely to actually kill the target. Not to mention the IFS setup works best with S:P and anything other than S:S in the 'Moors can be silly, IMO.

So I conclude that with: I like my shiny big numbers and find they exceed the multitude of lower numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by SerowLOTRO View Post
    You can change your traits every time you visit a bard, they're meant to be situational. Well, except Deadly Precision and Strong Draw are compulsory nearer 65. That still leaves you with 5 slots.
    I still have yet to really understand this. I've tried traiting both of these in the past and I've never seen an improvement on performance. And while critting up a storm with Deadly Precision slotted is nice, it's a very chance based thing for such a key element of how a hunter works. And, to me, is wasting a slot better used by something else. Enduring Precision, for example, would be a better trait to slot, especially if you're gonna be in the high blue setup.

As for Strong Draw, it's about as effective as Swift Mercy in everything I've tried. Can easily better serve your slot with something other than this.
    Last edited by xxforcardassia; Aug 17 2011 at 12:02 AM.

After we made wound hm for the first time yesterday evening (went with an experienced group to get it off our list) we tried to go for our second fear T2 kill but after a few wipes at 90k we decided to clear the disease and poison wing.

I could go on my hunter although there already was a hunter in the group. It was fun as the other kin hunter was traited 5r with Cool Burn. The captain in our group decided to give him Shield Brother so the challenge for aggro was on

At the start he popped Burn Hot (not sure if he used NH) and I used Imp.Fl. + Burn Hot and NH. When the shield came up I had aggro. In the middle and longest part of the fight his Burn Hot was off cooldown again so I could not use it again but NH was off cooldown so just before killing the last add I popped Imp.Fl. + NH again and fired away at the tree. Once he popped BH I saw aggro switch to him but I kept burning focus and saw aggro switch back and forth. Still, once his BH was finished aggro sticked to me again. At the final part there was only 38k morale left on the tree so we cut him down quickly. I think he is still using a 2nd age bow so my FA bow has an advantage on that but still... the 10% extra threat from S:S and the big advantage of Cool Burn and Shield Brother still wasn't enough. For me it was a victory of S:P + huntsman over S:S + bowmaster
    Last edited by Ixinix; Aug 19 2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ixinix View Post
    After we made wound hm for the first time yesterday evening (went with an experienced group to get it off our list) we tried to go for our second fear T2 kill but after a few wipes at 90k we decided to clear the disease and poison wing.

I could go on my hunter although there already was a hunter in the group. It was fun as the other kin hunter was traited 5r with Cool Burn. The captain in our group decided to give him Shield Brother so the challenge for aggro was on

At the start he popped Burn Hot (not sure if he used NH) and I used Imp.Fl. + Burn Hot and NH. When the shield came up I had aggro. In the middle and longest part of the fight his Burn Hot was off cooldown again so I could not use it again but NH was off cooldown so just before killing the last add I popped Imp.Fl. + NH again and fired away at the tree. Once he popped BH I saw aggro switch to him but I kept burning focus and saw aggro switch back and forth. Still, once his BH was finished aggro sticked to me again. At the final part there was only 38k morale left on the tree so we cut him down quickly. I think he is still using a 2nd age bow so my FA bow has an advantage on that but still... the 10% extra threat from S:S and the big advantage of Cool Burn and Shield Brother still wasn't enough. For me it was a victory of S:P + huntsman over S:S + bowmaster
    My only question to this is: was the other hunter intending to battle others for aggro? A good S:S Bowmaster hunter knows how to not pull aggro when they don't want it. Sometimes BH is just a bit harder to control in that department. I'm also of the belief that a good hunter in this setup won't give up aggro that easily (believe me, I've held onto aggro from my guard friend - only exception is when he Challenges the target, but I get aggro right back when the Challenge effect wears off). But sometimes it also comes down to how aggressive each individual is playing their hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Adhordal View Post
    i have tried many combinations of class traits (i have only 4 slots so as many combinations as possible) and i have decided to use: heightened senses, combat traps, sturdy traps, barbered hindrance (so 4yellow) very fun indeed and the damage decrease is not a great prob. besides this i have another: intent concentration, strong bow, deadly precision and enduring precision (4 blue). very fast kill because of unending focus and fast inductions. so can anyone suggest me which to choose or suggest me other combinations. my mind is opened for advices
    At lower levels I would play a role based Trait Line. Yes it will cost some money to change traits a few times a day/week but its not like money isnt hard to come by in this game anymore. No recession in Middle-Earth Ladies so suck it up!

If you are in a group lacking a LM or Burglar then I would go for 4 into Trapper of Foe Line. This will bring some extra CC to the table and if you dont have anyone else to do it your more than good for it. Never count a Hunter out on CC. We are pretty good at it. As well your a great backup CCer if the need arises.
    The folly to this is that you will no longer be a DPS contributer on the primary lineup. You will play 2nd fiddle to it since your cut to DPS is so high.

If your Solo alot you may want to play with a nice full trait line in Bowmaster. The bonuses are pretty nice to use and compliment the solo Hunter in many ways.

I love our Huntsman line. Mix that with a few Red and Im a happy camper. The increase in attack speed coupled with alot of Needful Haste bonuses. Mmmm. Its like Christmas in July all over again.

One of my preferred Setups while lvling up and questing in new zones has been 3 BM, 3 HM, and 1 ToF. The 1 ToF has always been for Heightened Senses. I love tracking stealthed Foes and extended range to track.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Quote Originally Posted by xxforcardassia View Post
    My only question to this is: was the other hunter intending to battle others for aggro? A good S:S Bowmaster hunter knows how to not pull aggro when they don't want it. Sometimes BH is just a bit harder to control in that department. I'm also of the belief that a good hunter in this setup won't give up aggro that easily (believe me, I've held onto aggro from my guard friend - only exception is when he Challenges the target, but I get aggro right back when the Challenge effect wears off). But sometimes it also comes down to how aggressive each individual is playing their hunter.
    Well he is one of the best players of our kin (in general) and he knows the instance very well so I don't see a reason why he would be holding back aggro on the trees. It's a DPS race when the trees are vulnerable so I'm pretty sure he went all out. He was also on RAT so the raid leader intended him to tank the tree. Of all the times I've done Disease bosses on hunter, be it in kin groups or pugs, I have always played in Precision and have always kept aggro. (done it maybe 6 or 7 times on my hunter as it's not my main char). For me this fight was a confirmation that 6/6 Helegrod with a well tuned rotation and a proper build is just about the best DPS we can currently get.