We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best class for Bannerguard?

This may be a slightly different way of looking at things. I usually see the question "What is the best soldier for my <fill in the class>?". In this case, though, I want to start a Bannerguard and I have 3 classes to choose from: Burglar, Minstrel and Guardian. Of the three, what might fit in best with a Bannerguard? I have been told that a Burglar is extremely flexible and can work with almost anything. I am not entirely certain what a Bannerguard really does so I don't really know what class fits him best. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Michael

Re: Best class for Bannerguard?

I would use it on your minstrel. I use it on my healing rk, with the defence ultimate skill. +960 evade and +600 resistances for whole group is pretty nice. Also spot healing and some dps, I think its very good for healer class.
    Farewell.

Red face Re: Best class for Bannerguard?

No doubt on my part: Bannerguards have no place than in the retinue of a Captain!

Haven't you heard it? Bannerguards are simply all the heralds that lost their job back when Turbine wickedly introduced this modern concept of banners - what a cruel mistress is progress! - and with one stroke of the pen got all the Heralds of Middle Earth sacked!

Now the heralds have finally been offered an escape from their sodden and drunken PTSD-smitten lives in the Bree surburbs and once again roam the battlefields next to their commanders of olde!

And why not? Captains are generals (group-buffers) first and generalists second, just as the Bannerguards. Bannerguards make their fellows stronger foremost and secondarily they can be traited for either tanking, healing/buffing, or damage. So if you see a bannerguard following someone who is not a captain, make sure to pull rank and either dismiss them from the armed forces or let them face a military tribunal in the field!

I almost posted this exact same question today. Thank goodness for search capabilities.

I'm curious if any others have feedback on this. I currently have one character of every class (except burglar and guardian) between levels 20 and 41. Which of the classes would work best with a bannerguard?

I know that play-style is a consideration when answering this. I'm not a rush-rush-rush type of player. I like to DPS and I like to heal. I do not like to tank. I like variety, which is why with at least one of my characters I want to try out a soldier that does not seem to appear on most "best soldier" lists. At the same time, I don't want to combine the bannerguard with a class and have the combination prove to be excruciatingly slow.

I appreciate any advice/insights into this.

Thanks!

bannerguard is the one soldier type i havent tried. haven't started skirmishing yet with my RK or LM so may try one with one of them eventually (may have even chosen it as the tutorial reward for one, not sure, lol)

I swapped out a bannerguard for a sage and am much happier.

True, a burg can play well with any skirm soldier.

The AI makes a bannerguard hard to work with. Of course it was a guard I tried it on, a good try too, all the way up into the 40s, but it continually pokes it's nose in where it doesn't belong. If it had the herbalist or sage positioning, perhaps I wouldn't have given up on it?

So of the considerations, I agree that mini might be better? I've got a protector on mine, mostly unused as it's always grouped. But the positioning isn't as useless for minis, so might work better?

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Haven't played/skirmed my burg for a while, but when I did his Bannerguard was a surprisingly good/flexible performer. For whatever it's worth (probably very little) on the (most likely) borked leaderboards, he's still the top ranked solo skirmish burg (Faerdlie) for his level (58).

I can't claim to have gotten at all tech with the pairing, but somehow the duo just never seemed to get into trouble.
    Vulfen cpt 100

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the Minstrel is the common suggestion. I don't play a Burglar, so that's not an option at the moment. But it's good to know just in case I try one some day.

Thanks again. I appreciate the helpfulness of this community!

I use one for my RK and I'm pretty happy with the combination. AI could definitely be better though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001e0c1c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I tried Bannerguard on my Champ, LM, RK, and Mini, all except the RK now have archers. The only reason the RK doesn't have an archer is because, before they changed the skirmish marks system, I wanted more marks on his character and therefore didn't want to waste them to train another soldier. All in all, bannerguard worked, but the archer is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirion_of_Dale View Post
    No doubt on my part: Bannerguards have no place than in the retinue of a Captain!
    My CPT commands a Bannerguard, who goes by the name 'Jimmy the Page'.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    The AI makes a bannerguard hard to work with.
    Have you tried them recently? There have been us AI tweaks recently and in my opinion the Bannerguard and other Soldiers are on average positioning themselves much better for their duties.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir