We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs up Way of the Waden

A last minute Saruman tier one PUG thanks to the doors in Orthanc being fixed, solo tanked by a warden. When I did it before update 6, I had a champ helping by tanking 2 Sarumans. But we were limited on classes to choose from with this being a last minute run before reset, so I had to tank 8 on phase 5. There was no kiting due to my fear of a Storm-Maker killing someone and I also didn't want to risk being pulled off the tower, so I straight tanked them and just bounced back and forth over Saruman. One RK was DPS and one burglar couldn't move due to lag but we kept him alive to get his deed lol. So basically 11-man.

Don't let anyone turn you down because you're a warden tank!

Edit: I'm just going to add links to screenshots of the trait setup and gear I used for this, I think one large picture is enough lol. Ideally bracelets would be replaced with Bracelets of the Unbent Knee. I'm still working on it, as well as my virtues
    Traits:
    http://imageshack.us/f/16/52269305.jpg
    Gear:
    http://imageshack.us/f/42/92053337.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/f/21/46804122.jpg

I don't think any of this will be helpful to anyone because it was only done like this because of the players we were limited to finding with reset closing in, but I was asked twice to post what I did during the fight so....

As for skills on phase five:
    -At the end of phase four, I triggered potency and used warcry on the last Saruman to save it in battle memory(you don't drop combat in the last three phases).
    -I started phase five by where the acid Sarumans spawned and used shield tactics via masteries right after everyone used their rings, then built warcry before the spawn.
    -(My plan was: One warcry grabs both acids. Javelin of deadly force grabs both frost and left lightning. Battle memory warcry grabs both fire and right lightning, allowing me to remain unsilenced. Looking back, I should've opened with conviction and had the bubble/perceived threat ring cast on me ./facedesk oh well)
    -What happened: One warcry grabbed both acid and a shadow, javelin of deadly force across the center of the tower grabbed storms and right frost and battle memory's warcry grabbed both fire Sarumans.
    -Followed by spamming the rotation of exultation of battle, warcry, resolution, fierce resolve and goad. I also worked in shield tactics, shield mastery and restoration each time I was pulled across the center Saruman and silenced. There was a hard cap to the amount of each lifetap introduced in the hotfix, I count it at 10. Anyways, using all of those skills will get you a lot more lifetaps before you start wasting power by casting the same one before it expires.
    -I also was using impressive flourish and maddening strike whenever I remembered to. I'm still getting used to them being useful skills lol.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't kite in fear of being pulled off or killing someone else with a storm-maker. Just straight tank, get pulled, turn a 180 and mitigate until unsilenced and then spam more lifetaps. I obviously switched to shield-spear healing once four Sarumans were left.
    Last edited by Rauthgar; Mar 26 2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: My spelling is epic =\

Re: Way of the Waden

Way to go man!

What rotations/gear/traits are you using? Was your team competent or typical-PUG?
    Your friendly neighborhood Riddermark spear n00b, Tinuthel Acharthang.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/7af4chj]Warden Mechanics suggestion: Battle Aura[/url].
    [img]http://sig.gamerdna.com/quizzes/BARTL/SharadSun.png[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by SharadSun View Post
    Way to go man!

What rotations/gear/traits are you using? Was your team competent or typical-PUG?
    I'll add gear/traits via screenshots in a little while, I'm cooking atm Only two people that were in this group that I had run Orthanc with before this week. As far as picking up players, our only requirements were that you could listen to instructions and pot your status effects. I was very pleased with this PUG and would say they were all competent players.

congrats again, man! This jsut reminds me that I need to game up and get some gear =p +rep.
    Your friendly neighborhood Riddermark spear n00b, Tinuthel Acharthang.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/7af4chj]Warden Mechanics suggestion: Battle Aura[/url].
    [img]http://sig.gamerdna.com/quizzes/BARTL/SharadSun.png[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Rauthgar View Post
    I'll add gear/traits via screenshots in a little while, I'm cooking atm Only two people that were in this group that I had run Orthanc with before this week. As far as picking up players, our only requirements were that you could listen to instructions and pot your status effects. I was very pleased with this PUG and would say they were all competent players.
    How fast do you get status effects in this fight? I know there are a lot of instances where you can pot something and immediately get it again, so you might be stuck with it for its full duration. Are there particular types you get more than others, so a Hunter and LM can remove some effects to avoid everyone being on pot cooldown?

This thread needs to be copied and pasted onto every single negative post-U6 thread that's been made.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000008a48/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Gratz on the kill. I'm almost 100% sure this was ToO t1...since I haven't heard about a t2 legit clear. I think the warden is in a better spot, but ToOt1 was never really the issue. I'm only commenting b/c I wanted to say gratz and to suggest we don't use t1 the measuring stick.

*Disclaimer I'll put on any post to make sure people don't freak out
    I like the post U-6 warden, even with the bugs. Only ones that annoy me are DC and Conviction leg. But I'm never really going to use assailment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nydorewyth View Post
    How fast do you get status effects in this fight? I know there are a lot of instances where you can pot something and immediately get it again, so you might be stuck with it for its full duration. Are there particular types you get more than others, so a Hunter and LM can remove some effects to avoid everyone being on pot cooldown?
    The removable status effects only occur in phase three. I've never seen one person hit with two of them within 30 seconds. If someone misclicks their pot, we instruct them to get away from other players. If for some reason someone is hit with a second effect while curatives are on cooldown, I'd take the same course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    Gratz on the kill. I'm almost 100% sure this was ToO t1...since I haven't heard about a t2 legit clear. I think the warden is in a better spot, but ToOt1 was never really the issue. I'm only commenting b/c I wanted to say gratz and to suggest we don't use t1 the measuring stick.

*Disclaimer I'll put on any post to make sure people don't freak out
    I like the post U-6 warden, even with the bugs. Only ones that annoy me are DC and Conviction leg. But I'm never really going to use assailment.
    Yes, tier one. And I do run tier two content, but not with PUGs. I've tanked every wing tier two just fine before update six, things will only be better now with increased survivability. And if you follow the raid progression threads, you'll see that every wing has been cleared on tier two with a warden as the main or only tank, prior to update six.

As for your disclaimer, those are also my two largest complaints that are left to fix. The nerf to defiant challenge is absurd and I don't understand how a fix to the conviction legacy wasn't in the last hotfix, let alone broken in the first place. Also masteries being broken in battle preperation is quite annoying but not too serious.
    Last edited by Rauthgar; Mar 22 2012 at 05:54 PM.

If the masteries problem you are refering to is the second builder not being there try replacing the mastery from the skills panel. Other then that I haven't noticed any problems with the masteries so it might be much harder to track down then it would appear from the outside.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000e3830/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[url]http://schrodwarden.blogspot.ca/[/url]

Nice achievement dude.

On a T2 Lightning CM, we had a Champ and Warden tank...which was fun.

On an T2 Acid CM, we have a warden solo tank...which was awesome.

Summary: Well built wardens are great tanks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001405a0/signature.png]Magneticthor[/charsig]
    Rank 10 Hunter | Rank 6 Champ | Rank 6 Mini
    Rank 7 BA | Rank 6 Warg| Rank 5 Defi

Quote Originally Posted by khaipur View Post
    If the masteries problem you are refering to is the second builder not being there try replacing the mastery from the skills panel. Other then that I haven't noticed any problems with the masteries so it might be much harder to track down then it would appear from the outside.
    During battle preparation, in determination and recklessness, spear-shield only adds spear. In assailment, javelin-fist does javelin-shield.

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticThor View Post
    Nice achievement dude.

On a T2 Lightning CM, we had a Champ and Warden tank...which was fun.

On an T2 Acid CM, we have a warden solo tank...which was awesome.

Summary: Well built wardens are great tanks.
    Great to hear!

2 rks were healing though

+rep, thanks for helping show how great a job Orion has done.

If only Assailment could become useful and buffs could be refreshed rather than starting from scratch, I would say this update is perfect. As of now (assuming the known bugs get fixed, not these things that aren't bugs that I just want changed) I give it a 90%. Very happy with the new Warden
    [center]
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tY1055I.jpg[/IMG]
    [color=green][b]Gloarn[/b][/color] 80 Burglar [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glorn[/b][/color] 75 Champion [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Gloirn[/b][/color] 75 Rune-keeper [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glourn[/b][/color] 75 Captain
    [color=brown][b]Glarnakh[/b][/color] R7 Warleader [color=grey]|[/color] [color=brown][b]Glarno[/b][/color] R6 Reaver
    [/center]

Im really not that impressed...its T1 Saruman which is not challenging at all, the sarumans dont hit hard and it was solotanked by wardens before U6, so...
    Cecthrantir, Warden
    == never surrendered, never retired ==
    Orthanc - Destroyer of Rings

Quote Originally Posted by MrKeks View Post
    Im really not that impressed...its T1 Saruman which is not challenging at all, the sarumans dont hit hard and it was solotanked by wardens before U6, so...
    Agreed....Besides DOnt forget about the 6 healers you had Let alone in all honesty a raid is about Teamwork and working together.
    Last edited by Lord_Cryptic; Mar 25 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Great job man! Ignore the negative posts. Orion has done a great job so far and I trust all bugs will be fixed come 6.1.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKeks View Post
    If you had read more than just then first post before grabbing your flamethrower, you'd have seen that I already said this. Once again, I've tanked all of the the wings on tier two and all wings have also been solo tanked by wardens on tier two. This was originally a short post, with a screenshot and one paragraph, to say that we still work as tanks despite all of the negative posts post-update. All of the added stuff was me taking time to answer questions from posts or PMs. And honestly, the tier two content is not much harder than this, just more intricate trash pulls. We nearly beat tier two lightning with three experienced tier two raiders last night as well as half of the raid under-geared, so yeah..... is that supposed to be a better measuring stick? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Cryptic View Post
    Agreed....Besides DOnt forget about the 6 healers you had Let alone in all honesty a raid is about Teamwork and working together.
    I had one minstrel, rune-keeper and captain healing me. Lead DPS, and people being damaged from the center Saruman and random pools were occupying the other healers..... for example the burglar that couldn't move at all that we kept healed the entire fight through acid and shadow puddles. We didn't have time to put together an optimal group before the reset. But it's not like I was in the raid and know what happened or anything, so go ahead and bash our PUG lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dradous View Post
    Great job man! Ignore the negative posts. Orion has done a great job so far and I trust all bugs will be fixed come 6.1.
    Thanks. Yes, Orion has done very well for having the update rushed on him. The short crit immunity is fantastic and you can never run out of power now, which is a bit OP imo. Conviction and defiant challenge are the two fixes I'm really waiting for, the rest are more of an annoyance.
    Last edited by Rauthgar; Mar 25 2012 at 09:21 PM.

If you had read more than just then first post before grabbing your flamethrower, you'd have seen that I already said this. Once again, I've tanked all of the the wings on tier two and all wings have also been solo tanked by wardens on tier two. This was originally a short post, with a screenshot and one paragraph, to say that we still work as tanks despite all of the negative posts post-update. All of the added stuff was me taking time to answer questions from posts or PMs. And honestly, the tier two content is not much harder than this, just more intricate trash pulls. We nearly beat tier two lightning with three experienced tier two raiders last night as well as half of the raid under-geared, so yeah..... is that supposed to be a better measuring stick? lol

Lol ~Before Upate: you could take burgs and mez lock everything.

Post Update: No more Mez Locking.

...Almost... We have almost beaten Tier 2 wings as well. but that doesnt earn me a cookie Now does it

Im saying you were with the cream of the crop before all of this and your hurrah is rather old. ~I Recall awhile ago one of your first posts saying you doubt any of us actually play a warden. ~ hide behind the blurred valience of this post if thats what it was. however looking at meneldor and seeing the same post else where speaks otherwise.....

I had one minstrel, rune-keeper and captain healing me. Lead DPS, and people being damaged from the center Saruman and random pools were occupying the other healers..... for example the burglar that couldn't move at all that we kept healed the entire fight through acid and shadow puddles. We didn't have time to put together an optimal group before the reset. But it's not like I was in the raid and know what happened or anything, so go ahead and bash our PUG lol..
    Lol you were in there for almost 5 hours. cycled through players left and right you had plenty of time.

Wardens are in a better spot Now. Orion did a fantastic job minus a few kinks here and there We have made a great improvement.... But our Egos have sky rocketed in the process...

grats Sir on your pug t1 heres your cookie

Lol, it was in the raid progression thread and I took no credit for anything, just /cheers for a PUG on our server accomplishing something since most kin runs wipe. And that PUG didn't take 5 hours, even if you're counting the 15 minutes in shadow lol.

fantastic! excellent job Rauthgar
    Claymore Nation