We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Please change Deflection back to its previous state

it is extremely annoying that its been removed from its logical pairing with Aggression

that is all

Re: Please change Deflection back to its previous state

For the love of all that is holy, please do NOT revert this change.

Deflection is my favorite change from this update - more than once I have attempted to build Aggression and accidentally fired Deflection due to slows or whatever is going on. That's basically the worst thing you can fire if you need Aggression. The new Deflection is much better, you know it's intentional when you fire it.

so its much better to accidentally fire deflection when you want to use shield tactics? no. deflection loses very little threat and only on one target compared to the threat gained from aggression. its really not a big deal if you accidentally hit it once. and really, if you're that desperate for aggression, you ought to pay more attention to make sure you've got it fully entered. that's entirely on you. deflection for aggression is actually one of the LEAST likely gambit flubs to occur that I can think of. its a much bigger deal to not be able to drop aggro when you need to because its been moved to a different tree where it has no business being. the threat swapping gambits should be in the same progression as makes logical sense. it does not belong with shield tactics.
    Last edited by tomiathon; Mar 24 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomiathon View Post
    so its much better to accidentally fire deflection when you want to use shield tactics? no. deflection loses very little threat and only on one target compared to the threat gained from aggression. its really not a big deal if you accidentally hit it once. and really, if you're that desperate for aggression, you ought to pay more attention to make sure you've got it fully entered. that's entirely on you. deflection for aggression is actually one of the LEAST likely gambit flubs to occur that I can think of. its a much bigger deal to not be able to drop aggro when you need to because its been moved to a different tree where it has no business being. the threat swapping gambits should be in the same progression as makes logical sense. it does not belong with shield tactics.
    I to agree that you should leave deflection where it currently is. During raids when a lag spike hits i've hit deflection instead of aggression and let me tell you the amount of threat deflection reduces is rather large. Especially when you're tanking a boss,wipes have almost happened. So yes leave it where it is now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0100002b2c0e/signature.png]Haltheweb[/charsig]

"You play the most OP class in the moors right now."~Hustypoo

Quote Originally Posted by tomiathon View Post
    the threat swapping gambits should be in the same progression as makes logical sense. it does not belong with shield tactics.
    I do think conceptually Deflection and Shield Tactics are closer than Deflection and Aggression. If I'm firing Shield Tactics I'm doing it defensively - either I don't want to get stunned, or I don't want to take as much tactical damage. If I accidentally lose aggro with Deflection, I still accomplish the same goal - no stuns and less damage. They're both defensive gambits, though I do agree it's not a particularly relevant fit next to Shield Tactics. Then again neither is Impressive Flourish, other than all three provide defensive benefit

Deflection and Aggression on the other hand achieve completely different goals. Yes, one is single target and one affects all monsters in combat, but the effect is still the exact opposite. It would be like 213 reducing your BPE for some unrelated benefit and 2132 increasing BPE - I don't want opposite effects next to each other just because they both have something to do with BPE. Same with threat. 32 increases AoE threat, 3213 increases AoE threat, 321 should not decrease threat.

Yes, we should fire the right gambit and not make the mistake in the first place, but that's not really relevant as we should also learn which line our gambits are in. "My favorite change" was an exaggeration, but I do think it's better where it is now. If it changes back it's no big deal, and it certainly would have been nice for them to make it clearer that this change was coming. I know the first time I tried to fire Deflection after U6 I was a bit worried they took it out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Nydorewyth View Post
    I do think conceptually Deflection and Shield Tactics are closer than Deflection and Aggression.
    no offense intended, but i find that statement completely mind-boggling. you use deflection and aggression when you want someone to have aggro other than who has it. they're opposite perhaps in the sense that heads and tails on a coin are opposite, which only says that they belong together. conceptually, deflection and shield tactics have no relation whatsoever.

conceptually, this half-baked change completely belongs with the rest of this half-baked class revamp, though. i suppose i must admit that much.
    Last edited by tomiathon; Mar 24 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Hahahahaha!

No wonder I was having problems with it! I had never used it before U6, and when I went to build it yesterday, it appeared to be broken. It was really frustrating hitting 321 over and over and still having aggro. When I finally looked in my skills and saw that it was 231, I figured I had just had it wrong all that time, since I had never used it before!

Seriously though, I've gotta go with move it back please. Tank swap skills belong together, at least they do if Orion intends to make Aggression a real tank swap skill.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/home/character/Landroval/Hammund/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001ca88b/01008/signature.png]Hammund of Landroval[/charsig][/url]