We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I suppose in that case the correct answer would be, "Let them die a few times so they learn not to pull aggro".

Quote Originally Posted by Maelendil View Post
    Before anyone else spend an hour answering, I would like to point out that this was a necro from a five month-old thread.
    Good point. Didn't look at the OP date just his post.

This is a common issue though in my experience. People see guardians as meat shields and think stacking Vitality and morale and mitigation virtues are the only really important factors.

Any guardian who tries to tank appropriate content with very low Might and Agi against geared DPS is going to have aggro issues unless the DPS is cutting back their DPS a fair amount to help him out.

Agility to reduce miss chance for better aggro I'll agree on, but might for increased DPS? A raidgeared DPS toon deals between 2.5 and 4k dps in single target nuke-situations, the difference between the guardian doing either 3- or 400 dps is beyond marginal, it's just plain irrelevant. If you want to lock aggro down properly, have your dps classes go mental for the first 25 seconds, preferably have one of the captain use OB, use back to back Challenge and CTD and Engage when challenge is about to run out, and there you have your 30% aggro lead on somebody who's just done about 4-5k dps in the first 25 seconds. Good luck losing aggro

I run 5b/2y, CTD, threat stance and litany master, with 6k finesse, ~3kk crit and 550 agi unbuffed to keep aggro-generation at an absolute maximum. There's a couple hunters in my kin who just can't to hold back (/wave Elra), I consider it a personal challenge not to ever drop aggro. If no skills miss (miss chance on higher-leveled mobs is a pain), I succeed without failure. I spam all skills that have a chance of procing litanies, oftentimes having me end up with 2 or more litanies being up on a raidboss at any given point in time, popping engage whenever its off cooldown.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/22219000000163cbf/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Fyrexiel - guardian | Fyrcuna - burglar | Fyrion - minstrel | Fyrenze - captain | Fyrinthehole - hunter

The Might makes a real difference in aggro in the builds I generally use. It bumps block, parry, phys mit and it does more damage. Crits and devastates are bigger and the spikes they produce help build aggro. In single-target boss fights you can make the argument that the extra mitigation doesn't make up for the loss of morale and that might be true, although it has been a long time since my defeat as the tank on a single boss fight was a primary cause of a wipe. Having the extra block and parry against a boss is useful because even with block capped the extra levels on the boss makes the overage of value.

When I die in Orthanc these days it's usually because of another point of failure. I can't tank 2 wargs in Acid for all that long without a problem arising. Basically my CD's, clickies and pots on top of the heals keep me up and then if the DPS hasn't gotten around to killing one of the wargs by then we're going to have an issue.

If slugs kill several people while I'm tanking the wargs, well that's not a very good position for us to be in. Most of the time when the raid gets down to the nitty gritty and people are dying the last 3 people up are myself and a Mini and a Cappy and we've been known to finish off fights that finished off everybody else if things go just right for us.

In the situations where I do go down having another 3k morale wouldn't have made much of a difference. The damage is coming so fast and heavy at that point with my CD's all used that an extra 3k morale is like literally 3 seconds of life as a couple of things crit me at the same time randomly and take me down. If the healers are still up they deal with the damage spike and if they're in trouble, well so am I and so is the raid.

In non-single target situations the Might is just pure goodness. Improved Whirling Retaliation is a nice aggro leech but when you get a bit of power behind it it's also good AE aggro. As long as you don't go down the chain you're making a significant aggro gain on every mob in front of you when you use IWR. Guardian's Ward is going to get used every 15 seconds or so, you get a real aggro difference on the target you hit. You're going to be hitting it anyway, might as well have the extra aggro when you do it. Vexing Blow, if traited for AE, is a really nice add to the rotation when you don't have a block event or parry event open at the moment. I don't use VB in the regular rotation but if I have nothing better to do for a couple of seconds it goes in because it has a better effect than repeating GW when it's already up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3