We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    ...So the second part of the puzzle does not have to be restricted to only two words. Dunno if that makes things simpler or not but there ya go! Lol.
    Thanks Bam' for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    [b]Shrouded monarch's affection[b]
    Alright, been racking my brain and I'm probably way off here but here's my guess; Shrouded can mean hidden, monarch can be king (could also be queen, emperor, etc. Affection could be love and love can be the feeling or the object of the feeling, so Hidden king's Love. Turgon of Gondolin was referred to as the Hidden King. His love was given pretty much entirely to his only child his daughter Idril, so my guess is Idril.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post

Shrouded monarch's affection

Luthien?

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Both reasonable and ah so excitingly close to a person I was thinking of. I believe I might have taken a too big bite of a pie here (falsely and too vaguely formed riddle I fear), so I will clarify: an answer can be found by translating "affection" or "love" into sindarin. Yes, hidden king is correct first part. ;D
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Ah, I chose the daughter, you were looking for spouse.

Melian?

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ah, I chose the daughter, you were looking for spouse.

Melian?
    Yes! Stage is yours now.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Well, it's been a while.
    Took a break because I had reached my brain's riddle limit (I think).

3-2-1

Rampion thief's ransom

Thanks to the modern marvel of the Internet, I was able to find that rampion is a type of flowering plant, which is also called "rapunzel". In the fairy tale of Rapunzel, the father of the title character steals some from a magical garden for his pregnant wife to eat. (The roots of the plant are said to be extremely tasty...or her pregnancy was giving her strange cravings...you pick.) Then a witch catches him red-handed, and in return for letting him go, the father promises to give her his child when she is born.

The only rampion thief I could think of was this father; his ransom might be his daughter, the long-haired Rapunzel? I do not at the moment know how this would reduce to the final step and will continue to mull it over, but thought that the above might be useful to others, if indeed it is on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Thanks to the modern marvel of the Internet, I was able to find that rampion is a type of flowering plant, which is also called "rapunzel". In the fairy tale of Rapunzel, the father of the title character steals some from a magical garden for his pregnant wife to eat. (The roots of the plant are said to be extremely tasty...or her pregnancy was giving her strange cravings...you pick.) Then a witch catches him red-handed, and in return for letting him go, the father promises to give her his child when she is born.

The only rampion thief I could think of was this father; his ransom might be his daughter, the long-haired Rapunzel? I do not at the moment know how this would reduce to the final step and will continue to mull it over, but thought that the above might be useful to others, if indeed it is on the right track.
    This is indeed on the right track.
    I provided the 3. (three words)
    Canus provided the 2. (2nd step)

We still need the 1. (one word)

The Arkenstone, Burglar Bilbo is lowered Rapunzel like down from the fortifications of Thorin and Co and uses the Arkenstone to ransom for peace.
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    The Arkenstone, Burglar Bilbo is lowered Rapunzel like down from the fortifications of Thorin and Co and uses the Arkenstone to ransom for peace.
    Morthaur, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?
    Or, perhaps indulging in the Old Toby?

This is indeed on the right track.
    I provided the 3. (three words)
    Canus provided the 2. (2nd step)

We still need the 1. (one word)
    The answer to this riddle is the same as the answer I recently provided for a different riddle.
    I was incorrect with that answer.

BTW: whoever answers this riddle correctly is expected (at least by me) to provide an explanation as to why it is the correct answer.

13. Dec 19 2012, 03:20 AM

Heehee good to see you posting again Boraxxe!

Okay I was already thinkin Lúthien had something to do with the answer if indeed this is what you meant. She and Huan used athelas (rampion) to save Beren. I can't puzzle out the rest though. I don't believe Lúthien stole the athelas, nor can I really figure if the Silmaril they took could really be considered a ransom.

Maybe this will help ya'll out though.

Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

BTW: whoever answers this riddle correctly is expected (at least by me) to provide an explanation as to why it is the correct answer.
    I agree w/ Bam' here. Luthien, because she grew her hair long and used it to escape from the tree in which Thingol imprisoned her to prevent her from going after Beren. I suppose you could say Luthien is a type of Rapunzel. If this is correct, I would defer to Bam' and say he should pose the next riddle, if not I suppose the guessing shall go on.

BTW; It is indeed good to see ya back on this thread Boraxxe.

I'm fairly sure Lúthien, as said before, is the correct answer, but after re-reading the story about Lúthien and Beren from Silmarillion, I'd like to tell my theory of the riddle.

Rampion thief = Rapunzel thief, as said before, could refer to Lúthien's father Thingol - because he enthralled the "rapunzel" of this story, "stoling" her from Beren.
    Ransom = currency/item paid for the freeing of a hostage

What did Thingol want from Beren "for Lúthien's hand"? Silmaril. Could "ransom" mean something similar, in metaphorical way, to "dowry" in this riddle? I don't know, but such an idea sprung into my mind after reading all the comments.

EDIT: Now that I read this, it feels stupid, but I'll let it be here, just for my own embarrasment and joy, hahaa!
    Last edited by Dweorg; Dec 19 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    I agree w/ Bam' here. Luthien, because she grew her hair long and used it to escape from the tree in which Thingol imprisoned her to prevent her from going after Beren. I suppose you could say Luthien is a type of Rapunzel. If this is correct, I would defer to Bam' and say he should pose the next riddle, if not I suppose the guessing shall go on.

BTW; It is indeed good to see ya back on this thread Boraxxe.
    Yes, bambu3 is correct and your reasoning (they both used their hair like a ladder) is spot on.

Cool! Well I have a go then but I need some time to percolate. New one coming soon!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Okay lessee if anyone remembers this one...

Vulpes's halfling musings

Not a 3 2 1

The home brew is not the issue, its the bloated sense of wellbeing that comes from third breakfasts.
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Okay lessee if anyone remembers this one...

Vulpes's halfling musings

Not a 3 2 1
    Vulpes are foxes vulpes vulpes being pro'ly the most commonly known fox in the northern hemisphere. I seem to remember something about a fox or some foxes seeing the hobbits sleeping and thinking it was wierd (queer?) to see hobbits outdoors, or out of the shire or something like that at night.
    So, fox's thoughts about hobbits?

Vulpes are foxes vulpes vulpes being pro'ly the most commonly known fox in the northern hemisphere. I seem to remember something about a fox or some foxes seeing the hobbits sleeping and thinking it was wierd (queer?) to see hobbits outdoors, or out of the shire or something like that at night.
    So, fox's thoughts about hobbits?
    Two for two! Take it away...for the second time even!

Okay, not a 3-2-1.
    Bears' Guest Obtained

Seems easy to me,
    but we shall see
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Dec 21 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fix my bad clue.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Okay, not a 3-2-1.
    Bears Guest Obtained

Seems easy to me,
    but we shall see
    Hm, if "bears" indicates to the noun "bear" and not the verb, I'd say the answer is "honey-bread". Or have I got lost into the forest now?

Okay, not a 3-2-1.
    Bears Guest Obtained

Seems easy to me,
    but we shall see
    I was thinking a little different - Bear could refer to Beorn. In that case, the Bear's Guest(s) would be Thorin & Co. That's where it gets hairy, because that company obtained Erebor, the Arkenstone, the One Ring, Glamdring and Orcrist, to name a few of the more important things. And also honey-bread.

If "Bear" is meant in the verb sense, then I'm stumped. :P
    Last edited by Arathaert; Dec 21 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    lvl 105 Guardian | 105 Mini | 64 Hunter | 48 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV | Guardian Guide

Ah, I see that I was remiss in my spelling of my clue. Bears should have been Bears' as in the guest of bears. My fault entirely.
    as to the 3 word clue; think outside the box (or should I say the books?).
    BTW obviously both guesses are incorrect but again the fault is mine, this time.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast