We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Erebrandir's Horseshoe - What is it good for?

As promised, the full text of the message regarding Erebrandir's horseshoe...

It’s time to pull the veil back just a bit on the mysterious Erebrandir's horseshoe and what it does.

For starters, it does do something. Some may think it doesn’t, but it does! In fact, it does more now than when it was first introduced. This is why we’ve kept its effects a closely guarded secret. As time goes on, it grows more powerful! So when should you be using it? Some portions of the Epic story and certain festival events benefit from having this lucky horseshoe. In fact, the winter festival would be a good time to dust it off!
    Last edited by Sapience; Oct 11 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Oh noes.....
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    http://cruciblegaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    As promised, the full text of the message regarding Erebrandir's horseshoe...
    I knew it....on slow days, Turbine DOES troll their own fora.
    The forums are not an accurate representation of the thoughts and feelings of the whole player base. Those who like a particular feature are in the game enjoying that feature. Those who don't like it log out to mention it on the forums. It is a relevant but biased source of feedback, and any claims of community desire should take this fact into account.

When I click "Report Post" to report you for trolling, does it go into a general queue or can I request Celestrata or Ornaith specifically?

Gratz on hitting $6k for the ExtraLife campaign! And yay for info about Erebrandir's Horseshoe!!
    Jaedore Wishsong

Quote Originally Posted by Ailedra View Post
    I knew it....on slow days, Turbine DOES troll their own fora.
    Not trolling- he's posting it in response to meeting a goal to raise so much money for kids with the 24 hour gaming marathon. The notes supposedly come from the dev that knows in full what the horseshoe does.

So what I'm trying to figure out is, what is there in the winter festival that might involve a random drop or something it could influence...
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Well it explains the "Lucky" aspect of it. I've often wondered if it affected instance loot from chests...

Anecdotally, I was have a conversations with a PuG, about whether or not it affected the loot, one of the guys in the groups said there was no way. When I equipped it and opened the chest there was a Worn Symbol of Celebrimbor.

I guess I will be wearing it during all the Epic Quest stuff from now on...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by sirwillow View Post
    Not trolling- he's posting it in response to meeting a goal to raise so much money for kids with the 24 hour gaming marathon. The notes supposedly come from the dev that knows in full what the horseshoe does.
    I was unaware of the connection with the Extra Life campaign. That's a cool little community tie-in, and whoever had the idea should get an extra pat on the back.

However, now that I DO know....I stand by what I said...obvious troll is obvious
    The forums are not an accurate representation of the thoughts and feelings of the whole player base. Those who like a particular feature are in the game enjoying that feature. Those who don't like it log out to mention it on the forums. It is a relevant but biased source of feedback, and any claims of community desire should take this fact into account.

Interesting. I do believe it is the reason my main finally got the skeletal horse out of that chest in the haunted burrow. I also think it helps during the treasure hunt. That or I'm just lucky with that event.

I was unaware of the connection with the Extra Life campaign. That's a cool little community tie-in, and whoever had the idea should get an extra pat on the back.

However, now that I DO know....I stand by what I said...obvious troll is obvious

Not trolling. I made it very clear what it would and would not include in the post stating the goal.

And it does reveal several things. And with a little thought it should actually tell you quite a bit about both what it does now and will do in the future (that's another tip off BTW).

I bring it out of my vault for the treasure hunting festival thing...one of the dwarves, if you notice, suggests to take something lucky into the fields. So thats when I bring mine out, thank goodness I kept it! I wonder what other hidden powers it has

Very cool info!

Gratz on hitting another goal!

I'm pushing my kin and friends to donate as well!

GREAT JOB AND KEEP IT GOING!

Quote Originally Posted by sirwillow View Post

So what I'm trying to figure out is, what is there in the winter festival that might involve a random drop or something it could influence...
    Chance of getting on stage in the theater comes to mind. It could also make the wood trolls drop more wood for that quest, I suppose. Oh, and it could affect the gift boxes as well.

And, well... I guess I'm trading my Great River bauble out for the horseshoe until I complete the new Epics. :P
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

What in the world could it effect in the Epic Story??

Some many new questions!!
    [CENTER] [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001029cf/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [B][COLOR=darkorange]

Purposely using proper grammar and punctuation since 1998![/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Commodore64 + 8B RAM + 7MB HD + 286 + Gravis Ultrasound Midi [/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Winter Festival gift boxes seem a likely candidate
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000e8954/01003/signature.png]Yurick[/charsig]

Not trolling. I made it very clear what it would and would not include in the post stating the goal.

And it does reveal several things. And with a little thought it should actually tell you quite a bit about both what it does now and will do in the future (that's another tip off BTW).
    I suppose it depends on your definition of trolling....in my book, dropping something vaguely concrete, yet still intentionally opaque enough to incite wild speculation, conversation, and the occasional fisticuffs, knowing full well the consequences, qualifies.

(In all seriousness, grats on hitting your (escalating) goals for a worthy cause, and thank you for the effort you and the other community folks put in....I was just reading that thread while you posted. I missed the whole Extra Life thing, and I'm sorry that I did. It was a cool give back in all directions, both to the charity and to the community.)
    Last edited by Ailedra; Oct 11 2012 at 06:03 PM.

Oh no! I've chosen that as a reward on both my mini and guard, but finally chose another reward on my rk (my now main), thinking it didn't actually do much good bah, humbug!

Now I just need to figure out what it does for the Epic quests... can we reveal that when we hit $8 or $10k? :P

And with a little thought it should actually tell you quite a bit about both what it does now and will do in the future (that's another tip off BTW).
    Come to think of it...

- A: It was introduced at the start of Volume III. Well, in Book 2 of Volume III.
    (Thus, one would think it effects that Volume and forwards).

- B: It's a horseshoe. Where are we headed? To Rohan. Which is full of? Horses.

That said, I can't think of any points in particular where the Epic had anything relying on luck, aside from maybe the drop chances on quest items. The vast majority of Volume III is travelogue with an occasional bit of combat...

"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin

Some food for thought:

One of the NPC's at the Treasure Hunt event said something to the effect of "one should always carry a lucky item in their pocket, like a horse shoe."

I kept my horse shoe pocket item equipped nearly the entire event. In total I'd estimate I found over 60 huge dig sites (no life, treasure hunted non stop - and I stopped counting when I got over 50)

This however did not seem to have any bearing on getting a mount out of the huge site, as I was at huge site #55 or so when a cave claw steed finally appeared. My character that got a treasure laden mount is a level 7 who obviously does not have the horse shoe.
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.

My guess is it has something to do with horses. Reduced chance of getting hit by mobs? 1% faster? with Rohan being based upon horses, the epic storyline involves horses no doubt. Probably the horse goes faster during the festival horse races?
    Nevanna~Lynxa~Amasal~Lagurtha~ Hybiscuits
    "I am rather tired, and no longer young enough to pillage the night to make up for the deficit of hours in the day..." JRR Tolkien, Letter # 174

I suppose it depends on your definition of trolling....in my book, dropping something vaguely concrete, yet still intentionally opaque enough to incite wild speculation, conversation, and the occasional fisticuffs, knowing full well the consequences, qualifies.

(In all seriousness, grats on hitting your (escalating) goals for a worthy cause, and thank you for the effort you and the other community folks put in....I was just reading that thread while you posted. I missed the whole Extra Life thing, and I'm sorry that I did. It was a cool give back in all directions, both to the charity and to the community.)

Haven't missed it, yet! The event takes place on Oct 20th. You've still got time to get a donation in and pick up the titles and a shot at the other incentives up for grabs.

If the horseshoe actually does do something, you guys are total jerks for making it a one-time only quest reward that you have the choice of not even getting in the first place.

23. Oct 11 2012, 06:08 PM

Congratulations on reaching the $6,000 goal! And thank you for making good on the reveal. That's more information that I ever expected to hear about the horseshoe in any sort of official capacity. As you said, it's not a point by point reveal, but it does imply some interesting things. Of course, it also creates lots of new questions.

Still, I'm just happy to learn that it definitely does something! Now we have a better idea where to look for effects. Consider me re-intrigued! And thanks again for the info - very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    If the horseshoe actually does do something, you guys are total jerks for making it a one-time only quest reward that you have the choice of not even getting in the first place.
    It's no different than any other quests that offer reward choices you only get one shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigram View Post
    It's no different than any other quests that offer reward choices you only get one shot at.
    Except that it has in-game effects that you can't achieve by any other means.

27. Oct 11 2012, 06:16 PM

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast