We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Falls of Rauros (inc. tutorial to get the deed and not die!)

Hello!
    So, I had 9/10 on my East Wall Explorer deed. I knew the only place left to go were the mighty, the magnificent, Falls of Rauros. I had heard tales of their glory, and of their peril in equal measure. Few had managed to travel there and survive. Luckily, I have the privelege to say, that I, Stephenfry, Dwarf Explorer (and Photographer) Extraordinaire, am one of the few (ish). And, like a good explorer, I will share my findings with you.
    Start at Parth Galen in the East Wall, and swim, a long way, past the mighty Tindrock, until you reach the Falls. Then, keep swimming, past the large central rock until you're very, very, very close to the edge. You will find that the raging torrents are actually going over you, and you can even stand up! Hell, take your horse with you! The roar of the Falls, and the view from the top is truly a sight to behold.
    On my noble steed, Dave, at the top of the falls.

As I said, the water goes right over you. I'm there somewhere, I think!

So, when I said I survived, umm...I lied. I wanted to get a good picture of the view, as at the top, there's kinda too much water to really see anything. So I jumped. And I died. But the death effect, somehow, made the final picture even better. Its like the foam rushing over your face. Except it's not. It's your death.

I have to say, I'm very proud of this picture, it's my favourite so far!

See you soon,
    Stephenfry, Hunter, Photographer and Explorer Extraordinaire, Imladris.
    Stephenfry - LVL 85 Hunter; Bobbyo - LVL 47 Guardian; Hildifast - LVL 17 Warden; Felafel - LVL 11 Minstrel;
    [url]http://is.gd/ZZATQw[/url] feedback appreciated :D

Great view with the death fall

But t here is actually a way to do this WITHOUT dying

Once you reach the edge of the Falls
    Zoom in to 1st person view
    Look over the edge
    You will see a rock out-cropping in the cliff
    You can safely drop down to this and get the deed as you drop

No death, but no normal way to get off the cropping
    The only way is to map/port or get a summon
    Core P9 | ROG Crosshair VII Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | 64Gb RAM | RX 5700 XT 8Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 9.8

Quote Originally Posted by Malindruel View Post
    Great view with the death fall

But t here is actually a way to do this WITHOUT dying

Once you reach the edge of the Falls
    Zoom in to 1st person view
    Look over the edge
    You will see a rock out-cropping in the cliff
    You can safely drop down to this and get the deed as you drop

No death, but no normal way to get off the cropping
    The only way is to map/port or get a summon
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I actually got the deed before I jumped (you have to be in quite a specific place though). I just jumped to get a good picture
    Stephenfry - LVL 85 Hunter; Bobbyo - LVL 47 Guardian; Hildifast - LVL 17 Warden; Felafel - LVL 11 Minstrel;

I could swear I've seen Orcs milling about on a little hill area just to the right of the falls. Perhaps there's some way to get over there, and that could allow you to get the deed without going over or getting stuck?
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    I could swear I've seen Orcs milling about on a little hill area just to the right of the falls. Perhaps there's some way to get over there, and that could allow you to get the deed without going over or getting stuck?
    That place exists, and I saw it, but unfortunately you can't get up

Directions: As you climb the stairs of Amon Hen to the Seat of Seeing, bear left at the glade where Boromir and Frodo fought over the ring. There will be a path leading over the ridge and around the mountainside. A little further down the path is a spectacular view of the western plains. I love to come up here during T-storms.

Last edited by Oraekja; Oct 27 2012 at 12:06 PM.
    [I][FONT=Verdana]"[B]The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.[/B]"[/FONT][/I] [SIZE=1]~ Bedouin Proverb[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Oraekja View Post
    Directions: As you climb the stairs of Amon Hen to the Seat of Seeing, bear left at the glade where Boromir and Frodo fought over the ring. There will be a path leading over the ridge and around the mountainside. A little further down the path is a spectacular view of the western plains. I love to come up here during T-storms.

That's an awesome picture, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boblet1 View Post
    That's an awesome picture, and thanks!
    No problem, I didn't realize I hadn't hit that point in the live build yet so I just ran back out there to tag it. I think your solution was much more creative, and mine's not quite as thrilling as the view from the air. I love that line... "Its like the foam rushing over your face. Except it's not. It's your death." I swam over the edge a couple times and I couldn't have described it better.
    [I][FONT=Verdana]"[B]The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.[/B]"[/FONT][/I] [SIZE=1]~ Bedouin Proverb[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Oraekja View Post
    No problem, I didn't realize I hadn't hit that point in the live build yet so I just ran back out there to tag it. I think your solution was much more creative, and mine's not quite as thrilling as the view from the air. I love that line... "Its like the foam rushing over your face. Except it's not. It's your death." I swam over the edge a couple times and I couldn't have described it better.
    Hehe, thanks for the feedback!

That's awesome, Oraekja! Thanks for the tip!

I already have the deed, but now I have to go back there to enjoy the view.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

It's a great spot to admire the weather or watch the moonlight dance across the plain, it's too bad I only have DX9 capabilities. Looks like there may be a trail that could open with the next expansion so I've been trying to get down those falls alive for a while now. "Théoden" told me not to come back across the Entwash, he didn't say anything about the Anduin. He probably just didn't think anyone would be block-headed enough to try.

The path Oraekja mentioned leads past the Falls, into a ledge.... which at least in Beta also harboured an insta-death zone, if one went too far around a corner. And yeah, there are orcses there.

My bet's on this area being a 'gate' into Anórien in a future expansion.

But the view's awesome already!

You don't have to go to the falls to get the deed. swim to 60.6s,45.8w and it's magic, deed done !

Quote Originally Posted by ArtPendragon View Post
    You don't have to go to the falls to get the deed. swim to 60.6s,45.8w and it's magic, deed done !
    That's correct, you can just go near the falls (can't remember exact coordinates) and you'll get it.

But very nice screenshots, and I gotta say I love your character's name!