We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Plugins Load But Don't Appear?

I've only been playing a week, so newb alert. Windows XP.

I started using Compendium and SortBag. They worked fine in my game.

Exited and did life stuff. Reload the game, and now those plugins do not work.

The weird thing is that "Plugins manager" (/plugins manager on Chat window) tells me they are loaded. Yet the appropriate icons do not appear on my screen.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps there is relation to the fact that I am getting an error message every single time I exit the game? .....

There are a lot of things that could be going wrong. First, when you say you are getting an error message every time you exit the game, it sounds as though you are referring to the Windows dialog that displays when an application has to be stopped by the operating system. This dialog will usually have two buttons, one to send an error report to Microsoft and the other not to send the error. That particular type of error will not stop plugins from loading and is not likely the cause of your current issue. There is a known issue that can cause the client to crash when logging out, but that also will not prevent plugins from loading or running. If you are referring to another error, please give details including the message.

To troubleshoot plugin loading issues you should first make sure you are not attempting to load the plugins via the Turbine Plugin Manager as plugins can sometimes be initialized before the ingame chat display so error messages that should have gone to chat can be lost. Then load the client and make sure that you have the "Standard" and "Error" channels both enabled for your chat window (right click on the top of the chat window, click "Filters" and make sure "Stanard" and "Error" are both selected). Then follow the author's instructions on how to load the plugin manually. If you are using the english client this will be something like "/plugins load xxx" where xxx is the name of the plugin. If you see an error message, copy it from the chat window and post it in the download page thread for the plugin so that the author can give you more help.

If you do not see an error but rather get a message that the plugin loaded (most plugins will provide such a message) but still do not see an icon or other window, then it is possible that the icon has gotten positioned off screen. This is usually due to problems with changing resolution or windowed/full screen mode but can also be caused by failures handling numeric values in settings files. The simplest solution again is to post your problem on the specific plugin's download page and ask how to force the icon/window to be displayed (usually this will involve deleting the plugin's settings file).

Unfortunately, you have to provide some better details on what you are doing for more specific help, such as:
    Which game client language are you using, EN, DE or FR (shown on the top right of the log in screen)
    Are you using a non-english version of Windows?
    What resolution do you use? Have you changed resolution or full screen/windowed mode?
    Are the plugins set to load automatically via the Turbine Plugin Manager?
    Have you checked your chat window for error messages, often you have to scroll it up since plugin error messages can occur before the "you have joined the xxx channel" messages.

I am using EN client.
    English version of Windows.
    I'm using various resolutions ... have switched it a few times, trying to find the one I like. Full screen mode.
    Yes, I have been using Turbine PlugIn Manager.

I see you are telling me NOT to use Turbine PI Manager (I assume that's what you get when you type '/plugins manager' in chat window).

But now I don't know how to TURN IT OFF or un-install the use of it. Perhaps that is the source of my problem.

Seems like step one is to get Turbine PI Manager out of the picture, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-in-Middle-Earth View Post
    I am using EN client.
    English version of Windows.
    I'm using various resolutions ... have switched it a few times, trying to find the one I like. Full screen mode.
    Yes, I have been using Turbine PlugIn Manager.

I see you are telling me NOT to use Turbine PI Manager (I assume that's what you get when you type '/plugins manager' in chat window).

But now I don't know how to TURN IT OFF or un-install the use of it. Perhaps that is the source of my problem.

Seems like step one is to get Turbine PI Manager out of the picture, and I'm not sure how to do that.
    If you changed resolutions after using the plugins that is likely the reason they are not showing properly in which case you may have to post in the threads on the plugins' download pages asking how to get the icons to show if you changed resolution and they are off screen.

The Turbine Plugin Manager is an integral part of the client and isn't enabled or disabled. The issue here is strictly due to the need to debug a problem so you want to be in control of the plugin loading to make sure that you do not miss any error messages. Use "/plugins manager" (or the system menu) to open the Plugin Manager window and select the plugin from the list then make sure that the "load for" list says "None". This is only for debugging purposes to be sure that you see all messages that the plugin generates when it is loaded. Once the problem is resolved, you can go back to loading them automatically.

Yep, I'm good to go.
    It was both a Manager and a screen resolution issue, I think.

Thanks!