We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best setup to duo 3-man instances?

Hello there,

a friend of mine who is a Runekeeper want to try and duo some 3 man instances. I wonder what would be the best setup. Me tanking on a guardian or on a champion? Would it even be possible to tank that on a champ?

We could try off course but neither of my heavy-armour chars is 85 yet so I'm glad to hear about the experience of others.

Depends on an instance I guess. I could fairly easily solo some on my champion back at 75 and I duo-ed quite a bit of them in lot of combos, like RK/minstrel, champ/cappy (ok that one is kinda OP ), minstrel/guardian (classic), champ/champ, champ/guard, champ/hunter, champ/LM..... as you can notice I mostly play my champ and yes we are quite capable of tanking.
    There is actually a good thread about tanking going on on champion part of the forum and I suggest you read it if you want to know ins and outs.

Thanks! I will definatly give the champ a go. I read the tanking-post on the champ forum, I was just asuming people were mostly talking about champion tanking in a full fellowship.

Hi,

Fastest would probably be champ+anything that can heal or warden+any dps-class.

But if you like easy-mode (but a bit slow, mind you...) : Guard+Mini. My wife and i have managed to duo almost every 3-man there is on level with this combo, and we are pretty far from 'max-geared hardcore-players'

Only SH, SotGG and Webs left to beat at 85... I can see Webs giving us 'a bit' trouble, but probably easy doable for less casual players than us.

Regards and good luck!
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

I solo most of 3-Man with my Champ at 85 (but not SH, too many bats...)
    (or even lower level raids like DN or easy 85 skraids like Necro)
    Webs of the Scuttledells is easy to do : you just tank the boss near the entry and adds don't come (same thing for SotGG , if you stay far from bosses, add don't come either)
    Last edited by Castorix; Mar 01 2013 at 05:36 AM.

If you only run T1 both set ups would be fine.

Guess it also depends on how squishy the RK is. If he or she can handle herself during trash, i would go with champ. If its a more helpless type of player and a glass canon, i would go with Guard. Guard is safer and champ is faster.

Staying alive is never really the problem when chimp tanking, you dont need 18k morale and high mitigations to tank 3-man. Problem for a champ is keeping aggro on trash and adds. Very easy to miss a few archers or they resists and go for the healer or dps and your force taunts on cooldown. Cant really group up mobs and keep a solid threat like Warden and Guard.

Problem for duo with a guard is the time. Killing is slower hence more dmg is distributed, need more heals, big skills might be on cooldown, more things can go wrong etc.

Not sure about running T2 as a duo, only done that successfully with IP a few times. Pretty sure i get molested trying to duo any other 3-man T2 with Champion + other, the challenge would be undo-able for sure.

Champ and a Captain has been the best that I've found.Can duo any of the 3 on tier 1 easy.You can add any other class to those and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
    Not sure about running T2 as a duo, only done that successfully with IP a few times. Pretty sure i get molested trying to duo any other 3-man T2 with Champion + other, the challenge would be undo-able for sure.
    I havent tried any lvl 85 group content yet but at 75 I duoed 3 man skirmishes on T3 with a (very good) cappy. It was a blast.
    I did quite a lot of T2 3 man skirmishes in a duo with a tanking champion as well and it went extremely well.

Tried it last night!

Warden and captain for sure. Blow through SH t1 in 11 minutes with a HOH capt and blue line warden.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000340e5/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Tartooth-Driven View Post
    Warden and captain for sure.
    This.

If you have only guardian and champion at your own disposal, then champion + captain that is. This duo is a bit faster than warden+captain, but may have difficulties in some situations. Warden+captain are just unbeatable with all the healing and defence skills they get.

Update: after rereading your post I see that you only choose between two duos: champ+RK and guard+RK... I see very little difference between two. If it is a duo with a champion, RK will probably need to off-heal a bit. If it is a duo with a guardian, RK can go full dps and just switch to healing in rare cases... So maybe ask your RK friend what he likes most? As a healing RK myself, I prefer duos with guardians/wardens/tanking geared/traited (thus almost non existent) champions.
    Last edited by Lunasa; Mar 01 2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtara - Beorning | Ishtari - Rune Keeper | Ishtarel - Hunter
    Lunasa - Minstrel | Cabernetta - Guardian | Ishtaridas - Lore Master | + many more
    Eldar -> Evernight

Frisco is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Considering you're looking for something to go with RK, I would suggest Captain, and the RK going DPS. If he's going to be healing, I'd say Champion. RK can put out some pretty mean single-target heals, so most stuff could probably be done without you having to do much actual tanking--just kill it quickly!
    Last edited by Frisco; Mar 01 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

To the Op, you should also consider the warden to go with the rune keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
    I often do Sword Hall T2 challenge as a duo Warden/champion and it is not so hard, you should give it a try : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSEVVt6wxKU.

Any warden + dps should be able to do it in my opinion. Probably captain + dps also. Tank+heal would be too low on dps I guess.
    Leonydoc Poingdépice ~ Waden 85 ~ Sirannon[FR]
    Celenyx Ashenstar ~ Hunter 85 ~~ Proud members of ~~
    Narnyel Ashenstar ~ Runekeeper 85 ~ Guardians of the Argonath ~