We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Hello again, world! I've got a question, in case anybody's actually looking at this corner of the forums.

The abovementioned-by-me LotRO MIDI Player stopped working a little while ago--some Java issue? I haven't totally given up on it, but I thought I'd try to get MIDI2KEY to work, since it seems so straightforward. But I can't--or rather, I can't get the three-octave version of things to work.

I have, of course, taken one of the existing three-octave configuration files and renamed it to MIDI2KEY.ini. But no joy: it seems like the program sticks with its default configuration no matter what. I expect I'm missing something--but what?

Edit: You know what? I think I got it. In case anyone's as obtuse as me: I forgot that, in Windows 10, changing the extension of a file's some kind of tricky endeavor. If you, for example, just rename a file from "MIDI2KEY.kwee_3" to "MIDI2KEY.ini," you've accomplished precisely nothing, since you haven't actually done a thing with the extension. Which means, in this particular case, that you've just got a file called "MIDI2KEY.ini.ini," which of course MIDI2KEY won't recognize as a new configuration file to use at all. Duhh. Fixed now.
    Last edited by Iralith; Dec 24 2016 at 12:36 AM.
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white: Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Surprised people still use this. heh For those that don't know, there was once a time when LOTRO did not support .abc file playback and the only way to play music was "live" using your keyboard. That's where this came from.

Anyway, I can't edit the original post anymore, but just came here to say that I found and subsequently put the source--such as it is--up on github.com.

https://github.com/taerin-markman/midi2key

I, at least, am still using this guy! In fact I've really only newly begun to use it: I used to use a different bit of software to play live, but it seems not to be compatible with recent versions of Java. Or something; I really have no idea.

Anyhow, I have a question, just in case you're still watching this thread.

I feel like MIDI2KEY is a little less sensitive than the app I used to use, Lotro MIDI Player. That is . . . I suppose you'd say, its minimum interval between key/note presses seems a bit bigger than Lotro MIDI Player's, such that I can't play as quickly. Could be my imagination, but I don't think so. There are some possible reasons for this in the in-game settings, but I think I've eliminated the ones I know about: I'm in low latency mode, and I don't have "quantize player music" on. And--huh, OK. I notice that I can hit actual QWERTY keyboard keys and get notes much more quickly than MIDI2KEY allows me to. So it does seem to be something in the app, not something in LotRO.

So--any ideas why that'd be? Is it just some weird unknowable thing? Is there some throttling that MIDI2KEY does? An issue with my keyboard (but, like I said, I don't think I had this problem before)? Something that can be tweaked somehow?
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white: Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

FWIW, I've now gotten LotRO MIDI Player behaving again. It does indeed take faster input, note.

I still think MIDI2KEY is awesome, even if I've wound up not using it at the moment! Just posting this in case NolaquenTaurina sees my question above and feels a need to go digging around in the code.

Does this program even work anymore? I can't get it to work at all, even after mapping everything correctly.
    Allanar [Lv95 Huntsman] - Vilya

Guilded Master Woodworker, Westemnet Master Forester, Westemnet Master Farmer
    Amateur Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by Iralith View Post
    I feel like MIDI2KEY is a little less sensitive than the app I used to use, Lotro MIDI Player.
    I did notice the same. I never did get to the bottom of it. It doesn't intentionally do any throttling.

Quote Originally Posted by djrackley View Post
    Does this program even work anymore? I can't get it to work at all, even after mapping everything correctly.
    It would not surprise me if the program didn't even run at all. It is over 14 years old. It's older than GitHub. My hope in putting the code up there that someone would want to take up the charge to bring it up to modern standards. I'm unfortunately very much not the right person to do that--I'm a Mac guy and am flying blind in Windows. Sorry about that!

1 - Its already on github: https://github.com/taerin-markman/midi2key
    2 - Zedrock's binary works just fine. I just tested it. You can find the link a couple of pages back.

If you cannot get it to work, did you make a MIDI2KEY.ini file in same folder as the .exe? It has to named like that.

The only problem I found, is that I have mapped some notes to keys on my Danish keyboard that MIDI2KEY don't like. Like 'å' and '¨'.

And of-course remember to set Low-latency to ON and Quantize to OFF in Lotro audio settings.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4