We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MIDI2KEY - Using a MIDI keyboard in LOTRO

Hi all,

Backstory
    The original backstory now requires its own backstory. There was once a time when LOTRO did not support .abc file playback. The only way to play music was live, using your computer keyboard. Most people playing with the music system then found this cumbersome and there was a desire to play using a MIDI keyboard instead. Now, onto the original backstory...

So, a few days ago (around the time of this original posting) I started playing LOTRO and immediately fell in love with the music system. I found the keyboard input a little awkward to use, though, as it seems many of you have. I wanted to use my MIDI-capable keyboard instead. So today I wrote a small utility that accepts MIDI data in real-time from all MIDI input devices on your computer and translates the notes into something applicable to LOTRO.

MIDI files to ABC files
    If you're looking to convert MIDI files into ABC files playable on LoTRO's music system, this is not the tool you need. Try this one created by Digero!

Usage
    These instructions assume you already know how to connect your MIDI keyboard to your computer and have already done so.
    1. Download.
    2. Unzip to anywhere.
    3. Run program and follow the instructions that appear on the window for mapping your keys in-game (unless you want your own keymapping, in which case edit the accompanying .ini file).
    4. Then, with the utility running in the background, start up the music system in LOTRO and play your MIDI keyboard.

Turbine's Terms of Service Concerns
    I do not believe this violates (technically nor intentionally) those terms as it does not modify gameplay in any way, does not interact with the game software in any way, except to send it key events by way of LoTRO being the active application at the time, and does not allow any kind of scripting activity. This is simply a real-time converter from MIDI events to keyboard events so that musicians have a more familiar style keyboard to use for music. However, that is their call, not mine and I have notified them of this utility and thread for them to do with what they please. Turbine has informed me that this tool likely falls under "hardware support" category, which they have already stated is acceptable.

Source Code
    You may find the source for version v.0.9.0.4 here. Please send me any changes you'd like added to the main release and I'll get them in there with appropriate credit.

Updates/Revision History
    I'll come back to this post and edit in updates as I have them.

Release notes for v0.9.0.4:
    - Added ability to customize key mapping via a MIDI2KEY.ini file in the same directory as the executable. Several example ini files are included. To use one of them, rename it to "MIDI2KEY.ini" and restart the program. The program will use a default key mapping if no "MIDI2KEY.ini" file is present.
    - This version allows a full 3-octave mapping by using one of the supplied .ini files as mentioned above.

Release notes for v0.9.0.3:
    - Includes a simple arpeggiator function. When enabled, simply hold down several keys on your MIDI keyboard for the arpeggiator to walk through them. You may choose to limit the arpeggiator to only the lower-octave notes by checking the "Freehand high octave" option. Also, by default, the arpeggiator walks down the note scale but you can have it walk up the scale instead by checking the "Crawl Up" option.
    - Included some basic filtering for notes so that the same keyboard event is not sent to the application multiple times simultaneously. (This was only creating lag issues and didn't actually affect the music being played since it was essentially the same note overlapped.)

Release notes for v0.9.0.2:
    - Included the use of Q, the note "B" just below middle-C.
    - Included option to alternate or not alternate each octave.

Release notes for v0.9.0.1:
    - Remapped octaves such that each octave alternates the use of LOTRO's low or high-octave note sets. This creates a more "varied" sound more easily.

Release notes for v0.9.0.0:
    - Initial release.
    Last edited by NolaquenTaurina; Feb 12 2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Updating some links, adding some info

Re: MIDI2KEY - MIDI keyboard to LOTRO music system utility (v0.9.0.0)

[removed - these notes no longer apply to the most recent version]
    Last edited by NolaquenTaurina; Jun 02 2007 at 05:27 PM.

Nolaquen, YOU DA MAN!

After spending several hours and not getting GlovePIE to see my midi notes, yours did it in the 2 minutes it took me to download it, run it, and create a text file to test it on. Tarindel - and any others who haven't been able to get GlovePIE to work - this little gem might be the answer to your problems as well! (I sure hope so.)

One thing I noticed, although my midi kbd C4 is LOTRO's lowest note, and my C5 is the octave up from that, my C6 is LOTRO's lowest note again, not its highest. (Confirmed this also in a text file test. You need to let C6 output the "3rd octave C.")

I *sure* hope you upgrade this to support all 3 full octaves when the June patch comes out! Actually, for testing in text files, you could support 3 full octaves now; just let us assign the keymapping that your program uses.

Thank you so *very* much for this!

Sincerely;
    Kwee

P.S. For reference, I'm running WinXP Pro, E-MU MidiX 1X1 USB/Midi converter.
    Last edited by Kwee; Apr 28 2007 at 09:04 PM.

Hi Kwee...glad this works for you! I was a bit nervous about how well this would work for most people since I only have one configuration of hardware to use to test with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwee View Post
    One thing I noticed, although my midi kbd C4 is LOTRO's lowest note, and my C5 is the octave up from that, my C6 is LOTRO's lowest note again, not its highest. (Confirmed this also in a text file test. You need to let C6 output the "3rd octave C.")
    Try downloading and using the 0.9.0.0 version. I made this change on purpose in v0.9.0.1 to make it easier to add a bit of depth while I'm keying on my MIDI keyboard.

I *sure* hope you upgrade this to support all 3 full octaves when the June patch comes out! Actually, for testing in text files, you could support 3 full octaves now; just let us assign the keymapping that your program uses.
    Definitely (to both).

Nola, 0.9.0.0 has the high C correct, but the low B is still wrong.

That is, B3 on the midi keyboard should output a Q. It's outputting the octave J.

Don't want to sound negative; I *really* appreciate this tool!

By the way, I haven't gotten my game key from EBGames yet (it's "in the mail" HA!) But I'll be more than happy to test any future releases in text files til I can get back in the game.
    Last edited by Kwee; Apr 28 2007 at 10:27 PM.

Nola, 0.9.0.0 has the high C correct, but the low B is still wrong.

That is, B3 on the midi keyboard should output a Q. It's outputting the octave J.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. I assumed that Q would produce the same note as J in-game, just like R is the same as D, and I is the same as J. I didn't realize Q was a whole new note in the octave below middle-C. I'll fix that right now. Too bad it's the only note available in that octave. ;-)

Don't want to sound negative; I *really* appreciate this tool!
    Oh not at all! I appreciate and encourage the feedback.

By the way, I haven't gotten my game key from EBGames yet (it's "in the mail" HA!) But I'll be more than happy to test any future releases in text files til I can get back in the game.
    I would like this very much! Thank you! Incidentally, we are both using the same hardware. I, too, have an EMU Xmidi 1x1 USB/MIDI converter. :-)

Ok, v0.9.0.2 is up.

Nice job Nolaquen, I know Kwee is happy! And the community will really benefit from this overall.
    Ditch Quantizing!

I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth..

Tarindel - and any others who haven't been able to get GlovePIE to work - this little gem might be the answer to your problems as well! (I sure hope so.)
    I'll test it out tonight! I am excited at the prospect of getting this working!
    Burglar Extraordinaire
    Nimrodel Server

Very nice! It works like a charm. Much much easier to use than Glovepie, and it actually works.

For what it's worth, I'm using a Midisport Midiman 2x2 with a Novation Supernova II keyboard.

Thank you so very much, NolaquenTaurina. I am going to have a great amount of fun with this!
    Burglar Extraordinaire
    Nimrodel Server

I'm glad it worked for you, Tarindel!

Release notes for v0.9.0.3:
    - Includes a simple arpeggiator function. When enabled, simply hold down several keys on your MIDI keyboard for the arpeggiator to walk through them. You may choose to limit the arpeggiator to only the lower-octave notes by checking the "Freehand high octave" option. Also, by default, the arpeggiator walks down the note scale but you can have it walk up the scale instead by checking the "Crawl Up" option.
    - Included some basic filtering for notes so that the same keyboard event is not sent to the application multiple times simultaneously. (This was only creating lag issues and didn't actually affect the music being played since it was essentially the same note overlapped.)

Excellent job NolaquenTaurina!

I've tested it in notepad, and I'll try it in LOTRO later. Works like a charm!
    I've been waiting for someone with good programing skills to write a standalone program that emulates a piano.

For the record: I use a midisport uno usb and a casio keyboard, worked the first time with no hitch!

Just wanted to say thanks again for this utility. I spent probably an hour last night playing music in Combe, just for kicks. I was playing 4-note chords and they sounded great (well, they worked great!).

Much, much appreciated.
    Burglar Extraordinaire
    Nimrodel Server

Thank you Nolaquen! This works awesome!

OMG! I'm going to have to dust off my old keyboard (and it's think dust I might add) and find a USB/Midi converter. This sounds like fun.

This utility rocks. Haven't tried it yet but instead remapped my keyboard more like a piano. How do you deal with the lack of flats in the higher octave? Maybe we should ask the devs nicely for a complete and proper 2 octave range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorim View Post
    This utility rocks. Haven't tried it yet but instead remapped my keyboard more like a piano. How do you deal with the lack of flats in the higher octave? Maybe we should ask the devs nicely for a complete and proper 2 octave range.
    They're going to do even better -- in the upcoming music patch, we'll get all notes in a 3 octave range!
    Burglar Extraordinaire
    Nimrodel Server

so with this program, I'd be able to use my Yamaha PSR320 or 520 (one is in my room, one is in my garage - forget which) get a MIDI to USB cable and go to town?

Been wanting to hook the keyboard back up to my pc for recording purposes, just havn't taken the time to do so.

Funny how a game inspires me to get it going.
    Chrandir, Elf Hunter on Gladden
    Officer in The Syndicate, Currently Recruiting Fun Members
    [url]www.ddis-syn.org[/url]

hi all

this is a great program!

i have a few question though, as it will not work with my setup.

first, will it work with standard MIDI cables (in/out) into a soundcard? or do you need a midi to USB cable?

i have 2 physical soundcards with 4 "virtual" cards that i can pick from to record. will there be a release to force the program to use a certain card?

i mapped the keys correctly in game, but can not get it to sync with my main card (a M-Audio audiophile 24/96 with MIDI). i also use a M-Audio Delta 44, which could be getting something screwed up in my patch setup.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

LB

LiquidBronze,

Theoretically, it should still work with your setup. To make it a simple setup, I just open up all available MIDI-IN devices in your system at once and accept input from all of them.

Do you get any warning or error messages from the program when you try to run it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorim View Post
    I basically just repeat the lower-octave accidentals. I'm (slowly) working on a version that is configurable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichbane View Post
    OMG! I'm going to have to dust off my old keyboard (and it's think dust I might add) and find a USB/Midi converter. This sounds like fun.

i ahve a KB that says MIDI on it.. has jacks in the back.. how do i go about hooking it up to the PC???

Quote Originally Posted by Cookierawks View Post
    i ahve a KB that says MIDI on it.. has jacks in the back.. how do i go about hooking it up to the PC???
    Go to your local music shop or browse online for a USB MIDI INTERFACE. You could probably go with a MidiSport Uno 1X1, or any 1-in/1-out interface. It should come with the drivers on a CD.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]~Morg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]So say we all.[/FONT]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000012d73/01001/signature.png]Morgi[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaelin View Post
    Go to your local music shop or browse online for a USB MIDI INTERFACE. You could probably go with a MidiSport Uno 1X1, or any 1-in/1-out interface. It should come with the drivers on a CD.
    thx for the info.. this rawks. back 10 years ago i paid like 900$ for that KB and didnt even know why it had MIDI on it. i knew what it was for PC but didnt for the KB

anyway, for that adapter, how much does it run for?

is this it?
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...0723&CatId=449
    Last edited by Cookierawks; May 16 2007 at 07:32 PM.

Based on advice Kwee gave me:

Quote Originally Posted by Darnieq View Post
    I ended up buying the Yamaha UX16, which was the only thing my local music store carried. That and Nolaquen's MIDI2KEY worked beautifully!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast