We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Help Choosing A Class

I had every intent to level up a champion but I've had him sitting at level 43 for a long time now because I've grown somewhat bored with that class. Since then, I now have a level 17 minstrel, level 18 hunter, and level 17 warden.

I think I want to hold off on the warden because the only time I usually have to play the game is the weekend and I know that being able to play the game only two times a week is probably not a good thing when it comes to having to memorize all of the warden's gambits.

So I'm looking at either the hunter or mini to level up. I have some questions for people who have more experience than I do with those two classes:

1. Which has better survivability when it comes to soloing (because that's what I do 99.9% of the time)?

2. Which is quicker to level up?

3. Which is more fun to play?

I know that last question is very subjective but I would like to hear a lot of opinions on that one because my biggest fear is that I'm going to grow bored again with another class and I don't want that to happen. Also, if you would like to try and convince me not to give up on my champ, then feel free to do so.

*NOTE* Every class is going to be overhauled with Helm's Deep. So, take the following with a shaker of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boromir1013 View Post
    1. Which has better survivability when it comes to soloing (because that's what I do 99.9% of the time)?
    Warden, hands down. Once you get to lvl 20 and get the tanking stance, which gives you access to the self heals, you're neigh immortal.

Followed by Champ and Guardian. Guardian has more Morale/AC, but Champ has better self heals and hits way harder.
    Everyone but Guardian, but only by virtue as they don't have DPS close to other classes.
    Depends on what you find fun. I play all 9 classes; 7 to 85, 1 to 84 (my Burg is stalled because its MC is carp) and am currently playing a Guardian at 57.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    ... Everyone but Guardian, but only by virtue as they don't have DPS close to other classes ...
    Not correct. A guardian can put plenty DPS, if they gear for dps, use a 2-hand weapon, trait Keen blade & virtues for dps. The gear & virtues must use the stats: might/agility/fate/critical ratting for dps.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Not correct. A guardian can put plenty DPS, if they gear for dps, use a 2-hand weapon, trait Keen blade & virtues for dps. The gear & virtues must use the stats: might/agility/fate/critical ratting for dps.
    Maybe endgame... But, Guard was traited DPS, had a 2-hand weapon and virtues and still did carp for damage against Taushakh in the V1B4 instance.

Then again, it's probably because IG allows everyone take damage like a tank, it doesn't allow tanks DPS like everyone else.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing and keep leveling alts up to 20 or so. Best way to find what class "clicks" with you. Guard is mine, I have more guard alts than I can count!

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post

yup, very true. My main has a 2 H sword, uses the Keen blade traits, and has no problem with DPS. It's not just endgame either, I have a 58 guard with the same build. My 14 guard is sword and board though, gonna stick with that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

You mentioned having a Minstrel. They are ridiculously easy to solo, especially in warspeech. You get to blow stuff up fast enough you feel like DPS, and get all the benefits of full self healing. Going around in Harmony you don't kill quite as quickly, but you feel even more invincible thanks to the healing+damage nature of the coda. Minstrels are tough solo machines. I have been leveling mine and I find it fun. Your results may vary, of course. And the majority of the time (read: all the time) you'll be expected to heal in groups, which is generally different from your soloing experience.
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

So I'm looking at either the hunter or mini to level up. I have some questions for people who have more experience than I do with those two classes:

I know that last question is very subjective but I would like to hear a lot of opinions on that one because my biggest fear is that I'm going to grow bored again with another class and I don't want that to happen. Also, if you would like to try and convince me not to give up on my champ, then feel free to do so.
    If its just between the Hunter and Mini, I'd go with hunter.

Mini has roughly more survivability, but hunter has more tools available to work things out. One of the fun challenges with hunter is figuring out how to solve encounters. Mini's are mostly just blast and heal.

Faster to level up goes to the hunter, mostly because of travel....most landscape quests will be completed in same amount of time with either class, its getting there and back again that takes the most time, especially when you are under 60. Hunter wins travel time battle by far.

Fun to play in my book goes to hunter, primarily because you have more options in dealing with situations...do you lay traps, do you use CC arrows, do you just blast 'em down, do you kite like mad, or a little of everything. Mini's are blast/heal. Mini's will be able to solo 'tougher' stuff because of heals, but will be mind numbingly boring to do so. Essentially Mini's get a lot of buttons to press that do the same thing, Hunters get a lot of buttons to press that do many different things. You will die more with hunter, no question, but with defeat penalties removed it is much less of an issue these days.

It's hard to recommend any class at this point as they're all changing in a couple weeks with HD, we just have no idea what they will play like after the class revamps. I say play what is fun now and be prepared to change after the 18th.

I would say give them all a try - play what is the most fun for you. My only 85 in a roster of 15 is a hunter - that is what I enjoy the most - I solo only and have not had trouble with her. If you solo 99.9 percent of the time, then max level really is meaningless - what will you do then? No need to worry about what's quicker to level - it's all good fun along the way, at least I have found it so.
    As far as fun goes, after my hunter, I am working on a Champ, and a captain, having fun with both, in a very different way from the hunter.
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    It's hard to recommend any class at this point as they're all changing in a couple weeks with HD, we just have no idea what they will play like after the class revamps. I say play what is fun now and be prepared to change after the 18th.
    I have to agree with this suggestion.

Any opinions you form about the classes in the next two weeks are likely to be blown away by the changes in the upcoming expansion. For better or for worse, every class is undergoing significant changes. From the developer diaries we've been shown, some of these changes could even be described as radical.

I had every intent to level up a champion but I've had him sitting at level 43 for a long time now because I've grown somewhat bored with that class. Since then, I now have a level 17 minstrel, level 18 hunter, and level 17 warden.

I think I want to hold off on the warden because the only time I usually have to play the game is the weekend and I know that being able to play the game only two times a week is probably not a good thing when it comes to having to memorize all of the warden's gambits.

Minstrels hands down for all of the above. They are a force to be reckoned with. DPS with self heals, especially Anthems and bubble in Warspeech, it's almost impossible for you to die and talk about blowing through quests....with a Mini, easy.

For me, I'm working on a Guard, Captain, Minstrel and Lore Master...these are my favorite classes in order that I am playing at the moment.

1) Lore Master
    2) Captain
    3) Minstrel
    4) Guardian

It's not all about blowing through quests and content as fast as possible for me. I love the support, crowd control classes the best...and Lore Master and Captain deliver.

But for you, what you are asking, I would go with the Minstrel for sure. Hunters are fun too, but not nearly as much of a survivability class as the Mini.

Minstrel is exactly what you are looking for, based on what you want.

Have fun.
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Thanks for all of the replies!

I think I will just go back and forth between my mini and hunter for now and level them up until one of them clicks for me...and hope that the changes coming don't screw me over too much.

yeah, we'll see how HD ruins some classes, lol. Mini is very good for soloing, lotsa heals of course and they put our pretty good dps, definitely easier albeit simpler than Hunter. Hunter has many skills than make running around fun i.e. ports, increased run speed, stealth and such. They're not much for heals and are pretty squishy so they can be frustrating in that regard, but that can also make it more interesting b/c u have to really plan your pulls in multiple mob situations, set your traps, stun or root certain mobs, then burn baby burn. So it may go slower than Mini,for sure, but they can also be more fun if you're looking for a challenge. All that being said, the best class in the game is by far LM!! They start off slow, but end up with decent heals, good dps, lots of aoes, dots, and debuffs, pets, and overall are just totally boss
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000008cd9a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rasmaren-100 Hunter / Mallethwen-100 Lore-Master / Raslo-100 Minstrel / Agentmulder-100 Captain / Bramgarrok-85 Guardian

In my opinion the class you like best is really a personal thing.
    I started out with a hunter, a class which i like very much. I am now levelling a runekeeper. Which i absolutely love. The RK has so many options they are great healers, but also a brilliant dps class. For me this really is a special class.
    I also have a captain and champ. The captain I'm not greatly fond of at the moment. And for the champ I should really start playing her more often before coming to a conclusion. After Helm's deep is launched I'm also thinking of creating a minstrel.

But I have to agree with others, with the class changes coming up it might be best to at least wait to start a whole new char.

I wouldn't worry about levelling quick too much. Don't forget to enjoy the areas you quest in, explore and have fun!
    [img]http://www.djelle.dk/sig-lotro.jpg?&f=gp&id=7350385&lo=1x0s0xqh2j591&t1=Iminye%20Silithair&t2=Elven%20Maiden%20-%20Hunter&t3=Blossom%20in%20the%20Snow&k=Ignition&i=images6.alphacoders.com/358/358157.jpg[/img]

The only class I have been able to get to lvl cap is a guardian. Its survivability was unlike any other class i tried. I have a burg at 23, a hunter at lvl7 and just started a champ who is currently at lvl10 the burg and hunter and all the other classes I've tried just seem weak and boring(mostly boring and have been deleted or just sit there. my kin mates who see how well i play the guard got me to try the champ and I just can't to get it out of the boringness it is engulfed in either, but i will play it until lvl 20 to see if it gets better. I see most of these classes as boring. the mechanics aren't the least bit fun, in fact most seem to be horrible grinding zombies which I can't see anyone putting forth the effort to lvl them.
    Mean what you say and say what you mean! If you don't there are always consequences!

Advice is useless

1) Everything is going to change.
    2) What is boring for one is fun for another.

Try each until you decide for yourself. If you are in a hurry, that will change your opinion. If you like challenges, that will change your opinion. If you want to feel powerful, that will change your opinion.

I love the sheer power of my lvl 85 Champ, with her 1st Age weapon: she's a killing machine.
    I love the sneakiness of my lvl 84 Burg: when all else fails (and there's lots of variations to try), become invisible.
    I'm currently trying 4 other classes: Guard, RK, Mini and Capt. One for every mood?

Quote Originally Posted by LaGere View Post
    The only class I have been able to get to lvl cap is a guardian. Its survivability was unlike any other class i tried. I have a burg at 23, a hunter at lvl7 and just started a champ who is currently at lvl10 the burg and hunter and all the other classes I've tried just seem weak and boring(mostly boring and have been deleted or just sit there. my kin mates who see how well i play the guard got me to try the champ and I just can't to get it out of the boringness it is engulfed in either, but i will play it until lvl 20 to see if it gets better. I see most of these classes as boring. the mechanics aren't the least bit fun, in fact most seem to be horrible grinding zombies which I can't see anyone putting forth the effort to lvl them.
    hmm, u find Guard to be the class that ISN'T boring?!? lol, that's awesome
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000008cd9a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rasmaren-100 Hunter / Mallethwen-100 Lore-Master / Raslo-100 Minstrel / Agentmulder-100 Captain / Bramgarrok-85 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by LaGere View Post
    The only class I have been able to get to lvl cap is a guardian. Its survivability was unlike any other class i tried. I have a burg at 23, a hunter at lvl7 and just started a champ who is currently at lvl10
    Comparing survivability anf other things between a lvl 85 class and other low level classes has no sense (lvl 7, 10, 23...)

I have, among others, a lvl 85 Guardian and a lvl 85 Champion : the survivability of my Champion in Glory stance is a lot higher than the one of my Guardian... (mainly self-healing)